themaninblack

The Boys Of '66

Had to endure 5 mins of this just there on the iPlayer, and the one thing I took from it was....

Kenny Lynch looks fucked.

I had no idea he played for England??

What position did he play?

• Like 1

Nobby Stiles also missed the unveiling of a street in his name.Surely a bad sign.

Nobby Stiles also missed the unveiling of a street in his name.Surely a bad sign.

What, Nobby Crescent?

• Like 3

Round Up - 1966 Squad

Gordon Banks 78 kidney cancer

George Cohen 76 previous bowel cancer

Jack Charlton 81 unknown bout of ill health

Bobby Moore died 1993 aged 51

Ray Wilson 81 alzheimers since 2002

Nobby Stiles 74 prostate cancer diagnosis in 2013 and alzheimers disease

Alan Ball died 2007 aged 61

Bobby Charlton 78 health scare in 2014

Martin Peters 72 alzheimers disease

Geoff Hurst 74 - couldn't find any health issues

Roger Hunt 77 - couldn't find any health issues but has recently flogged his memoribilia

I think Nobby Stiles will be the next member of the 1966 squad to die what with prostate cancer, Alzheimers and previously suffering a stroke he is surely living on borrowed time in fact i think he will die sometime this year will go for 16th August.

That would certainly be useful for the team in 5th place in the DDP.

• Like 1

My predictions for the deaths of the surving members of the final:

Nobby Stiles:16th August 2016

Ray Wilson :November 25th 2016

Gordon Banks:4th January 2017

Martin Peters:11th April 2018

Bobby Charlton :19th December 2021

Jack Charlton :18th February 2023

Roger Hunt:18th December 2028

George Cohen :1st January 2030

Geoff Hurst:September 4th 2035

:Nobby Stiles clip from 2010 in which he sold off his world cup medal amongst other treasured possessions .Turns out the stroke he suffered then according to this report was more serious than previously reported in other sources. The saddest quote in all this was from Nobby himself saying in consolation "I still have the memories and you can`t take them away..Ever"I think that is a perfect sentence retrospectively to explain how bloody cruel alzheimer`s is.The fact that the one bit of comfort this man had is being ebbed away slowly brings a tear to this regular deadpoolers eye. :(

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/6730268/World-Cup-hero-Nobby-Stiles-gravely-ill.html:Also a Sun report (taken with a pinch of salt) suggesting Nobby was "gravelly ill " last November .Surely one for the 2017 list if he makes the starting line?

:Nobby Stiles clip from 2010 in which he sold off his world cup medal amongst other treasured possessions .Turns out the stroke he suffered then according to this report was more serious than previously reported in other sources. The saddest quote in all this was from Nobby himself saying in consolation "I still have the memories and you can`t take them away..Ever"I think that is a perfect sentence retrospectively to explain how bloody cruel alzheimer`s is.The fact that the one bit of comfort this man had is being ebbed away slowly brings a tear to this regular deadpoolers eye. :(

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/6730268/World-Cup-hero-Nobby-Stiles-gravely-ill.html:Also a Sun report (taken with a pinch of salt) suggesting Nobby was "gravelly ill " last November .Surely one for the 2017 list if he makes the starting line?

So, at what point does the memorabilia of a guy with Alzheimers simply become, like, his stuff?

Just askin'!

So, at what point does the memorabilia of a guy with Alzheimers simply become, like, his stuff?

Just askin'!

When he can`t remember the story behind it I guess.

Had to endure 5 mins of this just there on the iPlayer, and the one thing I took from it was....

Kenny Lynch looks fucked.

He looks whiter than I do!

That`s just Vitiligo by the looks of it.

Just watched it. George Cohen barely looks a day over 65, reckon he'll be going for a good while yet. Roger Hunt looks pretty good too.

Good to see Greavsie looking a lot better. Bobby's got the head shakes though.

Let's hope they're all with us for a good while yet.

As for Sue Johnson, I'd be happy to never see her mug gurning out from a footy-related TV programme ever again.

