Guest KateS

Margaret Thatcher

I suppose I was trying to find out if anyone had an opinion on Carol Thatcher and her green room remarks. Should she have been fired? Should Clarkson have been fired for his "one eye'd Scottish idiot" remark? My own feeling is that they were right to fire her. That said, she has been the only reliable source of info about her mother in the past year. On the other hand Clarkson and Thatcher (any of them) would be good guests for Friday night with Jonathan Ross. They could all go out together.

And if it is now open season on Carol Thatcher would it be shocking to point out that she looks like a wombat, just here, between us in the green room? Is wombat PC?

Im disgusted that Clarkson apologised for calling Brown a one eyed Scottish idiot.

Everybody knows that Brown is a f*****g idiot! Why apologise for telling the truth?

PS: Carol Thatcher looks like a dude.

I don't think it was quite so much the idiot part... more to do with his disability...

I didn't realise being Scottish was classed as a disability these days.

I suppose I was trying to find out if anyone had an opinion on Carol Thatcher and her green room remarks. Should she have been fired? Should Clarkson have been fired for his "one eye'd Scottish idiot" remark? My own feeling is that they were right to fire her. That said, she has been the only reliable source of info about her mother in the past year. On the other hand Clarkson and Thatcher (any of them) would be good guests for Friday night with Jonathan Ross. They could all go out together.

And if it is now open season on Carol Thatcher would it be shocking to point out that she looks like a wombat, just here, between us in the green room? Is wombat PC?

Im disgusted that Clarkson apologised for calling Brown a one eyed Scottish idiot.

Everybody knows that Brown is a f*****g idiot! Why apologise for telling the truth?

I don't think it was quite so much the idiot part... more to do with his disability...

It isn't............. but Welsh is :)

It was a remark made in a private conversation, why should she be fired? And my understanding is she simply compared someone's hair to that of a doll. Hardly crime of the century. Load of fuss about nothing, but in this current climate of 'don't mention the war' nobody can say anything for fear of a bollocking. Gets on my f*****g tits, all these do-gooders getting offended on everyone else's behalf. Half the time the people that 'might' have been offended by these remarks don't give a sh*t! And as for Clarkson, give him a knighthood, I say. Which part of 'one eyed Scottish idiot' isn't true? Exactly.

I have personal experience of this censorship stupidity at the moment - I called my senior manager a f*****g cock last week, in front of one of his colleagues. Now, nobody in that office can deny, the man is a f*****g cock. But now I've got the worry of wondering if I'm going to get grassed up, for a comment I made in a private conversation (albeit loudly, with my arms waving in the air). It's political correctness gone mad, I tell you. :)

It isn't............. but Welsh is :)

Thus spake the Scotman... slowly.

The mere fact that you believe what you say, speaks more for the former than the latter.

And any further discussion would do little except confirm it further.

It was a remark made in a private conversation, why should she be fired? And my understanding is she simply compared someone's hair to that of a doll. Hardly crime of the century. Load of fuss about nothing, but in this current climate of 'don't mention the war' nobody can say anything for fear of a bollocking.

Well, it wasn't entirely a private conversation. She was in the green room of a TV show with what sounds like the better part of ten other people, including journalists, so her expectations of privacy should have been significantly reduced compared to if she'd been in her car talking to her best friend. She reportedly referred to Tsongas as "that froggy, golliwog guy". She was asked to apologise, refused, so after five days the Beeb sacked her. I'm not sure they had a choice, especially as the story of what she said was so likely to become public given the number of people present.

Will the show, or anyone, miss Carol Thatcher? Would she have got the job but for her last name? Is she any better than any of probably several thousand replacement journalists?

Stupid honky Pom bitch.

It was a remark made in a private conversation, why should she be fired? And my understanding is she simply compared someone's hair to that of a doll. Hardly crime of the century. Load of fuss about nothing, but in this current climate of 'don't mention the war' nobody can say anything for fear of a bollocking.

Well, it wasn't entirely a private conversation. She was in the green room of a TV show with what sounds like the better part of ten other people, including journalists, so her expectations of privacy should have been significantly reduced compared to if she'd been in her car talking to her best friend. She reportedly referred to Tsongas as "that froggy, golliwog guy". She was asked to apologise, refused, so after five days the Beeb sacked her. I'm not sure they had a choice, especially as the story of what she said was so likely to become public given the number of people present.

he

Will the show, or anyone, miss Carol Thatcher? Would she have got the job but for her last name? Is she any better than any of probably several thousand replacement journalists?

Stupid honky Pom bitch.

