maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

BBC news just announced death of Ben E King. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32547474

2 DDP teams stand by their decision to pick him.

Fun Fact: Percy Sledge and Ben E King both had their songs used for Levi commercials:

If death comes in threes, than which other 60s soul legend is going to die soon? How is Al Green doing? (Apparently, fine.) Or Sly Stone?
Otis Williams, Little Richard and Smokey Robinson all seem ok too...but you never know.

Or it could just be Nick Kamen from another Levis commercial.

or B.B. King he's also had a song used for a Levi's commercial too
Phantom gets the Nostradamus award!!

B.B's song that was used was "Ain't Nobody Home" well there ain't nobody home now.

I got sick of hearing that song each time they played it.

First Ben E. King, now B.B. King.

Carole's next ? :scratchhead:

We can wish, how about Jonathon?

Guest awesome guest

First Ben E. King, now B.B. King.

Carole's next ? :scratchhead:

We can wish, how about Jonathon?

or Stephen seriously with how much of a party animal he was I wouldn't be surprised if they catch up with him but he is in no immediate risk at the moment

I've known two people recently that changed their name. Showing remarkable lack of imagination, both chose 'Smith'.

Really? What sort of boring dullard would choose to change their name to Smith? Oh, wait.......

Take your pick:

Maxine Carr

Mary Bell

John Venables

Robert Thompson

Ed Miliband

I have previously been likened to Maxine Carr, I used to have a well dodgy perm.

I changed my name to Smith before meeting my current beau, who is also a Smith - his mother was a Jones before she married a Smith. If/when I marry, I am seriously considering having a hyphenated name - Smith-Smith.

• Like 2

Bruce Dickenson given the all clear from his cancer thingy back in Feb.

• Like 1

Please no. We have more than enough music threads as it is.

Appreciated, but was asked for over in the Pop Stars Thread after Ben E King's death. A lot of soul music, particularly Northern Soul, was more or less niche and was neither "pop" nor engendered "stars" in the meaning of chart hits. It's worth a thread I think. Give it a chance?

If I had a say, I would combine them all into two topics, Classical Music and Popular Music, to include singers, musicians, composers, songwriters, conductors et al.

There are way too many topics on here, it wastes time and it makes it difficult to find things. It also leads to duplication of posts because of overlapping.

If I had a say, I would combine them all into two topics, Classical Music and Popular Music, to include singers, musicians, composers, songwriters, conductors et al.

There are way too many topics on here, it wastes time and it makes it difficult to find things. It also leads to duplication of posts because of overlapping.

When our beautiful, intelligent, charming, capable, charismatic, dignified, wonderful, excellent, humble, efficient and excellent admins inevitably make me admin I'll endeavour to undertake the kind of mass merging this site needs into distinct category threads.

Yay another category for miscategorizing someone who may have danced on the edge of a genre outside their ouvre once (see: Kings (Ben E and BB) mentioned under pop stArs.

SC

Soul topic merged to this one.

• Like 2

Chris Squire of Yes, diagnosed with leukemia.

Shit. He's my music idol, from my favorite band. Is no death sentence, but still. Stay well Chris.

SirC

[Edit: correct response -- NO!]

Founding member of Konono No.1 Minigiedi Mawangu has died:

http://music.mxdwn.com/2015/04/18/news/konono-no-1-founder-minigiedi-mawangu-has-died/

As a huge Björk fan, I recognize this group from their collaboration on her single "Earth Intruders". They became favorites of the World Music scene and also worked with Herbie Hancock and Seal.

And now former Björk collaborator DJ State of Bengal is dead:

http://www.dhakatribune.com/entertainment/2015/may/21/state-bengal-aka-sam-zaman-dead-50

He died of cardiac arrest at age 50, becoming the second Björk collaborator to die within a month.

Shit. He's my music idol, from my favorite band. Is no death sentence, but still. Stay well Chris.

SirC

He's also the only ever-present member of the band and a major part of their stage presence to this day. He plays bass with more of a show than Steve Howe plays lead.

Aye, wouldn't take any pleasure in culling points from him.

Guest awesome guest

SirC

He's also the only ever-present member of the band and a major part of their stage presence to this day. He plays bass with more of a show than Steve Howe plays lead.

read this death list community he us a slam dunk for 2016

SirC

It depends. There are several types of his type of cancer. I couldn't yet find out which type he has. There is a rare type with a very poor prognosis, but other types would have him likely survive beyond 2016.

SirC

It depends. There are several types of his type of cancer. I couldn't yet find out which type he has. There is a rare type with a very poor prognosis, but other types would have him likely survive beyond 2016.

Aye, and he's not short of a few quid if he needs the best treatment.