Paul Bearer

5. Pope Francis

10 hours ago, Sean said:

Coming back onto the subject of Pope Francis.I think he is probably safe to be left off the list next year baring any complications but definitely think he should go on the list before he is 90.Age is clearly catching up with him and with one lung he is vulnerable to infections  and complication but he doesn't look in immediate danger and also doesn't look terribly frail or gaunt and looks reasonable for a man who is 87 next month.

I think the one lung is even more of a reason to include him next year IMO. If he still had both I'd leave him off for another year or two but having just the one makes him more vunerable. Worth having in the lower third of the list IMO

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DaDeathGuy said:

So it was a tranny who limited my posting for comments on Ukraine? Makes sense.

Dude sees the last guy get banned and immediately decides to do the same thing. Its like watching someone fall off a cliff and then deciding to jump after them

5 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

I think the one lung is even more of a reason to include him next year IMO. If he still had both I'd leave him off for another year or two but having just the one makes him more vunerable. Worth having in the lower third of the list IMO

Francis is already older than John Paul II when he died so I think that he should be considered.

14 hours ago, DaDeathGuy said:

So it was a tranny who limited my posting for comments on Ukraine? Makes sense.

t-slur use? cringe. god forbid they ever find out a genderfluid person is quoting them rn teehee

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, I.R.Baboon said:

I think it's good to have some people on the list that make a lot of public appearances, so we'll have something to talk about. A list full of celebrities living off radar and then suddenly dying is not much fun issit?

But when I suggest Eugenia Cooney suddenly she's not famous enough and the boring old farts dying off radar are more interesting.

• Like 2

Trip to Dubai (for the UN Climate Conference, not just a holibobs) cancelled on doctor’s orders.

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

Genuinely get him on next year's list. Famous enough old enough and sick enough is a rare enough hattrick for a DLy name. And he doesn't feel like he's got much time left...

• Like 3

2021 - Queen Elizabeth cancels visit to UN Climate Conference. 

2022- Queen Elizabeth dies. 
2023 - Pope Francis cancels visit to UN Climate Conference

2024 - Pope Francis dies? 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, msc said:

Genuinely get him on next year's list. Famous enough old enough and sick enough is a rare enough hattrick for a DLy name. And he doesn't feel like he's got much time left...

Completely agree with you.  Maybe he lasts several more years, but he's just too famous, and the one lung thing...yeah, get him on.  Christ, Dick Van Dyke is in better health.  

3 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Well enough to meet Brendan Rodgers...

D'ya think they bonded over the unique experience of being the boss when there's no significant competition around?

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Well enough to meet Brendan Rodgers...

Yet he was unable to perform the miracle of keeping Celtic in Europe

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Yet he was unable to perform the miracle of keeping Celtic in Europe

Rangers struggled with that too this year...

2 minutes ago, Comped said:

Rangers struggled with that too this year...

He'll probably take credit for that.......

Francis wants to be buried outside the Vatican:

https://www.spiegel.de/panorama/papst-franziskus-will-ausserhalb-der-vatikanmauern-bestattet-werden-a-1ccbfc01-dcc2-4e90-9ef0-e46a41526bb8

Getting to the end? Still, he has three trips planned for 2024. The third one to Argentina sounds very much like a farewell visit to me. I think he's "planning" to depart in 2025. Guess we'll see how that goes.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

https://www.spiegel.de/panorama/papst-franziskus-will-ausserhalb-der-vatikanmauern-bestattet-werden-a-1ccbfc01-dcc2-4e90-9ef0-e46a41526bb8

Getting to the end? Still, he has three trips planned for 2024. The third one to Argentina sounds very much like a farewell visit to me. I think he's "planning" to depart in 2025. Guess we'll see how that goes.

You may read too much into this, funeral and post mortem rituals for such big figure are planned since their accession to the throne (ie. QEII). But I agree that he should be on the list next year and that he is nearing the end 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

You may read too much into this, funeral and post mortem rituals for such big figure are planned since their accession to the throne (ie. QEII). But I agree that he should be on the list next year and that he is nearing the end 

Sorry for posting a german link, but in his case, it's not true. He's currently planning to have his ceremony reduced. The article links to a mexican interview about that. He'd also be the first Pope in over a hundred years to not be buried there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Prehaps he will resign after the Argentina trip. He has said before he might not die in office. 

• Like 3

On 29/11/2023 at 15:52, Bibliogryphon said:

He'll probably take credit for that.......

He will be unhappy with tonight’s result then. 

Surprised to see him on the list this year I cant lie. I would've expected him to be held off until about 2025+

• Like 3

Last video I saw of him, early Decembre, he was in a wheelchair, but sort of stable. In my mind he's a pretty certain 2025 hit. But yes. you don't want to miss him.

• Like 4

In a way, the Pope Benedict XVI miss explains this pick. However, it would only make sense as a long-term commitment: he should now never be dropped until he dies, no matter when that is. Otherwise, there's no point in picking him this year and dropping him next year.

• Like 2

Such high placement means surely they're seeing him out. Popes shouldn't be misses in general, but yes, feels symbolic given he's far more iconic than Benny was.

• Like 4