Sign in to follow this  
Bibliogryphon

Sir John Hurt

Absolutely superb actor. He will be sadly missed... :rip:

• Like 1

Oh fuck off, this is awful news.

I loved John Hurt the actor. One of my favourite actors of all time - such a wonderful voice.

For me, the quintessential Hurt will always be Hazel in Watership Down. That first, Kane from Alien second, perhaps, but definitely Hazel first. Any film was made better by his presence - no better summary can be given for any actor, really.

• Like 1

Deadpooling's a bit of sport, but if you lot have jinxed John Hurt by dropping him from your lists here, it's war!

:2guns::P

Thanks, guys!

Just kidding.

So many great roles though. Don't think anyones named Plague Dogs, 10 Rillington Place or The Shout, so I'll add them to the long list of great John Hurt performances.

• Like 2

I'm surprised that more people didn't have him in their lists.

Easily one of the greatest actors it has been our privilege to see.

• Like 1

A very sad loss.Still cant believe he never won an Oscar.First thing I saw him in was Alien.Classic scene.He was also magnificent of Quentin Crisp.Easily biggest death of the year.One of those deaths that makes everyone go "awww no".I feared the worst when I saw the thread had been updated and was relieved that it was just his birthday.Biggest miss of 2017 so far?

• Like 1

Very, very sad. A truly great actor with a great taste in choosing his "commercial" roles. He always delivered, even in the small and "funny" parts, like Spaceballs. My favourite scene of his is the original chestburster scene.

A very sad loss.Still cant believe he never won an Oscar.First thing I saw him in was Alien.Classic scene.He was also magnificent of Quentin Crisp.Easily biggest death of the year.One of those deaths that makes everyone go "awww no".I feared the worst when I saw the thread had been updated and was relieved that it was just his birthday.Biggest miss of 2017 so far?

The Alan Rickman paradox - the best performer in most of the things he starred in but somehow never got on board the Hollywood luvvie train enough to secure the big gong. Sad to see him go.

• Like 2

The Alan Rickman paradox - the best performer in most of the things he starred in but somehow never got on board the Hollywood luvvie train enough to secure the big gong. Sad to see him go.

I guess the committee actually ignores british actors, or they'd have to give them the Oscar every year... Peter O'Toole, Gary Oldman, Ian McKellen, Bendict Cumberbatch...

I guess the committee actually ignores british actors, or they'd have to give them the Oscar every year... Peter O'Toole, Gary Oldman, Ian McKellen, Bendict Cumberbatch...

The Oscars are a farce. I think it's almost a badge of honour not to get one.

• Like 1

Oh fuck off, this is awful news.

2017 is eyeing the bar set by 2016.

Apart from John Hurt and Mary Tyler Moore, who else have we had this year? Jaki Liebezeit?

And a few obvious picks who were old and frail anyway (Soares, Hollingworth type deaths).

I read an article which said that there was no "curse of 2016" - it's simply a fact that celebrities are ageing and the number of famous people known to the general public mushroomed starting from the 1960s onwards, in large part due to the increased popularity of television. That group of celebrities are the ones who now are dying off in large numbers.

To take the music world alone, there were many high profile deaths in the years leading up to 2016, for example Lou Reed in 2013, Jack Bruce in 2014, and so on. There was just a "statistical spike" in 2016.

• Like 1

John Hurt is 2017's Alan Rickman. And they were both great actors.

• Like 3

John Hurt is 2017's Alan Rickman. And they were both great actors.

That much I can agree with.

He died on January th 25th. They delayed the announcement for two days. He would have completely overshadowed Mary Tyler Moore's death the same day.

The Oscars are a farce. I think it's almost a badge of honour not to get one.

I think that's pretty unfair of you to say that when Oscars in no way claim to be an objective measurement of talent. Sure hurts performance in the elephant was good but come on he was against Robert de niro as jack le Motta.

R.I.P. Sir John Hurt

Edited by redrumours

This is just too weird to be true. The BBC remake 10 Rillington Place and screen it last December.

The author of Watership Down, Richard Adams dies in late December.

January 25, John Hurt dies.

And today Many clouds the horse that won the 2015, Grand National collapsed and died after winning a race at Cheltenham.

Who could have predicted that? No one. That's why it's a FUCKING COINCIDENCE FOOL.

• Like 2

The star of 1984 dies just as it starts coming true...

You might be right...

• Like 1

^

Paul,

Please,

Please,

Please,

Please,

Get the video embedding fixed. :angry:

• Like 3

This is just too weird to be true. The BBC remake 10 Rillington Place and screen it last December.

The author of Watership Down, Richard Adams dies in late December.

January 25, John Hurt dies.

And today Many clouds the horse that won the 2015, Grand National collapsed and died after winning a race at Cheltenham.

Who could have predicted that? No one. That's why it's a FUCKING COINCIDENCE FOOL.

I was going to ignore this,but......

1. I never said it could be predicted by anyone.

2. All I said was that it was that it was weird. i.e. coincidental

3. Now why don't you just waddle back to your nest or whatever Penguins have,you FUCKING BIRDBRAIN.

• Like 2