Spade_Cooley

Morrissey

He just came out

https://www.stereogum.com/1972787/morrissey-further-defends-harvey-weinstein-and-kevin-spacey-just-a-pathetic-attempt-at-courtship/news/

In support of Kevin Spacey and Harvey Weinstein. Wonder if he also has some dirty skeleton in his closet

Dunno about the dirty skeleton - he does have a new album to sell which got mediocre reviews and peaked at #5 last week (lowest chart peak since Maladjusted 20 years ago)

Seriously, maybe brain cancer? Personality changes can happen. If he's spotted eating a burger out, that's more evidence.

On 20/04/2018 at 11:02, gcreptile said:

Animal rights activist and right-winger....Is he becoming Hitler? 

Then again, Jeremy Corbyn is left-wing and a vegetarian. The Guardian article quotes Morrissey:

As far as racism goes, the modern loony left seem to forget that Hitler was leftwing,” he says now.

Pasting from Wikipedia page on "Adolf Hitler and vegetarianism":

Personal accounts from people who knew Hitler and were familiar with his diet indicate that he did not consume meat as part of his diet during this period, with several contemporaneous witnesses—such as Albert Speer (in his memoirs, Inside the Third Reich)—noting that Hitler used vivid and gruesome descriptions of animal suffering and slaughter at the dinner table to try to dissuade his colleagues from eating meat. An examination of Hitler's remains carried out by French scientists in 2017 found no traces of meat fibre in the tartar on Hitler's teeth.

Lots of lifelong vegetarians are normal, bright, and happy and have adequate nutrition in their diets to keep them that way; but it's easy for people very sensitive to animal rights to the point of avoiding avocados because insects are exploited to make them (learned this on QI), to starve their brains of essential fats and vitamins more readily absorbed from animal (including fish, many ocean/saltwater varieties which aren't part of factory farming or inhumane slaughterhouse conditions) protein.

Fun Morrissey quotes about his tour in Canada:

My decision to return to Canada after almost 15 years of protest against its savage and Neanderthal annual Baby Seal Kill is entirely because my stance was ultimately of no use and helped no one

“My voice was drowned out by the merciless swing of spiked axes crushing the heads of babies. On my return to Canada I feel that I can be of more use by making sizeable donations to animal protection groups in each city that I play.”

Seeing the thread being bumped I was dreading the worst news possible, but thankfully he hasn't written a second novel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 22:55, gcreptile said:

His mother is gravely ill, apparently, and without her, "there is no tomorrow" for him either:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/morrisseys-heartbreaking-message-fans-irish-22499277

Elizabeth Dwyer, Morrissey's mother, dead: https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/275030-elizabeth-dwyer-dies

• Like 1

Heaven knows he’s miserable now, etc.

• Haha 1

What difference does it make?

• Haha 1

Aye well

Expect Ouija Board Ouija Board to feature in every gig from here onwards!

Following the death of Andy Rourke and the discussion of The Smiths' oeuvre over at the Dead Pop Stars thread, I generally took their appearances on TOTP as a cue to make a cup of coffee or have a loo break.

To my ear, it always sounded like Morrissey was singing the same song over and over, while the rest of the band came up with not half bad decent tunes. As a result, their songs just jarred for me.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Following the death of Andy Rourke and the discussion of The Smiths' oeuvre over at the Dead Pop Stars thread, I generally took their appearances on TOTP as a cue to make a cup of coffee or have a loo break.

To my ear, it always sounded like Morrissey was singing the same song over and over, while the rest of the band came up with not half bad decent tunes. As a result, their songs just jarred for me.

You've hit the nail on the head.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Morrissey and Marr wrote some songs for Kirsty McColl which are surprisingly upbeat but when you listen to them you can detect the sense of The Smiths in there.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Well, he was. 

But of the bits of The Smiths I like (which do exist, but aren't a lot), Morrissey is relatively a non-factor and it's the musical stuff Marr wrote or Rourke manages which makes those songs work. Morrissey seemingly wanted to do Paul Weller style lyrics but lacked the maturity, the rest of the band were looking towards pop sensibilities of the time. Which is why Boy With the Thorn in His Side (Morrissey picked the title) has lasted better than, say, Bigmouth Strikes Again. Because tunes hold up better than teenage attempts at earnest lectures.*

*Note this isn't a strict rule. Terry Hall was younger than Morrissey. More that Morrissey himself was dire at it, and has only regressed since. 

• Like 5

Morrissey ‘receiving medical supervision’ as former Smiths singer cancels arena concerts

In a statement shared to social media, a spokesperson for Morrissey revealed that the singer was getting medical care after suffering “physical exhaustion”.

“He has been ordered to rest for two weeks, and he will remain in Zurich,” wrote Donnie Knutson.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Planetist said:

Another I considered and passed over for this year’s TOTP team.

Must be awful being stranded in Zurich - though some consider it a gnome from gnome.

*buttons up coat and heads for the door*