Just now, msc said:

Centrimetres? But height was in feet, and it's the height of the snow being measured?

Nope, not for me, height in cm, generally.

Height? Really? I wouldn't know where to start in cm. There's a foot between me and Mr B I know that (doesn't matter, we're rarely vertical) and my brother professes to be 5'8" but isn't...

I started primary in England in 1975 for the record. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Boudicca said:

Height? Really? I wouldn't know where to start in cm. There's a foot between me and Mr B I know that (doesn't matter, we're rarely vertical) and my brother professes to be 5'8" but isn't...

I started primary in England in 1975 for the record. 

In hospital last year I was asked my height and weight, which I duly provided; problem was I gave imperial measures and the form required metric.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

People still do use imperial though. My brother was here a few days ago. A job came up. He's ex military Royal Marines / security now. Needed to be six foot. Just to sit in a car :lol:

• Haha 1

In answer to my earlier question , it seems that there's never been a requirement to stop teaching imperial, whilst it's been compulsory to teach metric since 1974.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Boudicca said:

People still do use imperial though. My brother was here a few days ago. A job came up. Needed to be six foot. Just to sit in a car :lol:

Was the seat stuck in its fully-back position?

• Haha 1

I was thinking about offering him my son's booster seat for a percentage...

53 minutes ago, time said:

Is it not just 'people of a certain age' that are precious about imperial measurements (I say that as someone rapidly approaching 'a certain age'). I was taught almost exclusively imperial measurements, and find myself doing approximations to imperial for certain things - mainly length/distance.

When did imperial measurements stop being taught at school?

20 minutes ago, time said:

In answer to my earlier question , it seems that there's never been a requirement to stop teaching imperial, whilst it's been compulsory to teach metric since 1974.

I seem to be a hell of a lot younger than most of you (I started "proper" school this millennium anyway" to put it politely); we had rulers with 30cm/12 inches all the way through school. We were encouraged to use cms but inches we're available. As long as we could convert between inches and centimetres once we were done to give cms for the school form they didn't care. Think they gave up the "get everyone to use metric" years ago; although remember many a lecturer on the simplicity of the metric system from one maths teacher.

Importantly we still measured our own height in inches.

• Like 1

Decimal / metric came in around the time I was born (1971) which was a good thing because money became base 10. Other than that, meh, whateves

This is a great wandering off topic btw. Sorry Deathray. We'll get back on track.

• Haha 1

Anyway .... the snow is here now.  I went to the butchers about six miles (9.656 km) away and it began snowing heavily while I was there.  Nothing from halfway home.  Been back about an hour and it's chucking it down now, everything covered.

Most importantly, the smoked ham hock is gently simmering away and there is shin of beef in the fridge.  We are equipped for soup and stew.

• Haha 1

Deathray's snow has arrived here. Though it's not very strong.

Meh, its February. Lambing snow almost here.

But re the ludicrous debate on metric/imperial.....

Who uses kilometres? Even metres?

At a push an inch is 2.5cm, not even a round number.

And move on the sea or in the air, is there even a metric measurement? Knot = nautical mile.

Miles in their selves are interesting. English, Irish, Welsh, Scots, all different.

Fuckers even abolished the Scots one 3 times. Cunts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile

• Haha 2

I may be about to throw in the towel and admit I got this wrong. Cold spell; yes. Historic cold; nah mate not really. 

• Haha 1

And right as Deathray says that, apparently the council are considering a red warning for tomorrow and shutting the schools if it gets worse overnight.

Doesn't look that bad to me...

9 minutes ago, Deathray said:

I may be about to throw in the towel and admit I got this wrong. Cold spell; yes. Historic cold; nah mate not really. 

6 minutes ago, msc said:

And right as Deathray says that, apparently the council are considering a red warning for tomorrow and shutting the schools if it gets worse overnight.

Doesn't look that bad to me...

Red Warnings are a new thing.

Doesn't mean shit, I think Wales only place to get one before, and that for wind.

Even now, when it's a bit heavier, it's not lying on the ground. Fuss about nothing. Council just excited because its the Nats now and they've never had a snow day whereas for the previous 30 plus years it was Labour council and their "you''ll have had yer snow" policy. :D

Is it time to wheel out my annual ‘I’m hoping for 7 inches tomorrow morning’ gag? 

We’ve had a very light dusting in West Wilts this evening and it’s currently about -4. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Is it time to wheel out my annual ‘I’m hoping for 7 inches tomorrow morning’ gag? 

We’ve had a very light dusting in West Wilts this evening and it’s currently about -4. 

I'm afraid to disappoint, not a chance of 7 inches in Wiltshire.

Although reports of nye on a foot of snow in parts of NE England already (favoured spots, it has to be said) and parts of Kent/Sussex this evening with more due to fall, so good for some.

For a more international take on the cold spell across Europe, I can't fault this article from Sky News (something you'll rarely hear me say):

https://news.sky.com/story/europe-shivers-as-siberian-chill-blows-in-11268975

2 hours ago, Deathray said:

I'm afraid to disappoint, not a chance of 7 inches in Wiltshire.

Tell me something I don’t know. I’m lucky if I get two fingers and a cup of tea. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, charon said:

But re the ludicrous debate on metric/imperial.....

Trying not to derail the thread again,  but I was only putting forward my experience.

What really is ludicrous is making the teaching of metric compulsory for everyone, and then sending them out into a world where people drive in mph, measure in feet and inches and weigh in pounds and ounces. Thus recessing the progress the scheme was undoubtedly intended to make. Who really wants to divide up things into twelfths and fourteenths...it's more difficult.

Obviously charon speaks for the seafaring community re the nautical issue. I was never taught it, so I find it unfathomable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Kudos for ending with "unfathomable" :D

* eta, what I have noticed in the last 4 or 5 years (yes, base twelve unit) is that the influx of Eastern European drug dealers means the young stoners I work with, are having to buy in grams. They do the conversion no bother at all, reminiscent of when I a boy and idiots that wouldn't know 2+2 could rhyme off in seconds what a 25p treble would return at 8/11, 11/2 and 9/4....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2