Lady Die

Plane, Train And Automobile Crashes

If the fuselage is blocking the stabilizer, why isn't the tip of the tail visible and why is it square-ended given that she's on an almost knife-edge?

It's a matter of perspective. We look at the plane from a weird angle. The wings are almost perpendicular to our liine of sight, but we look at its front at an angle of some 20 degrees forward. Its roll angle is such that the starboard wing is closer to us than the port one, some 70 degrees from horizontal. We see the (from our point of view) right part of the stabiliser. If you imagine the complete horizontal stabiliser through the fuselage, the middle should meet slightly left (up in our pov) of the center of the fuselage. Determine the center line by joining the gap between the landing gear and the tail.

Here's a similar plane at a more conventional angle:

640px-Aer_Arann_ATR-72_EI-REE_Bristol.jp

That one's not missing it's starboard engine, it's just hidden from view.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

I think she has still lost a bit.

Trans_Asia_1.jpg

Time will tell.

From

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60VAf_Nu4DM

I cropped the following:

Trans_Asia3.jpg

It's the last still frame I could get before impact. I see no damage to the stabilisers.

regards,

Hein

Looking at the latest cleaned up enhanced photos, I concur. Not a good idea to turn to port though when your port engine isn't working.

• Like 1

Looking at the latest cleaned up enhanced photos, I concur. Not a good idea to turn to port though when your port engine isn't working.

Perhaps the pilot thought "now's the time to really set out my stall"

Perhaps the pilot thought "now's the time to really set out my stall"

Or perhaps he thought he was Bob Hoover.

No it isn't.

The stabilisers survived the crash partly:

Trans_Asia_Stabilisers.jpg

regards,

Hein

Kudos to the taxi driver who'se car was grazed by the portside wing.

Trans_Asia.jpg

BTW, it does look as if the port prop is feathered.

regards,

Hein

Both engines failed according to Taiwan's Aviation Safety Council.

The crew 'tried to restart one... to no avail'.

So Inspector Clouseau gets to the accident scene... "I do believe it warz a beome!"

"A beome?"

"Yes, a beome!"

"Oh a bomb."

"Yes, that is what I said..."

"Do you know what kind of a bomb it was?"

"Yes. Without warning, they will attack you. In this way..."

"ahhhhhh...."

26th March edit...

Cockpit lock out... Suicide on the part of the other pilot? Or other pilot taken ill will the door closed?

I bet the pilot who crashed that plane in the Alps was gay. Not sure if that's related to the possible/likely suicide though...

Guest Guest

I bet the pilot who crashed that plane in the Alps was gay. Not sure if that's related to the possible/likely suicide though...

I have a shock announcement. He was a member of this forum

Nice speculation, but unless it was a lurker, I can rule that out by a process of elimination. The age isn't right.

Nice speculation, but unless it was a lurker, I can rule that out by a process of elimination. The age isn't right.

What, you're seriously suggesting he might have been a former member of a classic punk band!?

Awesome

• Like 1

One thing is for sure, Joan Armatrading's stream of royalty cheques might dry up for a bit...

• Like 3

JAKARTA (AFP) - An Indonesian ambassador who was on a Pakistani military helicopter that crashed this month killing two other foreign envoys died on Tuesday after battling severe burn injuries, Indonesia's foreign minister said.

Ambassador Burhan Muhammad, 58, was aboard the military helicopter, along with his wife and a delegation of ambassadors when it crashed on May 8 and set a school building ablaze in the Gilgit area of northern Pakistan.

His wife, the Norwegian and Filipino ambassadors, and the wife of the Malaysian envoy were killed immediately.

SC

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/asia/south-east-asia/story/indonesian-ambassador-dies-injuries-sustained-pakistan-helicopter-cr

Think this is as good a place as any...

Javier Methol, one of the survivors of the 1972 Andes plane crash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Andes_flight_disaster) where the survivors ate portions of the dead to survive, has died of cancer at 79. http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/lifestyle/2015/06/05/one-16-andes-plane-crash-survivors-dies-in-montevideo/

1 down, 15 to go.

• Like 1

Nasty - military plane hits residential area in Indonesia: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-33323419

"The BBC's Alice Budisatrijo in Jakarta says that only the tail of the aircraft is still recognisable; the rest has been reduced to debris."

Those folks live in bamboo huts... And it struck a hotel to boot. Ugh...nothing good coming of that. Talk about an efficient slaughter, Damn near sounds intentional, which I would never have suggested but for a particular German co-pilot recently.

SC

Both engines failed according to Taiwan's Aviation Safety Council.

The crew 'tried to restart one... to no avail'.

It's looking like a repeat of Kegworth; no.2 engine failed and no. 1 was shut down in error.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9JarHTIAAAgAy3.jpg:large

Official report confirms this

The report says that in a cockpit recording, the pilot is heard saying: "Wow, pulled back the wrong side throttle."
  • Like 1