Sign in to follow this  
Spade_Cooley

The New Dunn...

Guest Old 'un

Well, Wilford Brimley has been in my main DDP team twice in a row (out of three). Like Dunn, people think he's looked old for a long time: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000979/board/thread/220211234

He is a spokesperson for diabetes and gets parodied a lot on Youtube.

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KICIOYlZTr8

Other facts: He's a mormon, is buddies with John McCain, was once a bodyguard to Howard Hughes and supports cockfighting.

You're clearly too new to remember the weird and wonderful world of his 'nephew' Bruno, a poster who made Banshees Scream look like John Major.

Dunn was legendary because he had appeared to be fucking old for decades.

He was playing septuagenarians when he still had hairless bollocks.

That was they key to his DL legendary status 'How does somebody who is so old live for soooooo long?'

Twas all smoke and mirrors.

That's the way it goes, unless we can find another BRITISH character actor who has appeared to have lived for centuries there cannot ever be another Dunn.

Let it go!

• Like 2

That was they key to his DL legendary status 'How does somebody who is so old live for soooooo long?'

That's the way it goes, unless we can find another BRITISH character actor who has appeared to have lived for centuries there cannot ever be another Dunn.

Let it go!

On that basis, Warren Mitchell would fit the bill, he's British and has looked ancient since the sixties. Yet somehow he doesn't seem worthy.

It's a difficult one as I think DL benefited in a strange sort of way from worshipping at the totem-pole of the omnipresent deity that was Clive Dunn, but, as you say, he is just irreplaceable.

• Like 2

Let it go!

On that basis, Warren Mitchell would fit the bill, he's British and has looked ancient since the sixties. Yet somehow he doesn't seem worthy.

It's a difficult one as I think DL benefited in a strange sort of way from worshipping at the totem-pole of the omnipresent deity that was Clive Dunn, but, as you say, he is just irreplaceable.

So, we dig him up and - like - take him on adventures we then blog on here. That might attract a few ranters.

• Like 1

Let it go!

So, we dig him up and - like - take him on adventures we then blog on here. That might attract a few ranters.

I seem to recall, a long while back mind, the Alan Wicker appreciation society. Members would meet up for Wicker conventions dressed as the Deity himself, resplendent in suit, glasses, a mouse tasche and would have the great mans voice and mannerisms down to utter perfection.

Mebee we ought to start up a Dunn appreciation society ( bit late, I know) where we could all arrive dressed like Dunn as he was when he recorded his 1970 hit 'Grandad' and starred in the Kids TV series of the same name or summat.

Just an idea, like.

Let it go!

I think a lot of Dunn's legendary status is down to the perception of time.

Those of us who grew up in the seventies and eighties would have sat through episodes and episoses of Dad's Army understanding that the programme had been running forever (before one was born) and because it represented the war (which in 1975 was closer then than the Falklands war is now) pushed it further back in time in our minds. We would also recognise Dunn from kids TV and again assume the distance between the two was longer and then 20 years later when we start deadpooling and the guy is still alive it is a miracle.

I agree Mitchell is a possibility but I think the closest is probably Peter Sallis who spent 40 years playing a retired man in LOTSW. As well as delighting everyone as the voice of Wallace.

A sppof site of Wikpedia Uncyclopedia has this in its entry for Zsa Zsa :

"Today, Gabor is currently very old (although she insists that she is just merely old) and living in Bel Air, California. Death has come to call, but she refused to answer the phone or greet Death at the door. "He must make an appointment with my secretary dahling, I'm a very busy woman."

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Zsa_Zsa_Gabor

Abe Vigoda`s entry is even more amusing as it states about 50 odd ways he has supposedly died including being aborted ,getting killed in a high school massacre and starving to death during the Great depression. It also lists him as being one of the few people who was "born old".

The two seem to have a Dunn like appeal of being light heartedly taken the piss out of on account of them still being alive which is what Clive was about.

A sppof site of Wikpedia Uncyclopedia has this in its entry for Zsa Zsa :"Today, Gabor is currently very old (although she insists that she is just merely old) and living in Bel Air, California. Death has come to call, but she refused to answer the phone or greet Death at the door. "He must make an appointment with my secretary dahling, I'm a very busy woman."http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Zsa_Zsa_GaborAbe Vigoda`s entry is even more amusing as it states about 50 odd ways he has supposedly died including being aborted ,getting killed in a high school massacre and starving to death during the Great depression. It also lists him as being one of the few people who was "born old".The two seem to have a Dunn like appeal of being light heartedly taken the piss out of on account of them still being alive which is what Clive was about.

Meh.

The 'dahling' quip is misplaced, as that's a reference to Green Acres and of course that's EVA Gabor not Zsa Zsa so it's a fail.

SC

Both of them and their sister Magda and mother Jolie always said dahling dahling dahling, okay?

• Like 2

Let it go!

Those of us who grew up in the seventies and eighties would have sat through episodes and episoses of Dad's Army understanding that the programme had been running forever (before one was born) and because it represented the war (which in 1975 was closer then than the Falklands war is now) pushed it further back in time in our minds. We would also recognise Dunn from kids TV and again assume the distance between the two was longer and then 20 years later when we start deadpooling and the guy is still alive it is a miracle.

I agree Mitchell is a possibility but I think the closest is probably Peter Sallis who spent 40 years playing a retired man in LOTSW. As well as delighting everyone as the voice of Wallace.

I just had a brainwave: what about Gudrun Ure?
  • Like 2

Let it go!

Aye, Supergran (b. 1926) that could be a good call!

• Like 1

Are there any remaining individuals who played retirees on 1970s television still with us? Was June Whitfield supposed to be in her 60s in Terry and June?

Of course, a Whitfield pick would allow us to reminisce on the life of Terry Scott, up there with Hughie Green and Arthur Mullard in the "great bunch of lads from 1970s light entertainment" roster.

Let it go!

Brilliant! Having known her as Supergran when growing up I was surprised to find out when googling a few years ago that a) she was still alive and B) wasn't as old as most seemed to think.
  • Like 1

Let it go!

Brilliant! Having known her as Supergran when growing up I was surprised to find out when googling a few years ago that a) she was still alive and B) wasn't as old as most seemed to think.

GUDRUN IS ALIVE?

• Like 2

Let it go!

Aye, but she's 90 next year, so definitely in the spirit of Dunny.

Let's do this!

• Like 2

Let it go!

Let's do this!

Great thinking.

I suggest we get Lady G to pop over and check her out before we actually campaign to get her onto the 2016 list or summat.

• Like 1

There is a distinct possibility she might outlive Billy Connelly (who sang the Supergran theme tune).

This may be a tad confusing to some of our overseas posters. Supergran at its best was filler kids television squirralled away on Sunday afternoons (The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul). How many episodes were actually made?

There is a distinct possibility she might outlive Billy Connelly (who sang the Supergran theme tune).

This may be a tad confusing to some of our overseas posters. Supergran at its best was filler kids television squirralled away on Sunday afternoons (The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul). How many episodes were actually made?

Two seasons series of 13 episodes and a Christmas special. (Source IMDb)

Let it go!

Let's do this!

Cheers folks. After posting here for about 6 years, I have finally made a meaningful suggestion. :D

Let it go!

Let's do this!

Cheers folks. After posting here for about 6 years, I have finally made a meaningful suggestion. :D

Now Paul Bearer's trying to can the idea: http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8338#entry236877

Who will prevail? An autocrat or the voice of the people? :D

PB always wins. :shoot2:

• Like 1