1 hour ago, Heef said:

I vaguely followed the long drawn out painful process of the Australian election on abc.com.au last time around. Seriously, you guys have some real problems that haven't hit us in NZ yet. Why do you bother with state legislatures which are as incompetent as they are volatile and bloody expensive to boot. Surely the equally volatile federal parliament could do it all. I mean, a separate state parliament for Tasmania? Bloody Norah. And while you're at constitutional reform, could you remove NZ from your constitution? Cheers bro!

Sometimes I think they should go the other way and dissolve the Commonwealth... Tasmania had a "Dominion League" in the 1930s when they realised joining the Commonwealth had been a huge mistake and they wanted their independence back. The Tasmanian Dominion League wanted it to separate from Australia and become a separate "dominion" of the British Empire again.

The threat worked in so far as the Federal Government threw some economic incentives (ie bribes) their way to shut them up and then WW2 happened.  However, Tasmania's economy has never returned to its 19th century strengths so you occasionally have calls for independence.  An economist, Bruce Felmingham, did some economic modeling once that seemed to prove that, yes, Tasmania really would be better off going it alone! :D  It is never going to happen though...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Toast said:

I'm disappointed to learn that it wasn't called the Margaret Court Court.

I'm interested to note that it is called the Margaret Court Arena rather than the Margaret Smith Arena (her maiden name) and yet the proposed rename is the Evonne Goolagong (her maiden name) Arena and not the Evonne Cawley Arena therefore managing to keep lesbians and Aborigines happy.

In terms of tennis accomplishments Court is the greatest player ever (not just Australian and not just female) so it's a tough call to remove her from the name because of her (abhorrent) views outside tennis.

Calling a Tennis Arena after the 'Best Australian Female Tennis Player who doesn't have abhorrent views about gays, lesbians and isn't a racist' seems a little bit pathetic.

Perhaps 'The Priscilla Queen of the Desert Arena' might be appropriate.

I note that the Australian National Living Treasure List started in 1997 (voted for by the public) never included her in the list of 100 so Australians obviously had some issues with her then although the Arena itself was only named after her in 2003 so perhaps Tennis Australia is now in a pickle it could have foreseen.

As an aside Rolf Harris made it onto the National Treasure list and is one of only two people to be removed whilst still living, the other being a disgraced former judge.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

I'm interested to note that it is called the Margaret Court Arena rather than the Margaret Smith Arena (her maiden name) and yet the proposed rename is the Evonne Goolagong (her maiden name) Arena and not the Evonne Cawley Arena therefore managing to keep lesbians and Aborigines happy.

Yes, I noticed that too.  I wasn't sure if Evonne had gone back to her maiden name for any reason, but it seems not.

Shlomo Helmand at 55. Founder of LevTajor, labelled the Jewish Taliban, bolted from Yanksville after kidnapping etc. Prick drowned in a Mexican river trying to  baptise some lucky cunt. Bwahahahahahaha  http://www.jewishpress.com/news/israel/religious-secular-in-israel-israel/report-haredi-cult-leader-shlomo-helbrans-drowned-in-mexico/2017/07/09/

Quote :Tommy Robinson, in a huns top, in Sunderland, wanting to wind up Celtic fans, may have been forced to eat a tumbler.:unquote.....

On 29/07/2017 at 16:00, charon said:

Quote :Tommy Robinson, in a huns top, in Sunderland, wanting to wind up Celtic fans, may have been forced to eat a tumbler.:unquote.....

It's funny because if you were trying to think of the most Celtic fan name possible, you'd probably end up with "Stevie Lennon".

• Like 1

Marianist René Laurentin has died aged 99. DDP unique.

17 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I remember as a young girl when they were trying to find these three men, it took two months or so to find them, there were reports like: body found here or there, etc. Oh good it is not them. Then again, a body was found, here or there : oh good it was not them. This seemed to go on and on. No one seemed to worry about all the bodies they found - so long as it was not them. I always remember this.

• Sad 1

Meh.

- points - racist hun fucktard.

+ points -  killed yanks.

Overall Odin verdict - Valhalla bound.

He wore a suit well.

*in his defence.

**and hats, yes. Hats.

Seems they could have accomplished this 50 years ago had they turned him loose in the general population.

2 hours ago, charon said:

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/elder-keetch-passes-away

Von G Keetch at 57, General Authority of the Mormons the last couple of years.

Whoa..... you putting Mormons in a thread for bigots?  That's harsh.  Pretty sure we have a 'clerics' thread a bit more appropriate.
If we had a 'cult' thread I'm on board, as Mormonism may well be that.  But bigots?  Nah.
SC

• Like 3

Nope. Bigot.

Tried to deny the Church's responsibility for the actions of its members.

Sorry SC, yo wrong on that one.

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Whoa..... you putting Mormons in a thread for bigots?  That's harsh.  Pretty sure we have a 'clerics' thread a bit more appropriate.
If we had a 'cult' thread I'm on board, as Mormonism may well be that.  But bigots?  Nah.
SC

There's a Charles Manson thread that could easily be turned into "Charles Manson and other cult loons" thread

QE 2 head of CoE, Pope whoever , you really don't want to go there deathers.

Once one of the nation's most prominent hatemongers, noted Bay County white supremacist and Nazi ally James Paul Wickstrom has died at the age of 75.

Most recently, Wickstrom lived in an apartment in Linwood, according to property records.  Saginaw County Clerk Michael Hanley confirmed that a death certificate was making its way to his office.

He doesn't sound too sad about it.
SC

• Like 1