Godot

Art For Death's Sake

An Art / design classic. RIP.

Sex_Pistols_-_God_Save_the_Queen.jpg

• Like 2

In the same year at school as Roy Hodgson (John Ruskin Grammar), fact fans.

• Haha 1

The Sex Pistols logo is a design classic by itself. I've often thought that the blackmail-style lettering has been copied innumerable times*, but nobody has ever made it look the way Jamie Reid did. Proof that he was a real artist, I suppose.

*Mostly by talentless people, it has to be said, blackmail lettering having become a dimwit's signifier for "punk."

American painter Brice Marden died at 84 years;

https://www.artnews.com/art-news/news/brice-marden-painter-dead-1234676826/

He was a minimalist artist of large-scale, simplistic works such as "The Dylan Painting" from 1966, "1986," "Fave" from 1969, and "Lethykos" from 1976.

His first wife Pauline was the sister of renowned folk singer Joan Baez.

• Like 4

Saw a trailer yesterday for the Sky Arts Documentary which features a new in depth interview with David Hockney. He sounds absolutely awful. I think he should be considered for the 2024 list

• Sad 1

I never liked the style, but he was an A-list name of the art world. 

Austrian-born Canadian artist Anne Kahane (Wiki

dead at 99

• Thanks 1

Post-abstraction artist Robert Irwin, best known for creating installation art in parks, museums, and various other urban locales, died at 95 years:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2023-10-25/robert-irwin-artist-dead-dies-getty-garden-light-and-space

His first exhibit, a series of hand-held objects he painted, appeared at the Ferus Gallery in 1959.

• Like 1

Artist Roger Kastel reported dead on the Xwires...

As the tweet said, you'll definitely know the work.

• Like 5

Hungarian-born French artist Vera Molnar (Wikidead at 99

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grimgrass said:

In critical condition. His wife does not expect him to live much longer.

I thought he was dead this time.

I promise him an immortal spot if he survives to next year.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, drol said:

I thought he was dead this time.

I promise him an immortal spot if he survives to next year.

I was sure he was already on the immortal list ! He for sure qualifies as @arghton sum up his illnesses a while ago : « Juhani Palmu (Have to mention him here. Diabetes, stroke, heart problems, history of smoking and drinking, stroke, heart attack, battled three different cancers plus now battling cancer, two near-fatal house fires that have resulted in him loosing all the fingers on one of his hands, one leg and multiple toes. The second fire put him into coma, he was critical in ICU and his heart stopped beating twice during a surgery. He's 77, must be some kind of a medical miracle) » 

since then near fatal infection in April 2023 + pneumonia in october + now hospitalized. I personnaly consider him the King of immortals.

The two house fire are just cherry on top

4 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I was sure he was already on the immortal list ! He for sure qualifies as @arghton sum up his illnesses a while ago : « Juhani Palmu (Have to mention him here. Diabetes, stroke, heart problems, history of smoking and drinking, stroke, heart attack, battled three different cancers plus now battling cancer, two near-fatal house fires that have resulted in him loosing all the fingers on one of his hands, one leg and multiple toes. The second fire put him into coma, he was critical in ICU and his heart stopped beating twice during a surgery. He's 77, must be some kind of a medical miracle) » 

since then near fatal infection in April 2023 + pneumonia in october + now hospitalized. I personnaly consider him the King of immortals.

The two house fire are just cherry on top

Blasphemy!

• Haha 4

AHAHAHAH! WTF?

• Haha 1

Nicholas Dimebley, sculptor and youngest of the three Dimbleby boys, dead at 77 from motor neurone disease.

Times obit.

Survived of course by broadcasting legends David (86 this year) and Jonathan (80 this year).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Nicholas Dimebley, sculptor and youngest of the three Dimbleby boys, dead at 77 from motor neurone disease.

Times obit.

Survived of course by broadcasting legends David (86 this year) and Jonathan (80 this year).

and of course David and Jonathan are both DDP picks, whereas young Mr. Dimebley is not.

• Like 1