maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Bruce Dickinson wasn't the first singer with Iron Maiden, but he's the one everyone knows. Just sayin' like.

Bands replacing frontmen NEVER WORKS. It's always TOTAL BOLLOCKS. The only reason bands do it is for MONEY. Name me ONE TIME that a band has replaced a dead/sacked frontman/woman and they've then been as good as, or better, than they were before. I BET YOU CAN'T......

.....apart from when Iron Maiden brought in Bruce Dickinson to replace Paul Di'Anno. That's the ONLY TIME it's ever worked. But even they fucked that up when they recruited Blaze Bayley to replace Dickinson mid 90s.

Queen - bollocks

INXS - pile of wank

Bucks Fizz - utter smeg

I rest my case.

The Stranglers.

Would New Order count?

A) Not sure - do you mean when they replaced Hugh Cornwell*? Or was there a replacement before that, that I obviously wouldn't remember due to my youthfulness?

B) No.

* Hugh Cornwell wrote a song about my shitty hometown 'Please Don't Put Me On A Slow Boat To Trowbridge'

Yes. They've had more than one personnel change, but the current lead guitarist/vocalist has been with them for 15 years, which is about as long as Hugh was in the band.

:D at the song. I've just sent it to my mate who is currently heading in your direction on his narrowboat. :lol:

Guest mijkediablo

Faith No More got through at least 8 singers (including a pre-fame Courtney Love) before they found Mike Patton.

Guest mijkediablo

Sorry for the double post, but I had to add Can. Their work under original vocalist Malcolm Mooney was great, but when they replaced him with Damo Suzuki, they got even better.

Bands replacing frontmen NEVER WORKS. It's always TOTAL BOLLOCKS. The only reason bands do it is for MONEY. Name me ONE TIME that a band has replaced a dead/sacked frontman/woman and they've then been as good as, or better, than they were before. I BET YOU CAN'T......

.....apart from when Iron Maiden brought in Bruce Dickinson to replace Paul Di'Anno. That's the ONLY TIME it's ever worked. But even they fucked that up when they recruited Blaze Bayley to replace Dickinson mid 90s.

Queen - bollocks

INXS - pile of wank

Bucks Fizz - utter smeg

I rest my case.

The Stranglers.

Would New Order count?

A) Not sure - do you mean when they replaced Hugh Cornwell*? Or was there a replacement before that, that I obviously wouldn't remember due to my youthfulness?

B) No.

* Hugh Cornwell wrote a song about my shitty hometown 'Please Don't Put Me On A Slow Boat To Trowbridge'

Yes. They've had more than one personnel change, but the current lead guitarist/vocalist has been with them for 15 years, which is about as long as Hugh was in the band.

:D at the song. I've just sent it to my mate who is currently heading in your direction on his narrowboat. :lol:

Queen - bollocks

INXS - pile of wank

Bucks Fizz - utter smeg

I rest my case.

The Stranglers.

Would New Order count?

B) No.

No one can name a fucking song by the once great Stranglers post-Hugh, and I say that after partying with said version of band on my 30th birthday right after they released their first post-Hugh album (read: 1993). They're total shite after replacing the irreplaceable. Not to mention The death of Jet Black, who was he closest thing to a metronome in the biz.

SC

Queen - bollocks

INXS - pile of wank

Bucks Fizz - utter smeg

I rest my case.

The Stranglers.

Would New Order count?

B) No.

Queen - bollocks

INXS - pile of wank

Bucks Fizz - utter smeg

I rest my case.

The Stranglers.

Would New Order count?

B) No.

No one can name a fucking song by the on w great Stranglers post- Hugh, and I say that after partying with said version of band on my 30th birthday right after they released their first post-Hugh album (read: 1993). They're total shite after replacing the irreplaceable. Not to mention TE death of Jet Black, who was he closest thing to a metronome in the biz.

SC

Hmmm, they're a different band but I'd hold out an argument that Norfolk Coast is a really good album, way more than one good song. It ain't the Stranglers of old for sure but I've loved catching their last couple of tours. A bit like Echo and the Bunnymen they've got no chance of hits anymore but they've grown with their audience.

Re " TE death of Jet Black" Wiki - like two minutes ago - has him still breathing, albeit non-too-well.

• Like 2

Pink Floyd

Fleetwood Mac

Deep Purple

Pink Floyd

Fleetwood Mac

Deep Purple

Genesis replaced Peter Gabriel with Phil Collins. It was different but most of thier commercial success came after the change.

