Magere Hein

Death In The Family

I'm sorry, OSP. I know it's a horribly devastating thing to do. You and your beloved pup are in my thoughts.

• Like 1

Ladies and gentleman, I return to you with the news that a good friend of mine who I've known for many years has died at the age of about 96. The only difference is it's not 96 years as you might know it or how I might know it. It's 96 years for a cat who lived for over 19 in ours.

Tonight I feel it's my responsibility to dedicate this post to somebody who was originally named "Tuffey" for a reason but I didn't call him that. I called him "King" and that labeling is no exaggeration. I've seen very few dominate their lives with as much capacity as he did.

In May 1989, my mother sat him on the edge of our kitchen table. The cat had a desire to be up higher then any of the other animals. Throughout his life he must have been involved with hundreds and hundreds of fights. In 1993, he wounded two stray cats so badly they had to be put to sleep. They were in his kingdom!

He was a smooth silk-gray color but had white legs and white paws. He also had a white face and was a larger cat (half persian) but never overweight. If you ever offered him a dish of food he wasn't interested in it would get knocked over and be all over the floor. He didn't have much patience for those who refused to cooperate.

Far down that crazy spiral of time we see many greats within sports and entertainment and sometimes even within the most obsure of competition. It was up until about June 29th (the day of his passing at home) where he sat at the end of the kitchen table looking as honarable as a cat could ever appear before you. His place on the table is also forbidden to the other cats they have "it was his privilege'

I compare him to a boxer named Jack Dempsey, who was so intimidating in his prime that Georges Carpentier is shown "defenceless" in this 1921 sketch. I consider that image a signifyer for how the sparks flied for him all his life. He may be gone, but his legacy will forever live. I just never saw him as old until very recently.

The greatest thing about that cat was that I saw something in him that I see in myself. I saw the desire, that fire. I saw the hunger he had for purpose and the emotion that makes you want to rise to the occasion every single time. He had a god in him '

• Sad 1

My 14 1/2 year old black Lab had to be put down yesterday. Just about the hardest thing I have ever done.

Sorry to hear about your Lab. I had to have my dog put to sleep due to cancer at 16 years old. It was a horrible experience, my sympathies are with you. Have you read the poem 'rainbow bridge'? It will probably make you cry at first but the words do give comfort.

You were right about the poem, it did make me cry (I was like a 3 year old with a grazed knee!) but it did help. The spooky thing is in about 3 weeks I will be able to see the Rainbow Bridge from my hotel. :blink:

It is with great sadness that I must pass along news of the death of one of my houseplants, Robert. I'd inherited him from a friend who moved to another country, but after three years of faithful watering and nurturing in the sunlight, he photosynthesised for the last time over the weekend. His death will not be in vain, for from his mulchy remains new life shall surely spring.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I feel your pain Cowboy Ronnie. Perhaps this will help.

• Confused 1

My 14 1/2 year old black Lab had to be put down yesterday. Just about the hardest thing I have ever done.

Sorry to hear about your Lab. I had to have my dog put to sleep due to cancer at 16 years old. It was a horrible experience, my sympathies are with you. Have you read the poem 'rainbow bridge'? It will probably make you cry at first but the words do give comfort.

You were right about the poem, it did make me cry (I was like a 3 year old with a grazed knee!) but it did help. The spooky thing is in about 3 weeks I will be able to see the Rainbow Bridge from my hotel. :blink:

The Rainbow Bridge Tokyo Bay? What a view to look forward to. You'll have to take some pictures to show us! Glad the poem helped. :(

It is with great sadness that I must pass along news of the death of one of my houseplants, Robert. I'd inherited him from a friend who moved to another country, but after three years of faithful watering and nurturing in the sunlight, he photosynthesised for the last time over the weekend. His death will not be in vain, for from his mulchy remains new life shall surely spring.

Before commiting Robert to the compost heap in the sky, are you 100% certain he has passed on? The fastest way to check if he can be saved is to check his stems. They should be pliable and firm and will have a green cast on the inside if he is still alive. If the stems are mushy or brittle check the roots for the same conditions. The roots should be pliable and firm also. If both stems and roots are brittle or mushy, I can confirm, Robert is indeed dead.

:blink:

So sez44, are you actually suggesting that Robert may have been murdered? I would say it's possible he forgot to water Robert, which would mean that Robert eventually starved to death.

But what's done is done and if Robert was ripped out of his dirt and thrown into a large plastic bag, I guess we all need to move on. How can we remember Robert? Could he be remembered by the way he sat and did absolutely nothing in the sunlight? Robert must have really been a class act.

So sez44, are you actually suggesting that Robert may have been murdered? I would say it's possible he forgot to water Robert, which would mean that Robert eventually starved to death.

But what's done is done and if Robert was ripped out of his dirt and thrown into a large plastic bag, I guess we all need to move on. How can we remember Robert? Could he be remembered by the way he sat and did absolutely nothing in the sunlight? Robert must have really been a class act.

Roberts plight should never be forgotton, I was thinking perhaps a media campaign and tribute concert would do the trick?

dead_plant.jpg

Robert Plant RIP

My mother in law died last Monday, funeral was yesterday. Still had all her marbles at 87. She'll be missed. :)

My mother in law died last Monday, funeral was yesterday. Still had all her marbles at 87. She'll be missed. :)

Sorry to hear of your loss. :angry:

Sympathies to you and your family :angry:

Sorry to hear of your loss. :angry:

Thanks Pretty in pink, also to you Lard Bazaar.

Sorry to hear that HCW, my condolences to you all :angry: .

Sad news Heaven can Wait,

My condolences.

My condolences to you and your family, HCW.

Sorry to hear that HCW, my condolences to you and your family.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother in law, HCW. I guess we all have a time to live and and a time to die. I'm sure that from where you stand you are coping with some form of sadness and my advice to you is " To celebrate her life" and you might find that with a change of mind you will see everything more clearly and you will find yourself more content with her being gone.

I've just lost one of my best friends. We must have got pissed together hundreds of times, moaning about work, the universe and everything. He was truly miserable and, as such, marvelous company.

He wasn't very old, just past 50, and had two young kids. It was all very sudden. I passed on a few words for his obit but I think he would have liked to get a mention here and if he's sort of "online" now I hope he's looking in.

If you are looking in old pal I have a message for you: "Why didn't you tell me? You would have been a unique pick." What a waste. I'll miss him.

• Sad 1

I've just lost one of my best friends. We must have got pissed together hundreds of times, moaning about work, the universe and everything. He was truly miserable and, as such, marvelous company.

From what you said, he sounded like a decent, genuine bloke. Sorry for your loss. <_<

My sympathies, Godot.

Indeed Godot, sympathies. Go well yourself.

Thanks for your comments. It's the funeral tomorrow. I expect I'll be having a few pints to help see him off.

Sad to hear that Godot...

• Like 1