What I meant by private conversation is that it wasn't broadcast, a la Brand/Ross - they didn't sack either of them. It clearly depends on which papers you read as to what was actually said and whether she apologised or not. She said she did apologise - why shouldn't she be believed? Why is Adrian Chiles' word taken as gospel? Fact is, nobody knows what was or wasn't said except those present, and how did it get into the public domain? Because someone grassed her up, like kids in the playground. What is it even doing in the papers anyway, how is it in the public interest and newsworthy?

Not that I give two sh*ts anyway, I don't even watch the show, can't stand that Irish woman. Oh, hang on, will I get bollocked for calling her Irish? Or a woman? :)

And I assume 'stupid honky Pom bitch' is aimed at Carol Thatcher, not me. Whilst I am indeed a honky Pom bitch, I'm not stupid. Most of the time. :D

he

Stupid honky Pom bitch.

What I meant by private conversation is that it wasn't broadcast, a la Brand/Ross - they didn't sack either of them. It clearly depends on which papers you read as to what was actually said and whether she apologised or not. She said she did apologise - why shouldn't she be believed? Why is Adrian Chiles' word taken as gospel? Fact is, nobody knows what was or wasn't said except those present, and how did it get into the public domain? Because someone grassed her up, like kids in the playground. What is it even doing in the papers anyway, how is it in the public interest and newsworthy?

Not that I give two sh*ts anyway, I don't even watch the show, can't stand that Irish woman. Oh, hang on, will I get bollocked for calling her Irish? Or a woman? :)

And I assume 'stupid honky Pom bitch' is aimed at Carol Thatcher, not me. Whilst I am indeed a honky Pom bitch, I'm not stupid. Most of the time. :D

The fact of the matter is that golliwog isn't just an innocent little doll. Because of the connotations and background of the word and the offence it can and does cause, it's alot more offensive than saying "I can't stand that Irish woman".

Er, yeah, I did work that one out.... :)

If he was to say myopic idiot, then that could be construed as implying something else...

I assume 'stupid honky Pom bitch' is aimed at Carol Thatcher, not me. Whilst I am indeed a honky Pom bitch, I'm not stupid. Most of the time. :)

Correct LB. Having not met you I wouldn't know for sure whether you were honky or Pom, but based on your posts on here, deffo not stupid.

The latest on Thatch Jr is:

Ali Bomaye

From that article: "The BBC's decision to drop Carol Thatcher from The One Show came after she made "multiple" offensive remarks about a tennis player, insiders have claimed. Sources have now told Media Guardian that Thatcher called the player a "golliwog", "half-golliwog" and "golliwog Frog". An insider added: "'Golliwog' wasn't the half of it, it is much worse than what has come out." "

If the BBC had kept her on the uproar would be twenty times as loud. I really don't get why Boris Johnson feels the need to come to her defence, which only conjures up memories of his own "pickananie" and "watermelon smile" remarks. Maybe voting for him wasn't such a clever idea after all.....

Does the monarchy have some use after all?

The Tories seem to have form in this regard. There was Tebbit with his cricket test, Alan Clark with "Bongo, Bongo Land" and Johnson with the above. The problem with this stuff is that it plays in to the hands of these people. Note they produce their own England golly badges. Fancy that. Lady Thatcher didn't seem to trust any Johnny foreigners and her other boot boy, Nick Ridley made it clear what he thought of the Germans and the French. I bet Carol's mam was proud of her.

The Tories seem to have form in this regard. There was Tebbit with his cricket test, Alan Clark with "Bongo, Bongo Land" and Johnson with the above. The problem with this stuff is that it plays in to the hands of these people. Note they produce their own England golly badges. Fancy that. Lady Thatcher didn't seem to trust any Johnny foreigners and her other boot boy, Nick Ridley made it clear what he thought of the Germans and the French. I bet Carol's mam was proud of her.

When she's not busy thinking that she's Peter Falk of course.

One up side of her dementure is that it probably gives some pro-NHS doctor the chance to break the bad news about her illness to her.......every day.

isn't this bitch dead yet. i would rather she died than that jade goody . how great it would be to see old maggie die a slow death hate this woman with a passion.

how great it would be to see old maggie die a slow death hate this woman with a passion.

Let's do lunch?

how great it would be to see old maggie die a slow death hate this woman with a passion.

Let's do lunch?

I'm sure you will both have a nice entertaining time together . Whinging on about nothing in particular....2 people caught up in left -wing media hype from the 80s.....

I , however , shall be hosting a fun party celebrating another day in the life of Maggie the Great One.....

see you there ?

