Paul Bearer

5. Pope Francis

Must avoid large gatherings. Augurs well for Easter! ^_^

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Must avoid large gatherings. Augurs well for Easter! ^_^

I think it's likely that the Easter Mass this year will become the Easter miss ! 

• Like 1

The pope did not look particularly well at this evening's Urbi et Orbi.

14 minutes ago, Seppuku said:

The pope did not look particularly well at this evening's Urbi et Orbi.

Damn you're right. He looked tired and very grey. 

Listening to the More or Less archives, they had an episode on Pope mortality rates and predicted Francis, as an elderly Argentine man, would make it to 86 (ie 2022). As he only has one working lung, there's a chest infection pandemic routing the globe, and given people keep saying he never looks that well - maybe one to watch for 2021...

• Like 2

if Francis died first would Benedict get his old job back?Temporarily at least?:unsure:

5 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

if Francis died first would Benedict get his old job back?Temporarily at least?:unsure:

No, the status of Leader of the Vatican would go to the Dean of the College of Cardinals that elect the new pope.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

If it was anyone else I would condemn it but Pope Francis is effectively according to Catholics the human incarnation of God Himself so is considered by Catholics to be immune from earthly viruses. If you are non catholic you might scoff at this but you have to respect the religiius beliefs of what is a huge proportion of the worlds population!

• Facepalm 2

2 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

If it was anyone else I would condemn it but Pope Francis is effectively the human incarnation of God Himself so is considered to be immune from earthly viruses. 

You know I'm going to laugh at you so hard when Pope Francis gets covid right?

4 minutes ago, Kenny McCormick said:

You know I'm going to laugh at you so hard when Pope Francis gets covid right?

if it happens Catholics will see it as a divine test on Pope Francis. If he survives it will vindicate their beliefs that he is effectively God on earth. 

Like I say non catholics like me might  mock this but they do feel very strongly about their religion, and I guess we should respect that. 

3 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

if it happens Catholics will see it as a divine test on Pope Francis. If he survives it will vindicate their beliefs that he is effectively God on earth. 

Catholics will happily bend anything to fit into their narrative. If he doesnt catch it it'll be because 'God is immune to covid'. If he does and lives then 'God tested him'. If he dies then 'God moves in mysterious ways'. Catholic speculation is the most predictable thing ever.

• Haha 1

Pope's are well known for their immunity to ill health which is why John Paul II is still with and certainly didn't have the flu and sepsis in 2005...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoffinLodger said:

Also known as the 'Donald Trump Test'.

2 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Like I say non catholics like me might  mock this but they do feel very strongly about their religion, and I guess we should respect that. 

If it happens then surely you'd consult the parts of the Bible which refer to false prophets and consider it an act of God? Seems more logical to me. The Bible states that God will let no harm come to his true followers.

Heartwarming to see our favorite pontiff out and about superspreading the faith! 

84 today! :birthday:

58 minutes ago, drol said:

84 today! :birthday:

On Page 1 I made a crack about this being a long term appointment.

If Francis lives to January 24th (and I assume he will unless Gooseberry's got Christmas plans...) he'll overtake Benedict's reign in days! This doesn't get either in even the top 50 longest reigning Popes, although Francis is currently the 14th oldest Pope to ever live, and Benny the "second oldest" (ie actual oldest). I say 2nd, they consider Pope Agatho the longest lived at 104, despite the fact no records exist of the guys life until he became Pope in the 670s. As believable as those 150 year old claimants who show up...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Toast said:

Seems to be based on comments and guesses made several years ago.

Yep. Be surprised if he willingly forces a conclave in the current climate with all that's going on 

• Like 1

Rome (CNN) Pope Francis will not lead the Vatican's New Year's Eve and New Year's Day celebrations due to sciatic pain, the Vatican said in a statement on Thursday. This marks the first time the Pope has missed New Year's Eve or Christmas celebrations, but not the first event he has skipped.   Pope Francis to miss New Year's Eve masses due to sciatic pain - CNN

• Like 1

21 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Personal physician Dr. Fabrizio Soccorsi dies from complications related to COVID-19.

https://www.tellerreport.com/news/2021-01-09- ---vatican--pope-s-doctor--fabrizio-soccorsi--has-died --.S152tBwCD.html

Thats worrying news. Should watch this space...Francis could yet go before Benedict !