That's a horrible thing to have Six, apart from the painkillers :D , it happened to me too, no painkillers though, the dentist just yanked it out, hope you recovered quickly. (Belated welcome to the DL!)

Thank you for the welcome :P .

The abcess burst ( YEEEUCH!!!) after a day or so, then I had to get over the infection before I could go have all of my wisdom teeth removed. I HATE going to the dentist as I am not a fan of pain, so I paid silly amounts of money to the dentist so that he'd drug me up considerably before commencing with his nasty work! I was sedated :D and then the dentist removed two wisdom teeth that had broken through the gum, and one that had not broken through yet. I felt nothing at the time, but was in mucho pain for a long time afterwards!!!

It's all over now - and I've had two children in the five years since then- but it still makes me shudder just thinking about it.

This thread is revolting! I'm afraid I have no gruesome medical stories to share.

Please could somone correct the spelling of "docter" :D

Please could somone correct the spelling of "docter" :D

We can't do that! It's a Bansheeism.

When I was little I once had a SPELL (a little splinter of wood) in my finger and my mum removed it with a needle. Been OK since then.

Dont you mean a SKELF?

I thought that would be one that would have a local name, wonder what they call it in the US? It's a bit like chumping for wood before bonfire night. Not everyone calls it that.

When I was little I once had a SPELL (a little splinter of wood) in my finger and my mum removed it with a needle. Been OK since then.

Dont you mean a SKELF?

I thought that would be one that would have a local name, wonder what they call it in the US?

I'm pretty sure the generally accepted word is "needle," even in the US. Although why she used a needle and not tweezers is a little frightening. Maybe she just grabbed one of the discarded ones up off the floor.

Dont you mean a SKELF?

I thought that would be one that would have a local name, wonder what they call it in the US?

I'm pretty sure the generally accepted word is "needle," even in the US. Although why she used a needle and not tweezers is a little frightening. Maybe she just grabbed one of the discarded ones up off the floor.

They call it a "splinter". I've never heard of a "spell" meaning a splinter. Godot, please enlighten us, where's that term from?

You will be telling me next that you have never heard of a ginnel or a snicket. It might be localised to the West Riding.

Dont you mean a SKELF?

Young man I ought to put you over my knee, pull down your trousers and smack your bare backside for that remark. You wouldn't sit down for a week.

i had heart surgery done on a tuesday and was back at work on thursday.

:huh:

All you ladies and gentleman gather and listen. This thread was not my idea! Boudicca wanted me to post it. I didn't name it nor think of it...

It was edited by someone. :huh:

I had a huge, nasty abcess as a result of wisdom teeth coming through. Big-time ouch. I did get to take extremely powerful painkillers though, which helped me to float through a week or so of teaching year 3 children. That was one good week. :huh:

I went to the dentist recently to get a filling replaced. As I was skint I said no thanks to the injection. I told myself it wouldn't be quite so uncomfortable if it weren't for the noise and the vibration. But there was noise. And there was vibration. Tears rolled down my cheeks, my eyes rolled back in my head and I was quietly pleased I hadn't worn a good pair of underpants. Manfully ignoring their offers to 'stop if it got too much' I blocked out as much as I could and thought of how much money I was saving.

Later at the reception desk when presented with my bill ($110 NZD if you're interested), I asked how much extra I would have been charged for an injection. "Extra?" said the receptionist, "It's all inclusive."

Bastards.

A few years ago a dentist broke off a tooth she was trying to extract, leaving a bit in the gum. I had to go back & have the leftover bit cut out. Next day I woke up with a big bubble of blood in my mouth (lots of surface tension).

I had a "ripe" cataract removed a few weeks back. Despite the claims of the ophthalmologist that I wouldn't feel a thing I can assure the world that it is more than a "little uncomfortable" when someone sticks a needle in your eye.

I had a huge, nasty abcess as a result of wisdom teeth coming through. Big-time ouch. I did get to take extremely powerful painkillers though, which helped me to float through a week or so of teaching year 3 children. That was one good week. ;)

I went to the dentist recently to get a filling replaced... Later at the reception desk when presented with my bill ($110 NZD if you're interested), I asked how much extra I would have been charged for an injection. "Extra?" said the receptionist, "It's all inclusive."

Bastards.

Nasty, nasty, nasty!!!! B)

I could have paid £80. for each wisdom tooth extracted, one per visit, over three months. I paid £250. to a different dentist who sedated me and removed all three problem teeth in one go. Unbearable pain afterwards, but well worth the money!

I had a "ripe" cataract removed a few weeks back. Despite the claims of the ophthalmologist that I wouldn't feel a thing I can assure the world that it is more than a "little uncomfortable" when someone sticks a needle in your eye.

:):o:o How gruesom is that?!!

Anyone ever seen the picture of the weighlifter who suffered from an aggravated rectal prolapse?

I won't post a link to the picture here, because it's just too shocking for us mild mannered deathlisters

Anyone ever seen the picture of the weighlifter who suffered from an aggravated rectal prolapse?

I won't post a link to the picture here, because it's just too shocking for us mild mannered deathlisters

If thats the one who partly shat out his stomach then, yes I've seen it.

Rather revolting.