Sure... Thatcher was great... if you were rich..... if you were poor on the other hand the Thatcher government was the worst time to live in the UK. Thatcher did indeed defeat the miners but her true motives lied in the fact that she wanted to destroy trade unions. In Scotland, where i live thatcher was particularly despised she set us back 20 years and its because of the peoples' strong dislike of her that the Conservative Party does extremely badly in Scotland today... they always poll behind the SNP, Labour AND the Lib Dems. The Scottish people will never elect a Tory government to our parliament here, not in a hundred years...

My biggest fear is that when David Cameron wins the next election... the Scottish people will be so outraged that when the Independence Referendum comes by... many people will vote to break away from the UK.. recent polls indicate that the desire for independence is pretty much 50/50... and to many of us who strongly oppose the idea of independence... there's very little we can do to keep the union

Sure... Thatcher was great... if you were rich..... if you were poor on the other hand the Thatcher government was the worst time to live in the UK. Thatcher did indeed defeat the miners but her true motives lied in the fact that she wanted to destroy trade unions. In Scotland, where i live thatcher was particularly despised she set us back 20 years and its because of the peoples' strong dislike of her that the Conservative Party does extremely badly in Scotland today... they always poll behind the SNP, Labour AND the Lib Dems. The Scottish people will never elect a Tory government to our parliament here, not in a hundred years...

My biggest fear is that when David Cameron wins the next election... the Scottish people will be so outraged that when the Independence Referendum comes by... many people will vote to break away from the UK.. recent polls indicate that the desire for independence is pretty much 50/50... and to many of us who strongly oppose the idea of independence... there's very little we can do to keep the union

I did fairly well once I started working in the eighties and my dad did extremely well under Thatcher, and we never voted for the Tories. In fact I've adopted voting habits from him. At the time we were living in William Whitelaw's - as in 'every Prime Minister should have a Willie,' - constituency. My dad voted against the Tories, even steeling himself to vote for the opportunistic mish mash of the SDP, who came within a few hundred votes of stopping David McLean replacing Whitelaw in 1983. The point of this rant being that it's a little simplistic to assume that propertied and/or fairly well off people are all natural Tories. Whitelaw's missus once came canvassing for her bloke to our house, and - child that I was at the time - it fell to me to open the door. Once she told me who she was I calmly told her there were no Conservative votes to be had in our house and 'no' I wasn't going to get my mum or dad to talk to her. She glanced back with a puzzled expression as she trundled back up our drive, and surveyed my old man's Jag standing there. She must've thought we were a shoo in as she was coming down that same drive.

I did fairly well once I started working in the eighties and my dad did extremely well under Thatcher, and we never voted for the Tories. In fact I've adopted voting habits from him. At the time we were living in William Whitelaw's - as in 'every Prime Minister should have a Willie,' - constituency. My dad voted against the Tories, even steeling himself to vote for the opportunistic mish mash of the SDP, who came within a few hundred votes of stopping David McLean replacing Whitelaw in 1983. The point of this rant being that it's a little simplistic to assume that propertied and/or fairly well off people are all natural Tories. Whitelaw's missus once came canvassing for her bloke to our house, and - child that I was at the time - it fell to me to open the door. Once she told me who she was I calmly told her there were no Conservative votes to be had in our house and 'no' I wasn't going to get my mum or dad to talk to her. She glanced back with a puzzled expression as she trundled back up our drive, and surveyed my old man's Jag standing there. She must've thought we were a shoo in as she was coming down that same drive.

I'm in the same boat I'd say.... my family are pretty well off yet we're very liberal and wouldn't vote for the Conservatives (especially not Thatcher). There are so many idiots in the UK that think politics is simply about poorer people voting Labour... richer voting Conservative but it's far more complex than that, especially now with Cameron's f**ked up party who are quite frankly... MORE left wing on many issues than Labour are...

I'd say politics in the UK in the past were far more straightforward but now they seem to be more or less all over the place. I'm really sick of ppl thinking Margaret Thatcher was some sort of Wonder Woman though.. history has preserved her legacy nicely.. but you have to look beyond people's overall opinions of her... examine what happened in the past carefully and listen to what her opposition at the time had to say...

Recent polls suggest that less than a third of Scots actually support independence. The odd poll, pounced on by the SNP, shows support close to 50% (usually with conditions attached).

One such condition would be 'if the Tories were in power...', which actually gave the Independence movement a majority. However, when it comes to the crunch, I doubt people will actually vote for independence based on who resides at number 10.

