Jump to content
Grim Reaper

4. Bob Dole

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Well come down Bob, 98 and a cancer ? 

I have heard that once you reach a certain age, cancer becomes less deadly, because your metabolism slows down so much, the cancer cant grow as fast anymore.

Still, Bob was already pretty frail (no comparison to Jimmy Carter when he had stage 4 cancer). How much treatment can he stand?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I have heard that once you reach a certain age, cancer becomes less deadly, because your metabolism slows down so much, the cancer cant grow as fast anymore.

Still, Bob was already pretty frail (no comparison to Jimmy Carter when he had stage 4 cancer). How much treatment can he stand?

Yeah I heard the Same thing, but Same, if thé cancer is not that deadly at 98, chemotherapy might be...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is a goner and it's fucking time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I have heard that once you reach a certain age, cancer becomes less deadly, because your metabolism slows down so much, the cancer cant grow as fast anymore.

Still, Bob was already pretty frail (no comparison to Jimmy Carter when he had stage 4 cancer). How much treatment can he stand?

 

Hmm, contextually, yes, there is little real difference in the 5 year prognosis stats for lung cancer between 60 and 99 - but then, it's 13% for 60 year olds and 6% for folk Doles age - not so far to drop when its already grim territory. The two lung cancer stats (Stage IV prognosis, survival rates in the over 90s) spell grim reading for any fans of Bob Dole. Like Bob Dole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad to get to such an age then get such a nasty disease.Doubt they will bother with chemo or radiotherapy as he is so elderly and frail.Yes cancer grows more slowly as you get older but when you are that frail and elderly you are more likely to get complications earlier like pneumonia due to a failing immune system .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read he is having treatment.In that case I reckon that will finish him off before the cancer.If I was as old and physically frail as him there is no way I would put myself through that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

My reaction when I read the news a few minutes ago.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with @Sean. He’s a goner, and sooner rather than later.

Stage IV means it’s likely in his lymph nodes and other organs.

 

The form of treatment at this stage depends on where the cancer has spread to. “Treatment” could mean one or a combination of chemotherapy, radiotherapy, immunotherapy (drugs) and surgery.

 

I think at this stage they might opt for the less invasive options (drugs) that could extend his life slightly, but as a frail wheelchair bound 97.5 year old, the likeliness is it will still kill him and it’s a gamble that isn’t worthwhile.

 

I think we’re talking only a few weeks here.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob Dole thinks Bob Dole is fucked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The man looked skeletal even before his diagnosis. Just lasting a few months would be miraculous.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He saw we lost our other lung cancer-ridden conservative and decided to replace him!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, msc said:

 

Hmm, contextually, yes, there is little real difference in the 5 year prognosis stats for lung cancer between 60 and 99 - but then, it's 13% for 60 year olds and 6% for folk Doles age - not so far to drop when its already grim territory. The two lung cancer stats (Stage IV prognosis, survival rates in the over 90s) spell grim reading for any fans of Bob Dole. Like Bob Dole.

 

But the 5 year survival rate at 98 if you are fighting fit can't be much better than 6%? :scratchhead:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt he'll last more than a month 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also not even March yet already quite a year for GOP losses.

 

They've lost the Senate, Sheldon Adelson, George Shultz, and Rush Limbaugh, and now Bob Dole looks nailed on for this year.

 

Kind of like 2018 when they lost McCain, the Bushes, and the House.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

 

But the 5 year survival rate at 98 if you are fighting fit can't be much better than 6%? :scratchhead:

 

The maths is somewhere on this forum but I can't find it and its a bit beyond me. (But iirc no, its higher because we're talking a small portion of the public by default?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sean said:

[bob dole doesn’t need this.vid]

My reaction when I read the news a few minutes ago.

 

he’s doomed. DOOOOOMED!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, msc said:

 

The maths is somewhere on this forum but I can't find it and its a bit beyond me. (But iirc no, its higher because we're talking a small portion of the public by default?)

 

You are right - in US the odds of surviving 5 years at 95 for all 95 year old men is 17.03% and at 100 is 8.71% so for all 98 year olds must be in region of 12%.

 

So having lung cancer at 98 halves your chances of living for 5 years. However I can't believe that is stage 4 lung cancer. :skull: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sean said:

Just read he is having treatment.In that case I reckon that will finish him off before the cancer.If I was as old and physically frail as him there is no way I would put myself through that.

Yes, in the nicest possible way this has probably reduced his life expectancy by six months tops. He's reached a great age and deserves to quietly slip away 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Also not even March yet already quite a year for GOP losses.

 

They've lost the Senate, Sheldon Adelson, George Shultz, and Rush Limbaugh, and now Bob Dole looks nailed on for this year.

 

Kind of like 2018 when they lost McCain, the Bushes, and the House.

 

Who else? Kissinger? Cheney? Dan Quayle? The Orange one? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

 

You are right - in US the odds of surviving 5 years at 95 for all 95 year old men is 17.03% and at 100 is 8.71% so for all 98 year olds must be in region of 12%.

 

So having lung cancer at 98 halves your chances of living for 5 years. However I can't believe that is stage 4 lung cancer. :skull: 

 

Yes, well, we all know he is fucked now. Drop 40 in danger of becoming the Reapers to do list this year...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/02/2021 at 12:30, Grim Up North said:

 

You are right - in US the odds of surviving 5 years at 95 for all 95 year old men is 17.03% and at 100 is 8.71% so for all 98 year olds must be in region of 12%.

 

So having lung cancer at 98 halves your chances of living for 5 years. However I can't believe that is stage 4 lung cancer. :skull: 

my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer, because it had spread from a walnut sized tumor to 2 lymph nodes- it was therefore out in the system- that's all it takes, doesn't mean a huge spread- my husband lasted 7 more years, but he was in his 30's when it was discovered-  looking at Dole, I would say he is not long for this world!

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use