Glorious, sunny, blue sky day, probably warmest of the Year, and mirror calm at finish.

More of the same please :)

• Like 1

Light dusting of snow so the school is shut <_<

FFS <_<

Really <_<

Wouldn't happen in the western Highlands. They just take the weans out to gather up bits of wicker from the island. Keeps them warm.

** I might make soup today too. And baked potatoes. Needed due to child me wanting to play in the snow :ninja:

• Like 1

We had short but heavyish shower around 9 last night, and apparently more overnight. 

There is actually snow on the ground!!!

This is our first significant snowfall for about six years!

8 minutes ago, time said:

We had short but heavyish shower around 9 last night, and apparently more overnight. 

There is actually snow on the ground!!!

This is our first significant snowfall for about six years!

Bloody southerners. An few inches or so here, though less than the other week when we had a good three inches. Our sixth significant fall (in addition there was a few dustings) of this winter and possibly more to come over the next few days. Can't believe schools are closing down south looking at some of the photos, that's a dusting - it's not even significant enough to close things down - we'd never get anything done. 

We have about a 1/4 inch on the ground at the moment. If this keeps up, I might be staying overnight in work :(

27 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Bloody southerners. An few inches or so here, though less than the other week when we had a good three inches. Our sixth significant fall (in addition there was a few dustings) of this winter and possibly more to come over the next few days. Can't believe schools are closing down south looking at some of the photos, that's a dusting - it's not even significant enough to close things down - we'd never get anything done. 

True, though most places seem to be operating normally - handful of schools closed and some outlying areas not accessible by bus.

I'm still going to work!

6 minutes ago, time said:

True, though most places seem to be operating normally - handful of schools closed and some outlying areas not accessible by bus.

I'm still going to work!

Suns already making light work of the mornings snow cover despite it being below freezing!

Anyway; significant interest for me in this cold snap has always been the potential blizzard at the end of the week rather than the bog standard snow showers and sunshine affair of the first part of the week. So let's see how that plays out. 

Not sure about "all" schools and snow because my son goes to a special one fifteen miles away due to him having severe autism. Daughter even further but it's sixth form so they're open (although she's more clueless than he is tbh <_<

It is ridiculous though, the panic at a bit of frosting in the S.E. That said, I did go out to cover my daffodils with a plastic sheet at 5 a.m when Mr B texted to wake me up. Probably too late but not bad in terms of collateral damage.

I've never had anything - school, business meetings, medicals - cancelled due to snow. Feeling left out. :D

Nothing here.  Nice sunny day but v cold.  Bird bath water frozen solid.

1 minute ago, msc said:

I've never had anything - school, business meetings, medicals - cancelled due to snow. Feeling left out. :D

Scottish thing though that; if you shut every time it snowed up there you really would never get anything done! We had school shut in 2010 (Jan and Dec) but there was over a foot of snow pretty much everywhere in the town both times so it was well within their rights to do it.

They have the infrastructure North of the Wall. The gritter is out even before Mr B leaves for work and that's stupidly early.

ETA Blizzard. I'm going out.

Glasgow doesn't get snow that much (more in the last year than in my lifetime, pretty sure) but we did get a good 2-3 foot of snow at one point in the late 90s and the schools remained open.

Hah, I looked out the window there to be greeted by the most half-assed snow you'd ever seen. Bright clear skies ahead, and just two clouds barely emitting a few flakes. In fact, in the time taken to describe how pathetic it looked, it's turned into rain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If this is Siberian weather I'm off there for my winter sun next year.

• Haha 1

It's been a bit random in the worst hit areas so far today

Mid-Kent looked like the stuff they love to show on the news and there was a suitably pathetic accident holding up the coastbound traffic as I headed the other way driving onto clearer roads and hitting an effortless 80 on clear tarmac before I got to work. Snowing again now, mind

You've got to love that streamer that's formed in the channel. The channel islands will be pasted in no time, it's edging south. What a waste of good snow.

• Haha 1

I still find it fascinating re the above discussion that people still measure things in inches.

I was taught (during hail, snow, howling gales, etc. etc.) the metric system, decimals, blah blah blah. The UK still seems precious about its imperial measurments, and I have no idea why. At some point, this became a "bloody Europeans" issue, yet I was being taught the metric system before we joined the EEC. It's like when an old country house burns to the ground, and the whole country wants to preserve its burnt-out shell for posterity...why the fuck should we?

If you want a modern economy, get modern I say.

• Like 3

Just watching BBC News, could Simon McCoy look any more grumpy at being given the "Snow shift"!:lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

I still find it fascinating re the above discussion that people still measure things in inches.

I was taught (during hail, snow, howling gales, etc. etc.) the metric system, decimals, blah blah blah. The UK still seems precious about its imperial measurments, and I have no idea why. At some point, this became a "bloody Europeans" issue, yet I was being taught the metric system before we joined the EEC. It's like when an old country house burns to the ground, and the whole country wants to preserve its burnt-out shell for posterity...why the fuck should we?

Inches are a better yardstick than those fiddly little cm and mm.  :P

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

RightFancyArcticseal-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

RightFancyArcticseal-size_restricted.gif

Tell Sid it's a greater number bigger in cm.....:lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

If this is Siberian weather I'm off there for my winter sun next year.

Yakutsk is nice at this time of the year:

Yakutsk.jpg

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Is it not just 'people of a certain age' that are precious about imperial measurements (I say that as someone rapidly approaching 'a certain age'). I was taught almost exclusively imperial measurements, and find myself doing approximations to imperial for certain things - mainly length/distance.

When did imperial measurements stop being taught at school?

3 minutes ago, time said:

Is it not just 'people of a certain age' that are precious about imperial measurements (I say that as someone rapidly approaching 'a certain age'). I was taught almost exclusively imperial measurements, and find myself doing approximations to imperial for certain things - mainly length/distance.

When did imperial measurements stop being taught at school?

Well, I can only speak for Scotland, and I started primary in 1970/71. Never taught imperial.

• Like 1

Centrimetres? But height was in feet, and it's the height of the snow being measured?

• Like 1