Death Watch Beatle

The Dead Of 2008

Guest Guest
Two Hollywood related deaths to report...

Nina Foch, a 1940s B-movie starlet who went on to supporting roles in several Hollywood blockbusters including Spartacus, An American in Paris, and The Ten Commandments, has died at the age of 84:

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-...,0,533502.story

Beverly Garland, another B-movie starlet (a reliable staple in the films of B-movie master Roger Corman) who went on to a solid career in film and television, has died at the age of 82.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-ga...0,3405510.story

After a very slow November, we have just been hit with a deluge of celebrity deaths the first week of December. Nice to see the Grim Reaper finally woke up to claim some old souls... ;)

Paul Benedict, Odetta, Forrest J. Ackerman, Nina Foch, and Beverly Garland all in one week. Not bad, not bad.... :crossbone:

Oh piss off you moron, no-one's heard of any of these people.

Nina Foch, a 1940s B-movie starlet who went on to supporting roles in several Hollywood blockbusters including Spartacus, An American in Paris, and The Ten Commandments, has died at the age of 84:

Beverly Garland, another B-movie starlet (a reliable staple in the films of B-movie master Roger Corman) who went on to a solid career in film and television, has died at the age of 82.

After a very slow November, we have just been hit with a deluge of celebrity deaths the first week of December. Nice to see the Grim Reaper finally woke up to claim some old souls... ;)

Paul Benedict, Odetta, Forrest J. Ackerman, Nina Foch, and Beverly Garland all in one week. Not bad, not bad.... :crossbone:

I am American, you're British. So that's understandable. The five names I mentioned are known primarily to Americans. Of the five deaths, the only name probably familiar to non-Americans is Forrest J. Ackerman. But hopefully, my American heritage explains my American-centric posts and my emphasis on American celebrities. But I do focus on non-American celebrities who are obviously known internationally.

My Grandma might have. But she's dead.

Did anybody know that Byron Lee had died?

According to wikipedia he died on the 4th November.

He was number 13 on my 2009 DDP.

He obviously wasn't as famous as I thought...

Here's your obit mate...

Hardly what one would call "celebritry deaths" even in the US.Aside from a couple of later cameos Paul Benedict was a supporting cast member of "The Jeffersons'",a distinctly un-funny sit-com from the 70s-80s.The two 'starlets' are long forgotten and the other two would only be remembered in certain circles.

Hardly what one would call "celebritry deaths" even in the US.Aside from a couple of later cameos Paul Benedict was a supporting cast member of "The Jeffersons'",a distinctly un-funny sit-com from the 70s-80s.The two 'starlets' are long forgotten and the other two would only be remembered in certain circles.

Ex Benedict?

Slightly harsh, I feel. Just because you haven't heard of them, doesn't mean nobody has. And we are a universal site, are we not, so why shouldn't American deaths be reported? Consider when Wendy Richard dies - that will be a massive story here, but nobody in America will know who she is, so it works both ways. I'll wager a lot of people look at this site without actually posting, so it may have been useful information for someone.

Guest Me

Slightly harsh, I feel. Just because you haven't heard of them, doesn't mean nobody has. And we are a universal site, are we not, so why shouldn't American deaths be reported? Consider when Wendy Richard dies - that will be a massive story here, but nobody in America will know who she is, so it works both ways. I'll wager a lot of people look at this site without actually posting, so it may have been useful information for someone.

Very harsh. I check this site every day for news updates and it's very useful.

Well ... Alexy II and Sunny von Bülow also died this week and so far, these two have received extensive coverage by the media.

CNN just did a long tribute to Sunny von Bülow this morning.

Alexy II's death is listed as the top story on several on-line news outlets.

Meanwhile, the five celebrities I mentioned who died this week were practically ignored by the media. Odetta received some media coverage for her work as a civil rights activist -- and the fact that she was supposed to sing for Obama's Presidential inauguration -- but otherwise, no one outside of certain circles is paying tribute to these five fine celebrities who died last week. ;)

i never heard of Sunny von Bülow so I guess that shows my age. But most news shows have covered her death, some extensively. One show even described Bülow as the "Paris Hilton" of her time, which I guess shows how prominent Bulow was.

Bob Spiers who directed the Ab Fab, Fawlty Towers and Dad's Army has died at the age of 63

Very sad news that Oliver Postgate died earlier today :)

Oh no....I thought he had a fair few years in him. A sad day for kid's TV... :birthday:

Oh no....I thought he had a fair few years in him. A sad day for kid's TV... :birthday:

Bugger, he was going to be my joker in DDP next year.

That is really sad, I was watching Bagpuss with my daughter only this evening and had no idea that Postgate had passed away :birthday:

Bugger, he was going to be my joker in DDP next year.

I'm guessing you wouldn't be the only one, Handrejka!

Veteran actor Robert Prosky is dead, aged 77. He appeared in bucketloads of TV shows & films, including Far & Away, Cheers etc etc

Don't recognise the name? Try the face -

robert-prosky.jpg

Veteran actor Robert Prosky is dead, aged 77. He appeared in bucketloads of TV shows & films, including Far & Away, Cheers etc etc

robert-prosky.jpg

I was straining to figure out what film I'd seen him in, so I could come and boast how culturally attuned I was. Then I realized that it was Mrs. Doubtfire. I recall it being amusing when I was a kid... not so much as an adult (legally speaking, anyhow).

robert-prosky.jpg

Funnily enough, I always used to mistake him for Deathlist graduate Al Lewis!

Hill Street Blues I remember him best in...

Drazan Jerkovic

Former Yugoslavian / Croatian footballer and first manager of the Croatian national side

"Jerkovic was the top scorer at the first European championship in 1960, playing for a Yugoslavia squad which finished runners-up.

He was also one of four joint top scorers at the the 1962 World Cup in Chile with four goals.

He played most of his club football for Dinamo Zagreb scoring 300 goals on 315 games.

Jerkovic coached Yugoslavia to the gold medal at the 1971 Mediterranean Games and went on to become the first coach of Croatia following the country's split from the Yugoslav federation in 1991."

Tassos Papadopoulos, former President of Cyprus, has been flown to an American clinic after experiencing "back pains". It does seem rather a long way to travel to get an aching back treated...

Tassos Papadopoulos is now said to be suffering from lung cancer. :skull:

It's breaking news. You called it Devon.

More breaking news - Papadopoulos has died..

Tassos Papadopoulos, former President of Cyprus, has been flown to an American clinic after experiencing "back pains". It does seem rather a long way to travel to get an aching back treated...

Tassos Papadopoulos is now said to be suffering from lung cancer. :skull:

It's breaking news. You called it Devon.

More breaking news - Papadopoulos has died..

Indeed, excellent call DDT. Now can we please have 50 more just like that for DL 2009. You have 19 days .

Thanks,

CR