I was thinking about the poppy thing today and wondering if other countries do it or have something similar. Does anywhere else observe a spell of silence? It seems to me this should be international. All countries must have experienced war.

I guess it's done in OZ and NZ. But what about Canada? Germany? France? Belgium?

I had to explain to my work mates in Belgium why I was wearing a Poppy. Maybe in Flandres they are more aware - I got it the week before on a trip to Ieper in the Flandres Field museum. I think the poppy must be a commonwealth thing, I was surprised they didn't know their history (neither did they know the significance of OK). I'm sure they have their own thing, I can't help you as to what it is but in Wallonia it is not the poppy.

Have yet to see a single poppy in France. Though we have Tuesday off and many people are doing "le pont", which means they take Monday off too. I can't envisage this long weekend being used as a period of quiet reflection or rememberance.

Although I am a poppy wearer, and always will be, and beleive quite strongly in wearing one, it irritates the hell out of me that every single TV show insists, no matter what the clothes worn, that a poppy be on there.

I think it should be a matter of choice, and if people don't wear them, that should be their choice too. I actually think it cheapens the meaning of the poppy, not make it more significant.

However, I think the "Daily Mail element" means if someone didn't wear a poppy on TV, they'd get lambasted and hung out to dry.

It would be nice if everyone felt they should wear one, but I don't like the fact that everyone is MADE to wear one.. that's just wrong.

Although I am a poppy wearer, and always will be, and beleive quite strongly in wearing one, it irritates the hell out of me that every single TV show insists, no matter what the clothes worn, that a poppy be on there.

I think it should be a matter of choice, and if people don't wear them, that should be their choice too. I actually think it cheapens the meaning of the poppy, not make it more significant.

However, I think the "Daily Mail element" means if someone didn't wear a poppy on TV, they'd get lambasted and hung out to dry.

It would be nice if everyone felt they should wear one, but I don't like the fact that everyone is MADE to wear one.. that's just wrong.

Well said, sir. <_< A few days prior to the 2-week poppy collection period, I was preparing poppy boxes for distribution and also noticed (on background TV) that most live programmes had presenters/guests with poppies on display...it's definitely some form of one-upmanship on other TV competitors, but it sort of misses the point. The poppy collection lasts for two weeks only and is sort of meaningless either before or after the collecting period.

I'm sure that, come tomorrow, these same presenters won't be playing a game of who can carry on wearing a poppy the longest.....they'll have been binned the moment they came off air today.

I was thinking about the poppy thing today and wondering if other countries do it or have something similar. Does anywhere else observe a spell of silence? It seems to me this should be international. All countries must have experienced war.

I guess it's done in OZ and NZ. But what about Canada? Germany? France? Belgium?

It's observed here in Australia, but isn't a public (bank) holiday. I don't remember it being a big deal in New Zealand. The big one for both countries is ANZAC Day, April 25, in rememberance of the day it was found the Turks would be a pushover at home.

but I don't like the fact that everyone is MADE to wear one.. that's just wrong.

I hope you saw HIGNFY on Friday night. Last year, Reginald D Hunter was a guest during the poppy period, and asked why the hell he was wearing the poppy (it had been pinned on him by a make up girl just before the recording started), and it was explained to him. He was on again last week, and he was not wearing a poppy.

The poppy used to always have 'Haig Fund' on the black bit. I'd have thought the last thing any veteran would have wanted to wear was the name of one of the Donkeys who sent them over the top. I take it it's now under the name of the British Legion now?

The poppy used to always have 'Haig Fund' on the black bit. I'd have thought the last thing any veteran would have wanted to wear was the name of one of the Donkeys who sent them over the top. I take it it's now under the name of the British Legion now?

Just checked mine, and it says 'Poppy appeal' on the black bit.

Just checked mine, and it says 'Poppy appeal' on the black bit.

The no more war movement tried and yet failed to replace the words Haig Fund on the poppies.

BTW, I think the PPUs white poppies are a fantastic symbol, which I have worn before but gave up because I was fed up of the hassle and argumentative discussions they tend to bring about. Kind of counterintuitive to their meaning.

I've had the same dilemma myself, Mono. I've compromised with a standard red poppy and a large "stop the war" badge.

The British weather. Specifically, today's. On the back of the delightful summer we never had.

And yet you know there'll be a hosepipe ban soon enough. Why don't they try keeping some of the water when it rains.

I would prefer it if there was an international poppy day, remembering sacrifice in war, but, if linked to a charitable body, helping all those who suffer through warfare, including land mine victims.

The problem with white poppies for me, is that they are too much of a political statement - a laudable aim - but poppy day is about something else.

Incidentally there is an Ian Hislop programme on BBC 4 tonight about conscientious objectors. One of the tests in WWI for English "conscies" was this question: would you stand by and let a German kill your mother? It was no easy option for those who maintained their objections.

I would prefer it if there was an international poppy day, remembering sacrifice in war, but, if linked to a charitable body, helping all those who suffer through warfare, including land mine victims.

The problem with white poppies for me, is that they are too much of a political statement - a laudable aim - but poppy day is about something else.

