Magere Hein

The Dead - 2007

Ian Richardson has just appaeared on the Sunday AM show on BBC1

recorded last year of course

Am I the only person who finds Ian Richardson's death more shocking than that of Anne Nicole Smith, despite Richardson being 35 years older?

Very, very sad. Brilliant actor, possibly, bar Paul Scofield, the best stage actor Britain had remaining.

Interesting that no-one picked him on the DDP. That's how much of a surprise it is. :(

Not at all. I was thinking the same thing too.

Me too. I did cast the runes over him a while back because he never looked a good colour but since he was still acting I thought he'd be good for a while. Sudden death is always a surprise. Wonder what it was? Heart I suppose.

Grand Chief Timimite Rolga Koi - the oldest man in the Highlands province of Papua New Guinea has died at the age of 106. He had 11 wives and produced 23 children, 78 grandchildren and 79 great grandchildren.

Georg Buschner, the former East German football coach has died, aged 81. Architect of the famous East German win over the West Germans in World Cup 1974.

Link here

Main reason I mention him is that, after Bauer's death last week, I ran the beady eye over some old World Cup possibilities, of course taking the likelihood of an obit in. Buschner was one I added. Really, I should know better by now.... :(

The BBC reports that Gary Frisch, the founder of one of Britain's largest dating websites of an alternative nature, "Gaydar.com", has died at the age of 38. A fall from an eighth floor balcony resulted in a rapid decline in his health.

Shimon Awerbuch, very clever man, but not smart enough to take the train when very bad weather was in the offing.

Shimon Awerbuch, very clever man, but not smart enough to take the train when very bad weather was in the offing.

Very sad to hear about this one, I met Shimon Awerbuch at a fly-in to Le Touquet 6 years ago.

Totally shocked to hear of his crash, always thought of him to be a stickler for flight planning.

I still owe him for that coffee he bought me.

Interesting comment Phantom, because I think this one will go down to pilot error, first of all for being there in the first place and secondly for not coping with the conditions. Clearly there'll be an investigation but he flew blind straight into a rock face with no obvious evidence of any avoiding action. Reported problems with the conditions, but none with the plane.

Interesting comment Phantom, because I think this one will go down to pilot error, first of all for being there in the first place and secondly for not coping with the conditions. Clearly there'll be an investigation but he flew blind straight into a rock face with no obvious evidence of any avoiding action. Reported problems with the conditions, but none with the plane.

Yes, that was the total surprise to me. Instrument flying is tricky at the best of times. Having flown several times with foggles even with an instructor sat next to you it's no picnic.

Awerbuch was a really nice bloke and one we shall certainly miss.

Charlie Norwood, mentioned in the I&P thread, has died before I could even add him to the upcoming WDP...

Guest Guest

The late lamented iain smith would have loved this one-the former controller of radio 2 Geoffrey Owen has died.He was the guy that is responsible for bringing Terry Wogan to the UK,so don't say too many nice things abut him!

The late lamented iain smith would have loved this one-the former controller of radio 2 Geoffrey Owen has died.He was the guy that is responsible for bringing Terry Wogan to the UK,so don't say too many nice things abut him!

Whoever gave you that idea?

radio 2 presenter Sheridan Morley has died

Wow. :o

What a shock. I had no idea he was even ill. Although the last paragraph hints about his depression & the fact he was found dead earlier today.

:blink: A luvvy, no doubt, but a hugely entertaining one. He'll be missed.

Ray Evans, the remaining half of the Livingston & Evans songwriting partnership has died. Link is here.

Wrote Que Sera Sera, and was on the periphery of my DDP shortlist. But alas, no more. :blink:

radio 2 presenter Sheridan Morley has died

Wow. :o

What a shock. I had no idea he was even ill. Although the last paragraph hints about his depression & the fact he was found dead earlier today.

:blink: A luvvy, no doubt, but a hugely entertaining one. He'll be missed.

Hmmm..not easy being under the (considerable) shadow of a famous dad...

Robert Adler, the inventor of the TV remote control, has turned over to the other side. He was 93.

Robert Adler, the inventor of the TV remote control, has turned over to the other side. He was 93.

If there is life after death I wonder if he's chuffed with himself about that. I wonder how it would will go down in heaven when he sees God?

God: "Hi there Bob. So what pushed your buttons in life, hey?"

Adler: "Funny you should say that God because I invented the TV remote control."

God: "You don't say. Did it make the world a better place Bob?"

Adler: "Well it saved people having to get off their arses and it created the opportunity to flick between lots of channels. And it gave a lot of idle bastards the first real power they had ever had."

God: "So Bob you gave power to idle bastards and made it possible for them to be even idler than they were before. That's an achievement?"

Adler: "Maybe you could use one yourself for the world."

God: "Already got one Bob. I zapped you didn't I? Never had to leave the sofa. See this button, that's climate change. I've been fiddling about with that lately. Then there's this one that turns up Graham Norton, pisses a lot of people off, and this one, the Bush scrambler, very useful. Now I wonder what this button marked "armageddon" does?