Guest IYG

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, How long can they Carry On?

Young's new album has got generally good reviews, if not exceptionally good ones. Lyrically not that challenging (though his environmentalism gets less compromising) - there's one absolute wonder of soulful playing and lyrical understatement (Welcome Back) in there which is as good as any song he's unleashed in the last decade. 

For form studiers here's a promotional ramble by the great man: 

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Young's new album has got generally good reviews, if not exceptionally good ones. Lyrically not that challenging (though his environmentalism gets less compromising) - there's one absolute wonder of soulful playing and lyrical understatement (Welcome Back) in there which is as good as any song he's unleashed in the last decade. 

For form studiers here's a promotional ramble by the great man: 

Well, he doesn't look like he is about to go anywhere soon.

Looks like a man who is extremely comfortable in his own body and has slowed things down a tad to suit.

I just listened to Welcome Back, and on the basis that my musical knowledge is the princely sum of fuck all, I found it quite, well, raw, if that makes any sense.

I kinda liked it.

That's 3 Neil Young songs I like now. :D

3 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Well, he doesn't look like he is about to go anywhere soon.

Looks like a man who is extremely comfortable in his own body and has slowed things down a tad to suit.

I just listened to Welcome Back, and on the basis that my musical knowledge is the princely sum of fuck all, I found it quite, well, raw, if that makes any sense.

I kinda liked it.

That's 3 Neil Young songs I like now. :D

Raw is something he does a lot - he even discusses the way he gets songs nailed on those first few runs through in that video I linked. What works for me on Welcome Back is the way they handle the volume of the guitars and it's more like a conversation than playing solos - you have to work a lifetime to make it sound so effortless. Re the rawness, there's a famous story about how basic it gets regarding a widely loved Neil Young song - Cortez the Killer - which opens with over five minutes of beautiful guitar halfway between soloing and accompanying before he sings. That's so raw it's -  basically - a mistake. There was a first verse and a bit of a chorus but they played it live and forgot to open the vocal mics, whey they heard the playback they liked it so much that's the version that made it to the album. 

Adele doesn't record like that!

• Like 1

On 28/06/2009 at 05:31, maryportfuncity said:

Had someone walked into a bookies in 1989, slapped down £100 and said I bet that quartet will all be gigging a few days after Michael Jackson dies.....gimmee some odds, assuming the bookie had been able to comply.....how much would that bet be worth now?

Apologies for dredging up a post from 2009, but I’ve brought this up over the years, initially prompted by someone asking “what would you do if you could travel back in time?”. My response is to go back to 1989, find a bookie and ask for odds that MJ is dead by the end of 2009 and will be outlived by the following:

All of CSNY

All members of Aerosmith

All members of Motley Crue

Keith Richards 

Ronnie Wood

Ozzy

Lemmy

Joe Cocker

All bar two of the above are still alive as of now…..

• Like 1

Graham Nash has joined the growing chorus of artists removing their music from Spotifyto protest misinformation about vaccines disseminated by the platform’s Joe Rogan Experience. The move comes just one week after Nash’s former Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young bandmate Neil Young demanded the streaming platform remove his catalog for the same reason.

SC

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/graham-nash-spotify-neil-young-1293195/

On 01/02/2022 at 11:27, Sir Creep said:

Graham Nash has joined the growing chorus of artists removing their music from Spotifyto protest misinformation about vaccines disseminated by the platform’s Joe Rogan Experience. The move comes just one week after Nash’s former Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young bandmate Neil Young demanded the streaming platform remove his catalog for the same reason.

SC

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/graham-nash-spotify-neil-young-1293195/

Graham Nash also turned 80 today

Lengthy interview with Nash who has a live album made up of acoustic versions of the songs from his first two solo albums out on Friday. Not the most engaging character, and clearly didn't impress The Guardian. The bit about meeting Michelle Philips of the Mamas and Papas purely because she was the only one of the band he considered fuckable does read like something of a throwback in the present era.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/may/03/graham-nash-on-families-joni-mitchell-and-toxic-masculinity-if-you-could-kill-putin-would-you-i-would?fbclid=IwAR3kXqh4lziiH4w5lpkc8aXCQMrGZoUGm_xZd22GQlqXrsyHGY-25G48gcM

Crosby down as per his own named thread.

Just to keep this tidy. ;):P

• Like 1

So Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young managed to carry on until January 18, 2023. That's almost 18 years after this thread was started, which is actually kind of impressive.

• Like 4

On 20/01/2023 at 12:29, TheSpinosaurus said:

So Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young managed to carry on until January 18, 2023. That's almost 18 years after this thread was started, which is actually kind of impressive.

Aye, and the three survivors have all shared their love of the lost member on social media - kind of impressive as well considering the emnity that had descended of late. I'm thinking there's almost no chance of some Eagles style dynasty whereby the son of the dead one joins the band (though James Raymond has some of his dad's abilities).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Neil Young is off on tour with Crazy Horse: https://variety.com/2024/music/news/neil-young-crazy-horse-tour-announce-album-1235909412/

Slowing down? By jingo, no way.

Nice, tour ends just in time for European dates to beckon in the summer!