Incidentally there is an Ian Hislop programme on BBC 4 tonight about conscientious objectors. One of the tests in WWI for English "conscies" was this question: would you stand by and let a German kill your mother? It was no easy option for those who maintained their objections.

Just a thought, us calling tomorrow poppy day is it not the same as say calling shrove tuesday pancake day or calling christmas, Xmas where we remove some of the meaning? If we made a point of saying Armistace the younger generations could be more prone to enquire into its meaning.

I agree with you about having an international day, not poppies mind, I feel they should still be intrinsically linked with WWI and the fields of Flanders and Northern France. However in practise these things don't seem to be well publicised. I never knew about the existence of international womans day until I lived in Belgium, and then only from people coming from countries where woman are far from on an equal footing with men. There is in fact an international day of peace too, unfortunately it's too close to international talk like a pirate day to garner much attention.

The sheer scale of the losses on the Western Front and the fact that it was mainly volunteers and conscripts that got mangled means that, in the UK at least, it should remain 11/11. Slightly off-topic, but did anyone else feel that Prince Edward looked a prime prick with his toytown soldiers uniform and theatrical flourish when saluting the Cenotaph?

He has always looked a prime Prick.

Infact, there were enough rumours floating about to suggest that he also enjoyed a bit of prime Prick.

Im sure there are some Journos on here that could pour cold water on such gossip, or not as the case may be.

Slightly off-topic, but did anyone else feel that Prince Edward looked a prime prick with his toytown soldiers uniform and theatrical flourish when saluting the Cenotaph?

He did, as do the other senior Royals, where did they earn the medals they all seem to wear? As far as I can tell, the closest things they have ever come to shooting are pheasants :angry: .

Slightly off-topic, but did anyone else feel that Prince Edward looked a prime prick with his toytown soldiers uniform and theatrical flourish when saluting the Cenotaph?

He did, as do the other senior Royals, where did they earn the medals they all seem to wear? As far as I can tell, the closest things they have ever come to shooting are pheasants :angry: .

Isn't Phil still allowed to shoot peasants?

To be fair to the Royals (which I believe I have never said before in my life) Prince Andrew flew combat missions in the Falklands, Phil the Greek did a fair bit in WWII and the tree-hugger messed about for a bit in boats. Wasn't it the case that Ed the Sausage-Jockey was miffed that the rest of the family looked so dashing at his Grandma's funeral, when he had to wear his leisure-wear that he asked Mum to give him a soldier suit with nice shiny medals so he would look all brave and smart at the next do?

Spot the difference.

EdwardWessex.jpgidi_amin_dada_1.jpg

The most reliable wikipedia mentions his full title to be along the lines of

His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Dick of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth, Baron Greenwich, Royal Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of the Most Ancient and
of the Thistle,
and First and Principal Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Empire Strikes Back, Member, Order of the Phoenix
, Companion of the Order of Australia, Extra Companion of the Queen's Service Order, Royal Chief of the Order of Lego, Canadian Forces Cake Decoration, Gaylord of Her Majesty's Most Hunerable Privy Council, Privy Councilor of the Queen's Privates for Canada, Personal Aide-de-Campness to His Majesty.

If I'm not mistaken, both Prince Andrew and Prince Edward (as well as Prince William) have recently been created honourary Knights of the Garter. This is a personal gift from the Queen.

The medals they wear (except from Prince Philip and Andrew) are probably just Golden Jubilee medals which all members of the Royals Family with a uniform tend to get. I think that Prince Harry has two medals - the Golden Jubilee medal and the Iraq campaign medal. I am unaware if he did actually serve the minimum requirements for the medal.

Prince Charles' medals are mainly comprised of Order of the Knighthood which are again gifted from his mother. He will also have the Coronation medal, the Silver Jubilee medal, and the Golden Jubilee medal.

Under these conditions, you can see how easy it is for them to acquire a chest-full of medals. They will all get a new one in 2012 with teh Diamond Jubilee medal...

Prince Edward, Duke of Wessex, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular...

I'd like to reserve an especially uncomfortable seat in Room 101 for the W**ker who tried to steal my dog this morning. Tied up outside a cafe and the sh*t undid her lead and tried to get her to walk off with him.

It happened before to my previous dog, but the guy who tried to nick it got away with nothing more than a badly bitten hand, but the new one is unfortunately a bit more trusting.

I'd like to reserve an especially uncomfortable seat in Room 101 for the W**ker who tried to steal my dog this morning. Tied up outside a cafe and the sh*t undid her lead and tried to get her to walk off with him.

It happened before to my previous dog, but the guy who tried to nick it got away with nothing more than a badly bitten hand, but the new one is unfortunately a bit more trusting.

How bizarre - do you have a particularly sought-after kind of dog then?

If I'm not mistaken, both Prince Andrew and Prince Edward (as well as Prince William) have recently been created honourary Knights of the Garter. This is a personal gift from the Queen.

The Royal Family - keeping nepotism alive for 1,000 years. What if Wills decided, like FW DeKlerk, that enough was enough, and just ended it? He and Harry could then helicopter to, and tumble out of, as many nightclubs as they liked, and no one would care.

Would anyone (under the age of 50. Besides Windsor) miss the Royal Family? And spare us the "they're good for tourism" argument. The Tower and Windsor Castle would still be there.