Magere Hein

Death In The Family

My son sent his teddy bear adrift on his jacket which became a makeshift boat into the large font of holy water that they have.

Everyone apart from my wife and I saw the funny side of it

When I was twelvish I put ink in the font at the entrance of the local Catholic church. It took a while before members of the flock realised the blue stain on their foreheads wasn't a miracle. Apart from me nobody saw the funny side of it.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

Still catching up with things around here after a few days away. Lardy, my sympathies, I know it hurts; even when it is expected.

Go well.

Oh LB, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

Be kind to yourself.

Thanks everyone. The funeral was yesterday afternoon, a tough day, but the sun shone, the service was spot on, we got very drunk afterwards and I didn't kill her thieving, sorry 'grieving' widower. Yet ;)

I have found that, following a bereavement, it really does help to have some treats to look forward to. ;)

I have found that, following a bereavement, it really does help to have some treats to look forward to. ;)

The day I feel that evil bastard's nose disintegrate beneath my fist will be a treat to savour, believe me. Soon. Very soon.

Just had a telephone call saying that my Best Man at my Civil Partnership has lost his fight with cancer after a 8 month long battle. God speed Jez Styles and thanks for laughter and fun we had over the last 15 years. Love you mate.

• Sad 1

Just had a telephone call saying that my Best Man at my Civil Partnership has lost his fight with cancer after a 8 month long battle. God speed Jez Styles and thanks for laughter and fun we had over the last 15 years. Love you mate.

Very sorry to hear that :(

Guest philheybrookbay

Thanks LB, been a tough day today, until a text came through from mutual friend who reminded me of the time Jez managed a pub in Plymouth. Somehow he managed to run this pub with the council's full permission for 3 months without actually having a license to sell alcohol. How the hell he managed that giving excuses to the council and to the local Police we'll never know- but it was a mark of the man that he did and turned a dying business into a massive profit.

The only Best Man who on the day of my wedding managed to get me sorted out, only to discover with 45 minutes to go that he had no black shoes only trainers leading to a mad dash in full morning gear into the nearest shoe shop, only to complain at the price and walk out in a hissy fit. Only when he saw me in a state of panic did he go back in and buy the shoes and haggle for a reduction "you don't want the groom to be late do you Miss?".

I'll raise a glass or 3 tonight to a unique individual!

Thanks LB, been a tough day today, until a text came through from mutual friend who reminded me of the time Jez managed a pub in Plymouth. Somehow he managed to run this pub with the council's full permission for 3 months without actually having a license to sell alcohol. How the hell he managed that giving excuses to the council and to the local Police we'll never know- but it was a mark of the man that he did and turned a dying business into a massive profit.

The only Best Man who on the day of my wedding managed to get me sorted out, only to discover with 45 minutes to go that he had no black shoes only trainers leading to a mad dash in full morning gear into the nearest shoe shop, only to complain at the price and walk out in a hissy fit. Only when he saw me in a state of panic did he go back in and buy the shoes and haggle for a reduction "you don't want the groom to be late do you Miss?".

I'll raise a glass or 3 tonight to a unique individual!

I am so sorry for your loss Philhey, I am sure Jez will be sadly missed. What a great story and a wonderful memory, thanks for sharing it. Enjoy your few drinks tonight.

LG

Maybe it seems so weird but for more than ten months I can't help thinking about my grandmother (my dad's mother) who passed away in January 2011. She was very old (89 and in 2011 she would have been 90), had became frail in 2009, was in a "nurning home" since 2009. But you know I can't imagine her in a coffin. I will never forget her accent (Southern West French accent),her snoring (lol), her voice.. I'm so sad thinking about her. I've not overcome this mourning and I'm seeking help. Her death was a shock, I was passing tests when I learnt her death.

Was unsure of mentioning this, but the wife's gran passed away very suddenly last week of respiratory failure. Only 71, went in the hospital a bit unwell, was doing well, then gone. Taken the family by surprise. She was a lovely woman. Best remember her chasing off a bunch of hecklers at our wedding single handedly with one evil stare, and that was when she was getting frail too! She'll be missed.

Sorry to hear that msc, condolences to you and your wife and family. Even as adults it's horrible to think of your grandparents going. My three remaining grandparents are all 82, and are all rather ill, so I think this year may be another funeral-filled one for me too - even though I'm 38, I'm dreading my paternal grandparents popping off, we had such brilliant times with them when we were young children, my parents would often go away for long weekends and leave us with the olds and it was great. Grandparents are ace!

My grandfather's cousin - Eleanor - died on Tuesday morning aged 75. Although it seems like a fairly distant relative on paper, I regarded her to be more a part of my family than some of my own cousins. She could talk for Britain, and could always make you laugh.

She died due to lung cancer after a very short illness.

Sorry to hear of your loss, Windsor. It's been a bad time for these things lately.

Condolences to you both.

Best wishes from me too Windsor, it's about the attachment you make to people, not how closely related they are. Grandparent's cousin or not, it hurts when you lose people you care about.

Sorry to hear of your loss, Windsor.

Seconded.

regards,

Hein

Sorry to hear that Windsor, good wishes to you and your family.

Guest Sheepstroker

I'll never forget my mother's last words..." Fuck..a bus"

Sorry to hear of your loss, Windsor.

Seconded.

regards,

Hein

Thank you all for your kind words.

My uncle Joe has died. He was a lovely, jolly man with a booming Indian accent (Joe wasn't his real name), always, always laughing - not my real uncle, but very close family friends, and him and his wife would regularly look after my sister, brother and I when we were young so my parents could go out on the piss. Many happy memories of being with them, sadly had only seen him once in years, and that was at my sister's funeral - still had a little boohoo today. A lovely man.

Sorry to hear that Lardy, go well!

• Like 1