Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

10 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

While I'm here, the BBC have also compiled an article looking at what a second Trump Presidency would look like. It truly is the stuff of nightmares. And there's not a mention of the fact he could be a convicted felon by the time he takes office. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67272569

Trump is planning to be better prepared for office this time around, knowing what it takes to force his agenda through and not wasting time getting started. Based on policy positions outlined by groups affiliated to him and pronouncements from The Donald himself, here's an insight into his plans:

1. Flying cars
  2. "Freedom Cities" built on federal land free of 'burdensome regulation'.
  3. Round-up the homeless and put them in tent camps until their 'problems can be identified' (he'd get on well with Cruella)
  4. State school teachers must 'embrace patriotic values'.
  5. A universal baseline tariff on all foreign imports.
  6. Reinstate the policy that undocumented migrants are held in Mexico while they apply for asylum.
  7. End automatic citizenship for children of illegal immigrants (Dreamers - this is unconstitutional by the way)
  8. Cut "hundreds of billions" of dollars of US foreign aid (and end the Ukraine war in the progress - in Russia's favour, naturally).
  9. Withdraw the US from NATO or scale back their commitments considerably.
  10. Open season for energy suppliers - drill, baby, drill.
  11. Reinstate an order he brought in allowing all civil servants to be sacked and replaced by political appointees (Biden repealed it).
  12. "Find and remove the radicals, zealots and Marxists who have infiltrated the Department for Education".
  13. "Pass critical reforms making every executive branch appointee fireable by the President of the United States." (which I think is essentially the definition of a dictator).
  14. Currently compiling a database of willing foot soldiers to staff the administration and ensure all these policies are enacted as soon as possible.

Americans aren't that stupid...surely...

He'll do fuck alll like he did last time.

I mean, listening to Oliver Dowden (any relation to Amy?) you kind of get the feeling that his defence of attempting to ban the Armistice Day Palestine protest is based on his fear that politicians will be out and about, and possibly targets for some.

Nothing would be funnier watching Sunak flee down the road with his half mast trews flapping round his lower shins.

When a finger salute from Andrea Jenkyns just won't cut it...:P

56 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

He'll do fuck alll like he did last time.

That's precisely what the article suggests he's intent on not doing. Nobody knew what they were doing when they took office, he had no plan beyond slogans and none of his team expected to win so weren't ready for the governing process. Now they've gone through it once, they're determined that this time, if they win, they're going to make significant and irreversible changes. But the article does also acknowledge there's a possibility Donald wins and changes his mind on all this stuff and chaos ensues again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

I mean, listening to Oliver Dowden (any relation to Amy?) you kind of get the feeling that his defence of attempting to ban the Armistice Day Palestine protest is based on his fear that politicians will be out and about, and possibly targets for some.

Nothing would be funnier watching Sunak flee down the road with his half mast trews flapping round his lower shins.

When a finger salute from Andrea Jenkyns just won't cut it...:P

It’s probably not. They’re just know the majority of people in the UK want them banned. In fact majority of people would accept a total ban on protesting, for any causes. British people love to ban things. 

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

It’s probably not. They’re just know the majority of people in the UK want them banned. In fact majority of people would accept a total ban on protesting, for any causes. British people love to ban things. 

You’re basing this on absolutely nothing, as usual. Maybe make some evidence-based points in future to avoid talking utter drivel. 

• Like 1

30p Leenoch has clearly made the acquaintance of one of those lefty lawyers he despises so much.

IMG_8457.thumb.jpeg.ccc48bfe30bf6cab80e4fa07d9ce9ae8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This must be one of the oddest articles ever. Starmer is miles ahead and majority of voters will be more angry  if Starmer calls for a ceasefire. There is zero chance anything causes him to resign over this.

Watched the Celebrity SAS final tonight: Matt Hancock made it to the end. During interrogation, the handlers were astonished at how convincingly he sold the cover story to his interrogators. Amazing the skills you pick up after a decade of lying every time a camera is put in front of you. He completed all the challenges, but was deemed not to have passed selection as the trainers didn't believe he was genuine enough to be part of a team (they hated his cocky attitude - he smirked his way through interrogation and treated the interrogators like shit). He was lumped in the same category as former glamour model Danielle Lloyd. Only Gareth Gates was deemed to have passed selection.

He can now return to serving the constituents he abandoned to do this. And I hope he never appears on my TV screen again, apart from when he's ripped apart by the Covid Inquiry next week.

Did i just hear that Sunak, who was fined for breaking the law during COVID and who stood behind a man also a law breaker who lied to Parliament about "let the bodies pile high" and on numerous other occasions call law abiding protesters' plans for a march "disrespectful"?

We don't need a sharp suited multi-millionaire talk this way, even less get a monarch to sit on a golden throne tell 300 quid a day peers and 80+k a year politicians about how in ten years he might bring our electricity bills down.

Disrespectful? Look in the fucking mirror.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

To be he is only reflecting what the majority of people are thinking. 

No. He. Is. Not.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Indeed 

Meanwhile the Home Secretary continues to rant off message. Tell me if I'm wrong here but...

Suella's already decided the party are toast at the next election, most of what's going on here is pandering to the same hardcore that elected Truss because ageing and fairly right wing types are all that's left in the dwindling Conservative ranks and they amount to the party electorate. Many of them share sympathies with Reform UK and the only way the Conservatives can hang onto those members (who value being members of a party and feeling influential) is to move in on the anti-immigrant, hard-line agenda. So, Suella imagines a future of safe leadership in as much as it'll be in opposition so she won't have to do that much and the continuing bashing of a Labour government over law and order and immigration failings will play well with what amounts to a power base of party members. With Priti Patel and a few others having blown such a chance she's well placed and - cynical as fuck I know, but... - to have a woman of colour fronting this is a good look for a party worried that it's known for espousing right wing, white, male values. 

So, in answer to the news question "has she gone too far?" I'm thinking she knows what she's doing and why.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67364745

_131321719_bravermanreuters.jpg.webp

• Like 2

I'm not really sure what to make of Security Risk Suella this day.

Is she arguing that the police should back off from policing right wing protests, or is she suggesting that the cops should ride their horses through Palestinian protesters batonning them until they bleed, a la early 80s miners' strike?

I had to laugh though at the police's "operational independence". Some of us remember Thatcher's personal militia, arresting gay men for holding hands, Hillsborough, aforesaid miners' strike etc.

Anyway, Security Risk Suella has the full confidence of Number 10. I've heard that so many times before, so I expect her to be booted to the back benches soon. 

I don't know why, but this popped into my head while hearing about all of this:

• Like 2

Number Ten disowns her remarks, if she's sacked that's likely igniting the leadership bid. Gove's already saying he and her are both "concerned" about public order if the march goes ahead. So, he's hedging his bets, then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67368785

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

I'm a bit confused. What happens in London on Armistice Day?  The main ceremony and parade takes place on Remembrance Sunday, not Armistice Day.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

I'm a bit confused. What happens in London on Armistice Day?  The main ceremony and parade takes place on Remembrance Sunday, not Armistice Day.

Western Front event: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/nov/08/organiser-of-armistice-day-event-at-cenotaph-hopes-pro-palestine-protest-can-go-ahead

At the Cenotaph, so couple of miles away from the protest.

Sunak being precious and relying on the fact that most UK citizens are too dumb to research.

*Possibility of zombie apocalypse now being considered by Home Office.

(*not true...yet).

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

*Possibility of zombie apocalypse now being considered by Home Office.

(*not true...yet).

My trust in Sunak is such that if he said there were no zombies I'd get survivalist tips from the engineer for safety...

• Haha 3