Try keeping them up late every night the week before the Autumn time change (the time goes foward one). Gunjawoman and I have used this tatic for a few years, it seems to work with our early risers.

That way they're only up at five in the morning. :)

I'll try that. Are you also looking forward to their sleepy teenage years?

I have so far planned to do hoovering, lawnmowing and fried breakfast making at 6 a.m on the dot when our teenagers have had a hard night's clubbling.

All accompanied by Christian Radio played at full volume.

I would like to wall up in Room 101 the clocks going back / daylight savings time.

I was up at 4 a.m this morning with my dawn-rising son which made for a two hour wait until CBeebies came on television. I have never in my life been so glad to see The Teletubbies.

Now he's knackered and miserable but it's too early for bed, unless I want to get up in the freezing dark with no T.V again tomorrow :)

This is going to sound blindingly obvious but dont you tape some of the programmes?

When our youngest was, er, young, she could be plonked on the sofa in front of the TV watching "Come Outside" over and over.

They watch, you can sit with them and doze a bit..............

I would like to wall up in Room 101 the clocks going back / daylight savings time.

I was up at 4 a.m this morning with my dawn-rising son which made for a two hour wait until CBeebies came on television. I have never in my life been so glad to see The Teletubbies.

Now he's knackered and miserable but it's too early for bed, unless I want to get up in the freezing dark with no T.V again tomorrow :)

This is going to sound blindingly obvious but dont you tape some of the programmes?

When our youngest was, er, young, she could be plonked on the sofa in front of the TV watching "Come Outside" over and over.

They watch, you can sit with them and doze a bit..............

Funny, I have just finished a conversation with my neighbour about plonking babies in front of the telly. My eldest was a really good baby, but, because I was a scummy teenage mum when she was a baby, I hated getting up before about 11am - so I would stick her in the bouncy chair in front of the telly and she would sit there for hours, allowing me to catch up on me zzzz's. Skyplus a load of Tweenies and get a bouncy chair - sorted. Alternatively, move the cot into the garage.

I know what you mean LFN. We do have over 60 episodes of In The Night Garden clogging up our Sky Plus box. He's seen them all hundreds of times and Mr Bou is in the process of editing them and burning them to DVD.

I'm just incapable of doing anything more technical than changing a nappy and handing out biscuits at that time in the morning, especially since he still wakes up 4 or 5 times in the night kicking me and standing on my head.

Roll on teen years and Christian Radio! :)

Shine Jesus Shine!

He's now 17 months and walking so I can't do the strapping into bouncy chair / T.V thing. He likes chewing the T.V and laptop wires too so I can't snooze on the sofa either.

I know what you mean LFN. We do have over 60 episodes of In The Night Garden clogging up our Sky Plus box. He's seen them all hundreds of times and Mr Bou is in the process of editing them and burning them to DVD.

I'm just incapable of doing anything more technical than changing a nappy and handing out biscuits at that time in the morning, especially since he still wakes up 4 or 5 times in the night kicking me and standing on my head.

Roll on teen years and Christian Radio! :)

Shine Jesus Shine!

He's now 17 months and walking so I can't do the strapping into bouncy chair / T.V thing. He likes chewing the T.V and laptop wires too so I can't snooze on the sofa either.

Save Mr Bou some labour - just burn one episode of that stupendously crap In the Night Garden onto DVD; they're all the same, so Junior B won't notice.

Re: the kicks to the head; ever tried putting him in a separate cot?

:) Since birth, several times every night. We only co-sleep out of sheer exhaustion, not being enchanted with the lentil-weavery of attachment parenting. We just can't bear the screams, the choking himself sick, the high temperatures and the chucking up in distress and we have a daughter who needs to get up for school and my husband who has to drive the next day.

Do you have any other practical suggestions?

:) Since birth, several times every night. We only co-sleep out of sheer exhaustion, not being enchanted with the lentil-weavery of attachment parenting. We just can't bear the screams, the choking himself sick, the high temperatures and the chucking up in distress and we have a daughter who needs to get up for school and my husband who has to drive the next day.