Pink Floyd

Fleetwood Mac

Deep Purple

Genesis replaced Peter Gabriel with Phil Collins. It was different but most of thier commercial success came after the change.

Yes, but they were crap, sorry TOTAL BOLLOCKS after Peter Gabriel left. Lardy will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that was her point.

Pink Floyd

Fleetwood Mac

Deep Purple

Yes, but they were crap, sorry TOTAL BOLLOCKS after Peter Gabriel left. Lardy will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that was her point.

They were crap, but then again I can't abide Phil Collins. But then again they acquired a much larger fanbase.

The Buzzcocks replaced Howard Devoto with Pete Shelley taking the majority of the lead vocals and Steve Diggle as backing vocalist (and lead on a few songs) and I would say they were a lot better.

Pink Floyd

Fleetwood Mac

Deep Purple

Pink Floyd

Fleetwood Mac

Deep Purple

I gotta disagree w that. Trick of the Tale was in line w classic prog material IMO, whereas Wind & Wuthering did see a drop off though still holding onto fragments of the band's genesis (oh yes pun intended), when Hackett left thy became a vehicle for Collins' pop material, ie TOTAL BOLLOCKS.

SC

Pink Floyd

Fleetwood Mac

Deep Purple

Aye, and to be fair, I went around telling people that ZZ Top had never had a line up change and then saw on their Wiki page that the current trio came about after some early hiring and firing. Some bands only make it once the wrong people are dumped. Jack Dee used to do a joke in which Pete Best's wife woke him up every morning with a cup of tea, chucking it on the bed and screaming: "Here's your tea Pete, you tosser!"

• Like 1

The Jams drummer on t' transistor there plugging his biog, and stated Weller only took lead geetar and vocals when Foxton joined, and punted him to the bass Weller had been on.

The Jams drummer on t' transistor there plugging his biog, and stated Weller only took lead geetar and vocals when Foxton joined, and punted him to the bass Weller had been on.

Similar thing with The Ramones. Dee Dee was their lead vocalist, and Joey was on drums, then they had a switch around and Joey was by far a better vocalist and frontman than Dee Dee would have been.

Pink Floyd

Fleetwood Mac

Deep Purple

Aye, and to be fair, I went around telling people that ZZ Top had never had a line up change and then saw on their Wiki page that the current trio came about after some early hiring and firing. Some bands only make it once the wrong people are dumped. Jack Dee used to do a joke in which Pete Best's wife woke him up every morning with a cup of tea, chucking it on the bed and screaming: "Here's your tea Pete, you tosser!"

iirc, ZZ Top's early drummer toing-and-froing hands over the title of the world's longest running, unaltered band as Los Lobos, who've been plugging away since 1973 and had their first recordings in 1976. Yo no soy marinero....

Pink Floyd

Fleetwood Mac

Deep Purple

AC/DC

Iron Maiden

Television

Sex Pistols (although they were known then as either the Strand or the Swankers)

Can

I did already say 'apart from Iron Maiden'. Anyway, most of these bands mentioned are over-rated hippy shit bollocks anyway - Pink Floyd (pile of shite), AC/DC (pile of wank), Genesis (two OK songs at a push).

But I'll concede on Faith No More. So that's two bands in the entire history of modern music that have replaced frontmen with better frontmen. Oh, fuck this, I'm off to listen to the entire Two Unlimited back catalogue.

• Like 1

I did already say 'apart from Iron Maiden'. Anyway, most of these bands mentioned are over-rated hippy shit bollocks anyway - Pink Floyd (pile of shite), AC/DC (pile of wank), Genesis (two OK songs at a push).

But I'll concede on Faith No More. So that's two bands in the entire history of modern music that have replaced frontmen with better frontmen. Oh, fuck this, I'm off to listen to the entire Two Unlimited back catalogue.

New Dave is okay, with old Chas, like!

Does that make three successful replacements?

New Dave is okay, with old Chas, like!

Does that make three successful replacements?

What? WHAT! NOOOOOOOOOO! I'M NOT HAVING THAT! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS FUCKING COUNTRY?

Guest awesome guest

Is this a good time to same David Bowie is overrated

Christ, I thought he'd died or been Yewtree'd for a second there.

It's always a good time to say that when I'm looking in, though I'm careful not to mention it in the presence of one of my friends who changed her name to Bowie (seriously).

It's always a good time to say that when I'm looking in, though I'm careful not to mention it in the presence of one of my friends who changed her name to Bowie (seriously).

Agreed, he's another one that in a career spanning what feels like 140 years he's averaged about one good song and one shit film per decade.