Lets face it - should the Tories win in 2010, the people of Scotland will have more on their agenda than independence. The fact that two of Scotland's largest banks would have collapsed without being bailed out by the UK taxpayer will be of great use to dampen Scottish confidence. As well as that, the SNP have failed in every policy proposal since being elected in 2007. Lets face it, in two years their most significant policy to pass was the abolition of the Student Endowment Fee - a move which has left Scottish Universities worse off. Everything else has been waffle, political grandstanding and fight-picking.

When the bank crisis was emerging, what were back bench SNP MSPs doing? Bringing forward a motion to have Mary Queen of Scots' remains repatriated to Scotland. They seem to neglect the fact that she spent the majority of her life trying to take up residence in London! The SNP have ignored the advice of their own advisors, and neglected nuclear power. Instead they claim that Scotland can generate enough energy using wind, wave and hydro power. This has been almost definatively rubbished, yet they continue to refuse nuclear power as a viable option. Perhaps it would be one failed policy too far? Another embarrasing climb down? I hope, for one, that they continue to reject the nuclear option. Then they will be left red-faced when the lights start going out in Scotland!

regards

Windsor the Doom-monger

Having grown up within a family who more often than not work in education (and thus family friends too) I had the odd one or two sterotypes about the tories that have moulded my viewpoint shall we say. It wasn't just the miners and dockers that went on strike, the teaching profession did too. Albeit not as frequently, they had a duty to educate the next generation.

However at university I was surprised to see the number of people who came from traditional working class backgrounds, perhaps the first in their family to go to university, that were staunch thatcherites. Northerners to boot. I don't think the voters ran along the poor/rich divide, if that were the case then either the poorer voters abstained or that the majority of the population were in fact "rich". Otherwise under that scenario, she couldn't have remained in power as long as she did.

this is all getting far too boring and dinner-partyish . We should get back to discussing the real issues e.g. "How hot was Maggie the Great one in the 80s? " or "What do we think was her hottest outfit ?" or "who was hottest...Maggie or Di ?"....etc

I come from a poor working class family of dockers . I cant speak from too much knowledge of the docks industry , but I can comment a little on the Steel Industry which I moved into after leaving Uni with my economics degree just about as Maggie the Great took over running the country . Britain was a joke . I spent all my days in the accounts office at British Steel playing desk cricket . The waste in the industry was impossible to calculate....all employees spent 90% of their time t*ssing it off going to union meetings and striking . Maggie tthe Great not only cured this , she made Britain Great too .The economy prospered...people who were willing to graft prospered...every one was a winner (if you chose to participate) . Just because a few lazy fat cat miners etc lost the huge pay packets they "earnt" does not make me regret being around at the height of Thatcherism one bit . All those lazy spongers should have got on their bikes a bit earlier instead of moaning .

What I cant understand is the bitterness that still exists even now ??? Get over it people....business has moved on . We would all be living in one of the poorest countries in the world if we were still having to pay hard earned taxpayers money to subsidise inefficient mines and steel-works .

And another thing....its a direct result of toss pot socialist policies that has caused my pension fund to crash this last year . oh....if only Maggie The Great was still running the country...... :rolleyes:

this is all getting far too boring and dinner-partyish . We should get back to discussing the real issues e.g. "How hot was Maggie the Great one in the 80s? " or "What do we think was her hottest outfit ?" or "who was hottest...Maggie or Di ?"....etc

I come from a poor working class family of dockers . I cant speak from too much knowledge of the docks industry , but I can comment a little on the Steel Industry which I moved into after leaving Uni with my economics degree just about as Maggie the Great took over running the country . Britain was a joke . I spent all my days in the accounts office at British Steel playing desk cricket . The waste in the industry was impossible to calculate....all employees spent 90% of their time t*ssing it off going to union meetings and striking . Maggie tthe Great not only cured this , she made Britain Great too .The economy prospered...people who were willing to graft prospered...every one was a winner (if you chose to participate) . Just because a few lazy fat cat miners etc lost the huge pay packets they "earnt" does not make me regret being around at the height of Thatcherism one bit . All those lazy spongers should have got on their bikes a bit earlier instead of moaning .

What I cant understand is the bitterness that still exists even now ??? Get over it people....business has moved on . We would all be living in one of the poorest countries in the world if we were still having to pay hard earned taxpayers money to subsidise inefficient mines and steel-works .

And another thing....its a direct result of toss pot socialist policies that has caused my pension fund to crash this last year . oh....if only Maggie The Great was still running the country...... :rolleyes:

The only troll bigger than this lives under the Sydney Harbour bridge. I'm not taking the bait.

The only troll bigger than this lives under the Sydney Harbour bridge. I'm not taking the bait.

How did you find out where BCAlum lives?