I'm at the physician and neurologist every 3-4 months...but all I have is MS, nothing else.

Sorry to here that MBH2, my parents next elderly door neighbour had MS too, how badly does it affect you?

Nasty, nasty, nasty!!!! :o

I could have paid £80. for each wisdom tooth extracted, one per visit, over three months. I paid £250. to a different dentist who sedated me and removed all three problem teeth in one go. Unbearable pain afterwards, but well worth the money!

I'm on a waiting list to have my wisdom teeth extracted, my dentist said he couldn't do it, that it would have to be done at my local hospital by an oral surgeon.

At least when I finally get it done it won't have cost me a penny as work done by an oral surgeon at an NHS hospital is free.

A small consolation I suppose, I think I'll stick to whisky to numb the after op pain, far preferable to other pain killers.

Nasty, nasty, nasty!!!! :o

I'm on a waiting list to have my wisdom teeth extracted, my dentist said he couldn't do it, that it would have to be done at my local hospital by an oral surgeon.

At least when I finally get it done it won't have cost me a penny as work done by an oral surgeon at an NHS hospital is free.

A small consilation I suppose, I think I'll stick to whisky to numb the after op pain, far preferable to other pain killers.

How lucky can you get, I've had 3 of mine removed at various times by my dentist for exorbitant amounts of cash, the one on the lower jaw came out in fragments and took ages to remove, I still have the other lower jaw one left, it needs to come out but my neither my dentist nor my hospital will touch it, something to do with the angle it has grown at and major blood vessels nearby, so it stays for the time being. From my upper 2nd left tooth round I have crowns and after that fillings from cracking my face and therefore teeth off the side off a Volvo Estate when it mowed me down on the pavement, I also gathered quite a few other wounds on my body, mostly my left thigh and buttock, my left heel was almost ripped off plus bruising from my face to my toes, but amazingly only one broken bone, I have a network of scars at the side of my left thigh just above the knee running 6 inches high and 3 inches wide, it looked like a patchwork quilt when it was sewn together, I have no feeling in the nerves on that side of my thigh. The longterm effects are scars to my buttock, thigh, ankle and heel, arthritis in my legs and ankles (diagnosed one year after my claim settled saying I wouldn't get it, life's is a bitch) complete fear of traffic, being in cars and severe depression. But that's life,and what happened to the person that knocked me down? Was she prosecuted for mowing down 4 people at a bus stop? No. why not? She was a Q.C. The law looks after their own, she even left the scene of her crime, she ran away instead of coming up to see whether we were alive or not, we were lying bleeding on the pavement. As the saying goes 'the law is an ass'

How lucky can you get, I've had 3 of mine removed... [snip]

...the saying goes 'the law is an ass'

Jesus, how bad is that? I suppose I've been lucky, as I've never had a broken bone, no scars to speak of, and most importantly as far as this thread is concerned, I haven't been to the dentist since I had my milk teeth and they're still fine i.e. correct colour, no holes, no pain, no squashing/crossing etc. Although I'm sure a dentist would find something wrong with them.

This thread should have been called Dentist Dentist!

I used to think having diabetes was bad (Type 1 that is, the far more exciting type) but people seem to mostly have had it far worse than me, pain wise. If it's any consolation though, my life expectancy is considerably shortened, and what with the smoking too I've got a whole list of deadly diseases queueing up to be the first one to knock me off. Still, can't see them coming yet so not too worried. Give it 20 years (fingers crossed) and I'm sure I'll look back and wonder why I didn't take more care of myself before the heart attack/ stroke/ thrombosis/ amputations/ blindness (take your pick) but there you are.

I suppose I could look up the various odds and get a roll-over sweepstake set up or something? The winner could use part of the fund to build a statue in my honour, as long as I last for a few years to build the fund up sufficiently anyway. :o

So I may be laughing now, but I doubt I'll be the one laughing best.... :D

I'm at the physician and neurologist every 3-4 months...but all I have is MS, nothing else.

Sorry to here that MBH2, my parents next elderly door neighbour had MS too, how badly does it affect you?

Not much, compared to most. I can walk a mile on a treadmill, but haven't been able to run in 9 years. I still hit the gym 3-4 times a week. I can still do leg presses with more than my own weight. I have a little muscle stiffness and some leg muscle spasms, but that's it for the most part. I still work 40 hours a week and can mentally keep up with the best of them.

I don't see a scooter or wheelchair in my future.

Just got a filling done............... £30.00 it cost, she dislodged the one that was already there when she done the scale & polish routine.

My frozen shoulder / painful arc is not responding to anti-inflammatory pills and I'm pretty much in pain all day and night. As I've said, the pain isn't THAT bad, but the fact that there is no let up is starting to annoy me.

Perhaps it's time for a cortisone injection.

Given that Lady G, of all people, warned me that it's very painful, I can safely say that I'm a bit apprehensive about it :o

Had a nasty accident on a barbed wire fence about 4 years ago. Needed a tetanus jab.

Last overnight stay was 10 years ago when I had malnutrition

Had a nasty accident on a barbed wire fence about 4 years ago. Needed a tetanus jab.

How did this happen? Were you running in the darkness while you were drunk?