George Cohen
Bobby Charlton
Geoff Hurst
Ron Flowers
Terry Paine
Ian Callaghan
George Eastham

Who will be the last one standing?

I think Cohen will be next. Stomach cancer survivor and various health issues. Soon.

Charlton has dementia and may have not that long left.

Hurst seems to be the predestinate last man standing.

Flowers is ancient for a footballer.

Paine seems to be doing well.

Ian Callaghan is quite young, but still the type I would not be surprised if he drops dead suddenly.

Eastham is ancient by football standards.

By 2025 all squad but one dead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Just been announced Roger Hunt has died. RIP.

I wonder how many Germans could be alive when the last of the English squad dies. Could well be 5 or more. 

At this rate probably 8 of the starting German team. As a case study I find it remarkable that the children of Nazi Germany are outliving the children of the supposed victors of WW2. 

19 minutes ago, drol said:

I think Cohen will be next. Stomach cancer survivor and various health issues. Soon.

Hurst seems to be the predestinate last man standing.

Flowers is ancient for a footballer.

Paine seems to be doing well.

Ian Callaghan is quite young, but still the type I would not be surprised if he drops dead suddenly.

Eastham is ancient by football standards.

By 2025 all squad but one dead.

By logic I'd expect Hurst and Paine to still be alive in 2025 but the way the past couple of years have gone they'll probably all be dead by the end of next year. 

14 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

At this rate probably 8 of the starting German team. As a case study I find it remarkable that the children of Nazi Germany are outliving the children of the supposed victors of WW2. 

Seems there's a lot to be said for the Hitler Youth...

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, drol said:

I have been wrong before, but if he's still alive on January 1st, Charlton absolutely 100% feels like a DL front page cert, and possibly a Drop 40er.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, msc said:

I have been wrong before, but if he's still alive on January 1st, Charlton absolutely 100% feels like a DL front page cert, and possibly a Drop 40er.

He walked a good way towards the Drop 40 this year already, but people correctly prefered to pick Gerd Müller a little more. I didn't foresee that and chose Müller to only be my first sub - but kudos to these players.

Still, in terms of popular dementia people, Charlton now moves towards the top spot, or at least very close to that.

• Like 3

image.png.332c3464ad28ba24ae0f949eaa6b2688.png

Just to be clear, this is Mick Channon junior.  Also a lovely man.

I think the 66 boys have been a bit unlucky through. I mean the year before Hurst, Peters and Moore won with the West Ham the cup winners cup and 8 of the 11 of them are still alive. At least Five of them are still well enough to have attended West Ham’s match tonight. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

I think the 66 boys have been a bit unlucky through. I mean the year before Hurst, Peters and Moore won with the West Ham the cup winners cup and 8 of the 11 of them are still alive. At least Five of them are still well enough to have attended West Ham’s match tonight. 

Do you know which 5?

I think one lives in the US and one in South Africa so if it's 5 out of the UK based 6, that's good going.

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Do you know which 5?

I think one lives in the US and one in South Africa so if it's 5 out of the UK based 6, that's good going.

According to this article the five who attended were Sir Geoff Hurst, Brian Dear, Ronnie Boyce, Ken Brown and Jack Burkett. Which means Jim Standen, Joe Kirkup and John Sissons were the non-attendees https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2021/september/29-september/hammers-unveil-moore-hurst-and-peters-statue-london

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Deathrace said:

According to this article the five who attended were Sir Geoff Hurst, Brian Dear, Ronnie Boyce, Ken Brown and Jack Burkett. Which means Jim Standen, Joe Kirkup and John Sissons were the non-attendees https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2021/september/29-september/hammers-unveil-moore-hurst-and-peters-statue-london

Standen and Kirkup are the two living overseas. 

Might be worth checking Sissons health.

46 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Standen and Kirkup are the two living overseas. 

Might be worth checking Sissons health.

Not a health update (none of his birthday wishes yesterday mention any that I've seen!), but according to social media, John Sissons lives in Cape Town these days? (As well as Kirkup, its 2 of the 3 in South Africa)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, msc said:

Not a health update (none of his birthday wishes yesterday mention any that I've seen!), but according to social media, John Sissons lives in Cape Town these days? (As well as Kirkup, its 2 of the 3 in South Africa)

Given the frankly appalling health record of most of his footballing contemporaries Ken Brown (who managed Norwich in the 80s) is doing well to still be attending games aged 87. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, msc said:

Ah good. The boys of 65 are rocking it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sir Geoff Hurst has been fitted with a Pacemaker during emergency surgery a couple of weeks ago  due to An unreliable heath rhythm. He also reveals he had a mild stroke a couple of years ago. 

The Sun

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Sir Geoff Hurst has been fitted with a Pacemaker during emergency surgery a couple of weeks ago  due to An unreliable heath rhythm. He also reveals he had a mild stroke a couple of years ago. 

The Sun

He thought it was all over…..

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dead Wait said:

He thought it was all over…..

In the article it doesn't sound overly serious, not life-threatening apparently. Hopefully he will be fine for the moment. 

51 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

In the article it doesn't sound overly serious, not life-threatening apparently. Hopefully he will be fine for the moment. 

The pacemaker will probably give him 10+ years bar any other conditions

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

The pacemaker will probably give him 10+ years bar any other conditions

The mild stroke is Perhaps more life shortening - through of course some can go on to extreme old age despite suffering from strokes.

Ron Flowers has died aged 87. Mirror

Whats the betting a German player or two goes on well into their 90’s.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

There'll be plenty of Flowers at his funeral.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Of the currently living West German final XI:

Hottges (born 1943)

Schulz (born 1938)

Weber (born 1944)

Schnellinger (born 1939)

Beckenbauer (born 1945)

Overath (born 1943)

Seeler (born 1936)

Held (born 1942)

Of the living West German squad members: 

Hornig (born 1937)

Lutz (born 1939)

Patzke (born 1943)

Lorenz (born 1939)

Paul (born 1940)

Grabowski (born 1944)

Bernard (born 1939)

Maier (born 1944)

So of the starting XI, three are already well into their 80s along with five others in the squad. I'm not an actuary and with Covid on the rise in Germany and being footballers of this generation some of these guys may not be in great shape but you'd have to say the chances are at least one of these octogenarians will make it to be nonagenarians.