Do you have any other practical suggestions?

Some kind of shock-absorbant helmet?

I'll look into it. Thank you for a truly practical solution :)

We have just had to get him out of his cot following foul D@V which has dirtied his cot, bedding and all the carpet and furniture surrounding it. Some people would say we are too soft and should have left him to wallow in the filth until he learns that night= sleep.

He's now clean, dry, medicated for the temperature he had and showing no signs of sleeping just yet but he's comfortable.

Wish I'd thought of just putting him in a cot :)

I'll look into it. Thank you for a truly practical solution :)

(We have just had to get him out of his cot following foul D@V which has dirtied his cot, bedding and all the carpet and furniture surrounding it. Some people would say we are too soft and should have left him to wallow in it till he learns that night= sleep. )

If he's managed to soil such a substantial area, maybe you're overfeeding him?

Equally, he might need the attention of a doctor?

The Tudor Solution certainly doesn't shock me. I also wouldn't be shocked if he already began unscrewing the light bulbs outside of his house just in case some trick or treater happens to lose his way. That's vintage John Tudor. The man might be in his early 70's but he still takes pride in hearing the kids knock as he watches 'The TV Guide" on "Basic Cable."(Vintage John Tudor, not a participent of holidays since circa 1979)

The Tudor Solution certainly doesn't shock me. I also wouldn't be shocked if he already began unscrewing the light bulbs outside of his house just in case some trick or treater happens to lose his way. That's vintage John Tudor. The man might be in his early 70's but he still takes pride in hearing the kids knock as he watches 'The TV Guide" on "Basic Cable."(Vintage John Tudor, not a participent of holidays since circa 1979)

:) Uncannily close to the truth in so many respects.

If he's managed to soil such a substantial area, maybe you're overfeeding him?

Equally, he might need the attention of a doctor?

He has been to a doctor thanks.

No mention of over-feeding. The Exorcist Effect is perfectly normal with older babies.

Make friends easily, do we? :)

Not for the first time, Cardinal Keith O'Brien.

This man seems to have trouble keeping his mouth shut. He represents a very small minority of Scottish people, yet he seems to hold disproportionate influence in the politics of Scotland.

When he becomes an elected representative, and not one appointed by a wrinkled old (now deceased) fart from the Vatican, he might be seen to have a right to hold influence in politics. (Yes, I know this is a bit rich coming from a monarchist).

The way the Catholics have been carrying on lately it may be worth reintroducing some sort of Penal Law to keep them out of politics.

(And to think that before I read that article, I was only going to rant about a woman on the bus who had a particularly noisy plastic bag).

Post adolescent extremity growth.

Beside the children's height marks on the side of the fridge, we now have horizontal, nose growth marks for me. Ear prints are also being considered. However, life being like it is, my genitals appear to be bucking this trend.

Post adolescent extremity growth.

Beside the children's height marks on the side of the fridge, we now have horizontal, nose growth marks for me. Ear prints are also being considered. However, life being like it is, my genitals appear to be bucking this trend.

Late onset hermaphrodism? :)

Those big, tacky, awful, horrendous plastic massive poppies that are stuck on the front of buildings, supposedly to remember the war dead. What a load of sh*t, they are horrible. OK, I assume that the companies displaying them have bought them from somewhere and the money has gone to the cause, which is good, but that doesn't stop them looking f*****g tacky and vile. Can't the companies just donate the money, and not have the great big plastic piece of sh*t gurning out from their buildings? We have one on the front of our County Hall and it makes the building look like a f*****g great big advert for Comic Relief. Nasty and horrible.

Those big, tacky, awful, horrendous plastic massive poppies that are stuck on the front of buildings, supposedly to remember the war dead. What a load of sh*t, they are horrible. OK, I assume that the companies displaying them have bought them from somewhere and the money has gone to the cause, which is good, but that doesn't stop them looking f*****g tacky and vile. Can't the companies just donate the money, and not have the great big plastic piece of sh*t gurning out from their buildings? We have one on the front of our County Hall and it makes the building look like a f*****g great big advert for Comic Relief. Nasty and horrible.

