maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Kelly Jay, a former member of the Hamilton, Ont. band Crowbar, has died at age 77.

His son Hank announced on Facebook that the musician passed away in a Calgary hospital at 2 a.m. on Friday.

He has a massive stroke on the 9th....family said DNR. 

SC

14 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Kelly Jay, a former member of the Hamilton, Ont. band Crowbar, has died at age 77.

His son Hank announced on Facebook that the musician passed away in a Calgary hospital at 2 a.m. on Friday.

He has a massive stroke on the 9th....family said DNR. 

SC

When I first saw that here, I was like "wait, a sludge metal band had a billboard hit??"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowbar_(American_band)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowbar_(Canadian_band)

:D

7 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Guessing he'll soon be as fit as a fiddle? 

Some old joke about 80-yr old man tells hotel clerk ‘send up a 2x4, a violin, and a hoor’, clerk asks why and he says ‘at my age I don’t know if I’m going to whittle, fiddle, or diddle.’

On 16/09/2018 at 04:36, gcreptile said:

Christy Dignam update with a bit more focus on his health:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/aslan-frontman-christy-dignam-opens-13252506

Says he no longer faces a death sentence after a cure has been found for his “untreatable” cancer. At least we don’t have to hear him overdramatize his battle anymore Good for him. 

3 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Says he no longer faces a death sentence after a cure has been found for his “untreatable” cancer. At least we don’t have to hear him overdramatize his battle anymore Good for him. 

And those of us who had him on the DDP subs bench!

@Phantom missed this one.  Too busy celebrating 7777 posts and prepping for his birthday. :lol:

Jerry Lawson, who for four decades was the lead singer of the eclectic cult-favorite a cappella group the Persuasions, has died. He was 75.  Lawson died Wednesday at a Phoenix hospice after a long illness.  Lawson's smooth baritone led the group of five and later six singers, who were revered as the "The Kings of a Cappella" by their small but devoted fan base.

Through 25 albums (!) the Persuasions recorded rock, blues, gospel and pop songs, all with no sound other than their own voices, long after the doo-wop era and long before the "Pitch Perfect" movies, when a cappella was rare.

They had many famous fans including Rod Stewart, the Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia, the members of Boyz II Men and Frank Zappa, who gave their career a boost when he discovered them in the late 1960s.

They began in Brooklyn in 1962.  "It was just five guys who used to stand on the corner or go down to the subway station every night and just do this," Persuasions member Jimmy Hayes told the AP in 2000.  Joseph Russell, Herbert Rhoad and Jayotis Washington rounded out the original quintet.

They got their break when Zappa signed them to his independent label for their first album in 1969.

I LOVE that last line.  That is friggin awesome.  
SC

Sigh. Dont know if I should post here or Fringes of Fame or something...

Jimmy Johnson, Styx's guitar tech has passed away.

I always forget Styx exists. They have not one song that I've ever liked or that was memorable. Todd Sucherman is a pretty good drummer though.

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 19:33, Sir Creep said:

@Phantom missed this one.  Too busy celebrating 7777 posts and prepping for his birthday. :lol:

Jerry Lawson, who for four decades was the lead singer of the eclectic cult-favorite a cappella group the Persuasions, has died. He was 75.  Lawson died Wednesday at a Phoenix hospice after a long illness.  Lawson's smooth baritone led the group of five and later six singers, who were revered as the "The Kings of a Cappella" by their small but devoted fan base.

Through 25 albums (!) the Persuasions recorded rock, blues, gospel and pop songs, all with no sound other than their own voices, long after the doo-wop era and long before the "Pitch Perfect" movies, when a cappella was rare.

They had many famous fans including Rod Stewart, the Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia, the members of Boyz II Men and Frank Zappa, who gave their career a boost when he discovered them in the late 1960s.

They began in Brooklyn in 1962.  "It was just five guys who used to stand on the corner or go down to the subway station every night and just do this," Persuasions member Jimmy Hayes told the AP in 2000.  Joseph Russell, Herbert Rhoad and Jayotis Washington rounded out the original quintet.

They got their break when Zappa signed them to his independent label for their first album in 1969.

I LOVE that last line.  That is friggin awesome.  
SC

July 20th? I was celebrating my birthday

• Like 1

Widely reported on Twitter that Lol Mason has died. He was frontman of City Boy ("5-7-0-5") and, more importantly, one of the all-time great one-hit wonder acts, The Maisonettes. RIP stage-hypnotist-looking bro.

• Sad 2

Well, another miss for my TOTP theme team this year if true. Not even on my radar. Searches for news turned up nowt in December last year. RIP.

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Widely reported on Twitter that Lol Mason has died. He was frontman of City Boy ("5-7-0-5") and, more importantly, one of the all-time great one-hit wonder acts, The Maisonettes. RIP stage-hypnotist-looking bro.

Sad news. RIP.

• Like 1

And yet another miss for me team - Ian Gibbons of The Kinks who played on Come Dancing, reported dead by Dave Davies:

So, another selfless act of form studying awaits me tomorrow (the only one of the three days of A New Day) I'll be doing this year). Some conspiciously old rockers on the line up, as always. I'll let yers know.

https://anewdayfestival.com/welcome-schedule

• Like 1

Did one day of A New Day, nowt to report in terms of teetering proggers though the globular Thijs Van Leer continues to front Focus; clearly loving every second on stage and likely spending the results on snacks. Self-indulgent instrumental noodling of the highest order and I loved it, even the - basically - pointless scat singing he threw in.

800px-Thijs_van_Leer_2014_(14136035756).

On 01/08/2019 at 09:38, Spade_Cooley said:

Local newspaper obit of Lol Mason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, time said:

Local newspaper obit of Lol Mason.

That is an awesome write-up!

• Like 1