Godot

Ask A Deathlister

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Hey any of you happen to have astronomy as a hobby of sorts?  Wondering what a good brand / size / attributes / cost of a telescope I might look for.  I'm out here in west texas and seems a shame I don't take advantage what with being able to see the Milky Way if you drive a few miles to the right location.  

Thanks in advance as always.
SC

How deep are your pockets for your first telescope? What are you prepared to pay for something that you might put in the back of the garage after the novelty has worn off? Give me a ballpark figure. 

P.S. If it's under $700 then I recommend:

https://www.meade.com/www-meade-com-products-telescopes-etx-125-observer-etx-125-observer-html.html

• Like 2

Mini Driver....

First Harvey, now Oxfam.  

Would you employ the boot?

On 2/13/2018 at 15:49, Cat O'Falk said:

How deep are your pockets for your first telescope? What are you prepared to pay for something that you might put in the back of the garage after the novelty has worn off? Give me a ballpark figure. 

P.S. If it's under $700 then I recommend:

https://www.meade.com/www-meade-com-products-telescopes-etx-125-observer-etx-125-observer-html.html

I think that would be my high end.  Safe to say half of that would be a fair start but maybe getting a better one and being done with it is the way to go.  Thanks for your advice!!
SC

Specifically our Beatles expert around here.... 

What can you tell me about The Lytations, aka The Five Shits, aka The Beatles, a completely forgotten doo-wop band of the early 1960s? Am i right in understanding they had the name "The Beatles" back in the 50s, then an enterprising music label type had the idea to reprint one of their tracks in the 1970s under that name, even though they'd usually gone under the sobriquet The Five Shits? Or am I way off?

Maybe MPFC can come up with something better, been ages since I read my literature. I know The Beatles went by the name of the Silver Beetles for a time, but I can't remember if they added Silver because there was already an American group called The Beetles.

As I recall, Beatles was an original name thought up by JPGR. I've never heard of a competing claim to the name, and given how litigious the Americans were, I'm sure they would have sued at the time. Urban myth?

R? When did Ringo appear ?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, charon said:

R? When did Ringo appear ?

Hah! You're right of course, the name pre-dates Ringo....I just normally use that as a contraction!

Probably just John from my Alzheimers ridden memory...

OK, I've done some more digging around.

So "Stormy Weather", the old torch song. A cover version of that by The Five Sharps (notice the name?) from 1953 is one of the most valuable vinyls of all time, due to its rarity (the majority of copies were apparently destroyed in a warehouse fire, including the original masters). Here's Rick Harrison to talk you through it:

hqdefault.jpg

Now when the The Five Shits released their cover of it, it was credited to "P Spector/J Lemmon". Who obviously weren't the songwriters.

It does seem that The Five Shits/The Lytations/The Beatles were just massive wind-up/scam merchants. The fact that they were never sued suggests they were either a) really good at it or B ) really bad at it.

Want to discuss ethics/law/life-support decisions.
Political thread?  Discussion/Observations thread?  Humanity thread?  New thread?  
Nothing existing seems to work.  Please advise and direct.
SC

This thread seems okay to me SC and fuck any cunto who disagrees. Sounds horrible. Post away :(

On 19/02/2018 at 18:37, YoungWillz said:

Maybe MPFC can come up with something better, been ages since I read my literature. I know The Beatles went by the name of the Silver Beetles for a time, but I can't remember if they added Silver because there was already an American group called The Beetles.

As I recall, Beatles was an original name thought up by JPGR. I've never heard of a competing claim to the name, and given how litigious the Americans were, I'm sure they would have sued at the time. Urban myth?

The Beatles renamed themselves for practical reasons - easier to remember and easier to get one name on a poster. BEATles is the obvious pun it seems and also a kind of homage to Buddy Holly's insectalike backing band The Crickets.

It was JPGR from 15th August 1962 onwards when J&P drove to Butlins in Skegness and offered the drummer in Rory Storm and the Hurricanes a whopping ten bob (50p) a week pay rise to jump ship and join them, once the verbal deal was agreed the band left it to Brian Epstein to inform and sack Pete Best (who remains alive and obitable btw)

Re that alleged Five Shits/Beatle record above there are a few spurious Beatle related cuts by others which are mistaken for the real deal. The foremost of which is probably Have you Heard the Word by The Fut which lords it over every other wrongly alleged Beatle cut because its regular appearance on Bootlegs promted Yoko to copyright it for Lenono Music in the belief it was the real deal. It isn't and some major respect is due to the lead vocalist on the record (actually Bee Gee Robin Gibb) for nailing a Lennon impression sharp enough to fool his widow.

Loads more fun facts including a top ten list of alleged Beatle tracks that are nowt of the sort is available in a wonderful book I recall drawing to your attention a while back:

51+JjkBpCuL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Random searching Facebook.....just found someone who posted they were in palliative care and have been moved to a more normal diagnosis (enough so they are posting on FB)!
Anyone ever heard of someone being UPGRADED from palliative care before?  I certainly haven't.
SC

6 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Random searching Facebook.....just found someone who posted they were in palliative care and have been moved to a more normal diagnosis (enough so they are posting on FB)!
Anyone ever heard of someone being UPGRADED from palliative care before?  I certainly haven't.
SC

A better hospital?

13 minutes ago, msc said:

A better hospital?

Well he IS a pastor in the Indianapolis area.  So perhaps a layer or two of intended confusion and fraud.

4 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

It’s kind of my line of work and on a semi regular basis we get handed palliative cases only for them to be bombing around the care home on their roller skates a year later, having made miraculous recoveries. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is how I feel atm. I have shit to do but dangles keep me coming back

catdrag.gif

40 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Anyone who posts hereabouts a resident of the Outer Hebrides and - if so - is the place currently tinder dry as claimed in this story? Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-43277232

Lololol I thought you meant tindr dry, as all matches be a McLeod :D

Snow not hit them afaik and therefore no precipitation.

My best guess is someone reported to the police there was a Catholicly looking person around.

Same as if a fox, all hand on decks and 'eliminate' by any means.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, charon said:

Lololol I thought you meant tindr dry, as all matches be a McLeod :D

Snow not hit them afaik and therefore no precipitation.

My best guess is someone reported to the police there was a Catholicly looking person around.

Same as if a fox, all hand on decks and 'eliminate' by any means.

Aye, there's heather and peat soil all over the place up there so a decent spark and a good wind could torch a whole hillside. But it does rain quite a bit.

10 hours ago, charon said:

LMy best guess is someone reported to the police there was a Catholicly looking person around.

They haven't caught me yet but I've heard tell they do things to people known to be harbouring /aiding and  abetting Catholics. They tamper with their doors and water pipes etc. Don't let it happen to you! Be A Ware.

On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 00:45, Boudicca said:

They haven't caught me yet but I've heard tell they do things to people known to be harbouring /aiding and  abetting Catholics. They tamper with their doors and water pipes etc. Don't let it happen to you! Be A Ware.

Not heard any follow up but

Three fires occurring in rapid succession

Chances of that being accidental are remote, surely

I'll hold off moving there for now ty MPFC :ph34r:

Or ever :unsure:

Without a strong male protestant protector :rolleyes:

Why the fuck am I having to sign in every fucking time I open this fucking forum AGAIN?

25 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Why the fuck am I having to sign in every fucking time I open this fucking forum AGAIN?

Cos we're trying to keep people from the bottom of society's deep rejection pit off this hallowed turf. Prince Philip and Robert Mugabe will be standing by with a gun next time.