I hate the new poppys.

How the f**k are you supposed to put them on without a pin? The old versions were much more practical.

One of these days I'm going to buy one of these poppies and paint it black..

What's with the leaf anyway? Save our leafless poppy!

I agree and I'dd to that people wearing poppies before November. I agree with the poppy cause but seeing them everywhere from mid October cheapens the cause and turns them into a Christmas decoration.

I agree and I'dd to that people wearing poppies before November. I agree with the poppy cause but seeing them everywhere from mid October cheapens the cause and turns them into a Christmas decoration.

I have to admit to being a Legion Treasurer* and have some idea of the rules etc for Legion poppy collections.....Poppies should not be worn until two weeks before Remembrance Sunday. We've had them in stock, but not released them...next thing MPs and TV "personalities" are wearing them - just to be seen that they are ahead of everyone (pretty pointless, but they feel compelled to do it).

The reason that large companies (eg Sainsburys etc) place huge poppies on the front of their lorries etc is that they, separately, provide huge donations to the poppy appeal (which may go unnoticed) - and feel they have to brag about it as visibly as possible. Our Legion members collect outside various supermarkets (including Sainsburys) and that money is banked by that local Legion. However, I do agree that they are marginalising the true poppy collectors when they parade around metre-wide poppies. On the other hand......they are obviously noticed and - if that imprints on the psyche - then perhaps more poppies will be sold....I'll just dangle on the fence.

* Our tiny club collected over £65k during last year's poppy collection (with one donor handing over a £10k cheque) and have collected over £50k for each of the preceding five years. Interestingly, this year (despite the middle of a recession), we have been overwhelmed by poppy donations. Regardless of how we ended up in war, there is a common support for those who have had to needlessly "bear the brunt" as required by our Government.

I have to admit to being a Legion Treasurer* and have some idea of the rules etc for Legion poppy collections.....Poppies should not be worn until two weeks before Remembrance Sunday. We've had them in stock, but not released them...next thing MPs and TV "personalities" are wearing them - just to be seen that they are ahead of everyone (pretty pointless, but they feel compelled to do it).

The reason that large companies (eg Sainsburys etc) place huge poppies on the front of their lorries etc is that they, separately, provide huge donations to the poppy appeal (which may go unnoticed) - and feel they have to brag about it as visibly as possible. Our Legion members collect outside various supermarkets (including Sainsburys) and that money is banked by that local Legion. However, I do agree that they are marginalising the true poppy collectors when they parade around metre-wide poppies. On the other hand......they are obviously noticed and - if that imprints on the psyche - then perhaps more poppies will be sold....I'll just dangle on the fence.

* Our tiny club collected over £65k during last year's poppy collection (with one donor handing over a £10k cheque) and have collected over £50k for each of the preceding five years. Interestingly, this year (despite the middle of a recession), we have been overwhelmed by poppy donations. Regardless of how we ended up in war, there is a common support for those who have had to needlessly "bear the brunt" as required by our Government.

Fair points, well made. I'm certainly not knocking the cause, and if it brings in more money, then I suppose my whinge is pretty lame! But they're horrible!

I was thinking about the poppy thing today and wondering if other countries do it or have something similar. Does anywhere else observe a spell of silence? It seems to me this should be international. All countries must have experienced war.

I guess it's done in OZ and NZ. But what about Canada? Germany? France? Belgium?

I was thinking about the poppy thing today and wondering if other countries do it or have something similar. Does anywhere else observe a spell of silence? It seems to me this should be international. All countries must have experienced war.

I guess it's done in OZ and NZ. But what about Canada? Germany? France? Belgium?

11th November is the start of carnival season in Germany, at least it is in the Rhineland, so there isn't a rememberance day on that date . I think most Brits would be shocked to see the party atmosphere that abounds at that time of year in Germany. I think St Martin's day is sometime around then too, where children make lanterns and go round houses and get some strange bread stuff in return.

I'm racking my brains to think if there is a rememberance day in Germany. I don't remember there being one when I was there, perhaps NAP can confirm. Holocaust rememberance day is commemorated