Where are they now feature in today's soaraway Sun which notes the preponderance of Alzheimer's in the surviving boys of 66. Jack Charlton's memory isn't what it was - though they stop short of lumping him in with Stiles and Peters. It is also noted that Martin Peters' condition has gone badly downhill. Coded message for selecting him for DL 2017 by the sound of it.

• Like 2

Where are they now feature in today's soaraway Sun which notes the preponderance of Alzheimer's in the surviving boys of 66. Jack Charlton's memory isn't what it was - though they stop short of lumping him in with Stiles and Peters. It is also noted that Martin Peters' condition has gone badly downhill. Coded message for selecting him for DL 2017 by the sound of it.

BG I got TWO notifications that you liked this post.

Are you Martin Peters by any chance?

If I press the screen too hard on my phone it thinks I have liked it then unliked it so I have to like it again.

BG I got TWO notifications that you liked this post.

Are you Martin Peters by any chance?

• Like 2

You believe he will see 2017?

Hmm I wouldn`t put money either way.His son is giving mixed messages.He says the prostate cancer treatment has been working well for him but that he is "very very poorly".I reckon the Alzheimer`s is his biggest issue now and the end stages of that can last a fair few months in many cases.He also describes the alzheimers as advanced early onset which is a contradiction in terms.It is clear Nobby is in a bad way though. Could last another year or two though depending on how his condition is now which isn't specifically clear in the article. Definitely a must have next year if he is still hanging around.

• Like 1

It's basically the same information from last year - still gravely ill.

• Like 1

I'm sure most of you know this being dead poolers but there is increasing evidence to linked frequently heading the old style footballs with memory loss, similar to the impact of punches in unguarded heads (even though the male boxers at the olympics will now not be wearing headguard - apparently women still need them). So goalies and defenders from the 50s, 60s and 70s should all be DL considerations.

He also describes the alzheimers as advanced early onset which is a contradiction in terms.

No, it isn't. Early onset means that the patient develops dementia at a relatively young age. And he says Nobby's dementia is now at an advanced stage.

Also I don't see any reference to Alzheimer's in the article, only dementia. [/nitpicking]

• Like 1

Hmm I wouldn`t put money either way.His son is giving mixed messages.He says the prostate cancer treatment has been working well for him but that he is "very very poorly".I reckon the Alzheimer`s is his biggest issue now and the end stages of that can last a fair few months in many cases.He also describes the alzheimers as advanced early onset which is a contradiction in terms.It is clear Nobby is in a bad way though. Could last another year or two though depending on how his condition is now which isn't specifically clear in the article. Definitely a must have next year if he is still hanging around.

As an interesting aside Nobby's son - now a comedian - was such a crap footballer he was the first substitute used by Leeds United to also be substituted. Legend!

• Like 1

He also describes the alzheimers as advanced early onset which is a contradiction in terms.

No, it isn't. Early onset means that the patient develops dementia at a relatively young age. And he says Nobby's dementia is now at an advanced stage.

Also I don't see any reference to Alzheimer's in the article, only dementia. [/nitpicking]

Apologies .I always assumed early onset dementia was the mild stages of dementia of those who aren`t particularly old.I stand corrected.Whatever type of dementia he has it is clearly advanced pretty quickly.Reminds me of an old footballer I knew in my grandparents nursing home.He was a defender with lewy-body dementia and his daughter swore it was due to the balls they used.He was only in his early 70`s when he died too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3718987/England-s-1966-World-Cup-heroes-return-Royal-Garden-Hotel-time-wives-invited-too.html:The reserve Goalie of the 66 squad Peter Bonetti was too ill to attend a reunion of the 66 squad and his children attended on his behalf.Some online forum threads are reporting that he has recently been hospitalized is suffering with dementia and have also expressed concerns over his financial/family circumstances.

http://www.theshedend.com/topic/29598-peter-bonetti-not-well/

http://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/21217-peter-bonetti/

• Like 1