maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

18 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

She used to bank with us and she was always very pleasant. I used to feel a bit guilty that I'd never read any of her work.

13 minutes ago, Toast said:

I read Possession years ago. Don't remember much about ti.

I wasn't a fan of what I tried but in fairness I am not the right audience for long winded romance novels!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, msc said:

I wasn't a fan of what I tried but in fairness I am not the right audience for long winded romance novels!

To my embarrassment I only discovered that AS Byatt was a woman today!

• Like 1

Popular american Novelist John Nichols died at 83 years:

https://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_news/acclaimed-author-of-the-milagro-beanfield-war-john-nichols-dies/article_5bce1be4-8e0c-11ee-8c8b-e7337fbee002.html

He was best known for his New Mexico novels The Milagro Beanfield War, The Magic Journey and The Nirvana Blues. He also published such titles as The Sterile Cuckoo and The Wizard of Loneliness, both of which were adapted into films.

• Like 3

Greek author and diplomat Vassilis Vassilikos (Wikidead at 90

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gisooo said:

Greek author and diplomat Vassilis Vassilikos (Wikidead at 90

I wonder if he will get an Obit. So far all he has is Fox News and pre specalist websites. 

Lady Antonia Fraser was to appear at a talk at the Wallace Collection tonight, on the topic of Marie-Antoinette, who she has previously written about. However, the event has been cancelled due to 'sudden illness'. They haven't specified that she is the ill one, but she is now 91.

Her intended co-speaker is 59 year old Oxford academic Catriona Seth, who was tweeting this morning, so seems less likely to be the ill one.

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

Playwright for radio and theatre Oliver Emanuel reportedly dead: 

One of those stage 4 brain cancer sufferers who haven't made it out of 2023. RIP.

• Like 2

"so full of lovely"

:scratchhead:

:puke:

Wikipedia has K M Peyton (Kathleen Wendy Peyton) the M was for her husband Mike who helped with the plots. No source or QO as yet but said she died on 19th December 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Wikipedia has K M Peyton (Kathleen Wendy Peyton) the M was for her husband Mike who helped with the plots. No source or QO as yet but said she died on 19th December 

Surely true , but media are sleeping.

• Like 2

K M Peyton's Wiki entry has been edited to remove the date of Death. I think she is dead but hard evidence is lacking 20/20 +3 point is pending on a QO

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

K M Peyton's Wiki entry has been edited to remove the date of Death. I think she is dead but hard evidence is lacking 20/20 +3 point is pending on a QO

She is definitely dead. Two of the papers are currently writing obits for her.

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

She is definitely dead. Two of the papers are currently writing obits for her.

A DDP selection so if published in time hit 301.

On 09/01/2019 at 00:47, YoungWillz said:

Death Notice for Terence Wheeler, shortlisted for the Booker Prize for his debut novel The Conjunction in 1970: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thetimes-uk/obituary.aspx?n=terence-wheeler-terry&pid=191197659

I know this is well out of date, but good luck finding a copy of The Conjunction anywhere. It's been out of print pretty much since publication and is a little bit... dated... shall we say? I read it at the British Library.

Anyway, don't waste your time trying to track The Conjunction down. It's a bit poor.

• Like 1