Grim Reaper

George Melly

His 20-year-old grand-daughter was in the audience and stopped him trying to return to the stage, instead accompanying him to hospital.

Unlike Kylie, who's got a small army fighting to keep her healthy, recording, gigging and EARNING, Melly is the kind who could just push his frail frame too far in these circumstances. A cruel deadpicker could have a whip round and book him to play the local Turkish baths!

I think he wants to go on to the very end and why not? Good on him. If he's there at the end of the year, which I doubt, he's a definite for my 2008 list.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6301957.stm[/url]

(George) Melly Velly Unwelly

Speaking from their home in Shepherd's Bush, west London, his wife, Diana Melly, 69, said: "I believe he became dehydrated during the performance and just collapsed. He has been taking some new medication and I suspect it might have something to do with that."

The Liverpool-born entertainer and writer has been suffering from health problems including emphysema and lung cancer.

Glass of water = new cure for the Big C, anyone?

Edited by football_fan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6301957.stm[/url]

(George) Melly Velly Unwelly

Speaking from their home in Shepherd's Bush, west London, his wife, Diana Melly, 69, said: "I believe he became dehydrated during the performance and just collapsed. He has been taking some new medication and I suspect it might have something to do with that."

The Liverpool-born entertainer and writer has been suffering from health problems including emphysema and lung cancer.

Glass of water = new cure for the Big C, anyone?

Welcome aboard, dead grandmother.

I think you'll find a mention of Melly's problems here

He collapsed on stage. I guess the ninety degree lights are to much for a 81 year old jazz jammer. By the way everyone, if it's not allready reported an 81 year old blues legend BB King is hospitalized in Texas. Here is the link. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070126/ap_en_mu/people_bb_king

Wife is blaming it on some new meds he's on and says he'll be back on stage for Feb 10th.

I thought we were about to get out first hit there. Only 4 days until the end of Jan, are we going to get a death free month?

Someone has decided that George's old forum is just too difficult to read and so there is now a shining new forum up and ready to go!

He's a fine old chap - let's give him the best! :)

:party:

Someone has decided that George's old forum is just too difficult to read and so there is now a shining new forum up and ready to go!

He's a fine old chap - let's give him the best! :)

:party:

What a befittingly colourful forum it is too. Very George :)

Excellent. Flambouyant and well-lit. Nice job. :party:

Madame Defarge, I have a few things to say. First you posted 111 in this thread. And what ever else I had to say is forgotten allready.

Can the Department of Speculative Etymology do something with this?

Whatever happened to Professor Pestilence?

Certainly.

In Dutch, the word 'flambouw' means torch, so it seems this usage is both unnecessarily redundant and spot on.

regards,

Hein

I would like to see George Melly torched. This line says it all from the Hartlepool Deadlypool. :party:

'Jazz and blues singer Melly is what you get when you combine Hot Jazz with surrealist art and bisexuality. Lung cancer is what you get when you are George Melly.'

Certainly.

In Dutch, the word 'flambouw' means torch, so it seems this usage is both unnecessarily redundant and spot on.

regards,

Hein

I would have taken a punt on 'to stay afloat while on fire'. Not something that would come up often in every day conversation but handy to have stored away for the next time one dines with naval firefighters.

Guest Pinky
A good choice, he's got Emphysema and lung cancer,

not to mention having a very unhealthy lifestyle and being obese.

I can see him dropping dead while performing his awful jazz.

Ah, but he's also just finished a 2-week stint playing at Ronnie Scotts jazz club. Can't be that unwell.

In common with a lot of people on this year's list I think George Melly is a bit of a wasted contender. See him a lt around the West End and he seems to be in rude health. Overweight yes but miles and miles away from death's door.

George Melly has lived a fantastic life so far, and one that many would be envious of. I remember seeing him god knows how many years ago, old, overweight, with a bottle of scotch and a young blonde in the wings waiting for him. Respect at all times

A good choice, he's got Emphysema and lung cancer,

not to mention having a very unhealthy lifestyle and being obese.

I can see him dropping dead while performing his awful jazz.

Ah, but he's also just finished a 2-week stint playing at Ronnie Scotts jazz club. Can't be that unwell.

In common with a lot of people on this year's list I think George Melly is a bit of a wasted contender. See him a lt around the West End and he seems to be in rude health. Overweight yes but miles and miles away from death's door.

George Melly has lived a fantastic life so far, and one that many would be envious of. I remember seeing him god knows how many years ago, old, overweight, with a bottle of scotch and a young blonde in the wings waiting for him. Respect at all times

Hopefully he can hold out until 2008 as I forgot to put him on any list this year

Some opportunities to get a closer look here. Is anyone likely to be going along?

Nothing remotely close to West Cumbria, I was kind of hoping he'd add Workington's one and only gay bar to his touring.

He's got "early dementia" and all sorts of other health problems. Sounds promising.

He's got "early dementia" and all sorts of other health problems. Sounds promising.

Is it dementia in it's early stages or are they saying that he's of a youngish age for dementia to have set in?

Is it dementia in it's early stages or are they saying that he's of a youngish age for dementia to have set in?

The early stages of dementia

The early stages of dementia

oh well hopefully he can last out the year as I forgot to put him on any list :banghead:

oh well hopefully he can last out the year as I forgot to put him on any list <_<

I think there was a news report/article saying the same thing early last year, somewhere on this thread.

Ah yes, from June 19th last year, on this thread, with the link again.

So no change really from that article to this new one.

Once again, the BBC last with the news, only about 9 months late. :banghead: