maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

20 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

7 for me, but none from this millennium so far. 

Surprised that Doris Lessing doesn't feature anywhere.

One of the contributors was on Radio 4 saying that many books were sacrificed in bringing the list down to 70 and her particular choice The Golden Notebook was one of those that missed out

• Thanks 1

Romeo Rolando Hinojosa-Smith, an internationally recognized author, poet, and essayist who exploited his life in the Texas Rio Grande Valley to write a series of award-winning novels, has died, according to his family. He was 93 years old when he died.

Hinojosa was best known for his “Klail City Death Trip” series, which depicted life in fictional Belken County and Klail City.

Hinojosa-Smith received the Ivan Sandrof Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Book Critics Circle in 2013.

SC

• Like 1

My theme team joker Penelope Lively is the subject of This Cultural Life tonight on Radio 4. Doesn't look like she will deliver me points this year.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2022 at 10:33, Bibliogryphon said:

My theme team joker Penelope Lively is the subject of This Cultural Life tonight on Radio 4. Doesn't look like she will deliver me points this year.

You should have picked up on her surname.

• Like 1

A famous name but not one I've read. Quite a few authors haven't really lived up to the  "last a long time" part of the thread title lately. Letting the side down.

• Like 1

Katsumoto Saotome, a Japanese writer who gathered the accounts of survivors of the U.S. firebombing of Tokyo in World War II to raise awareness of the massive civilian deaths and the importance of peace, has died. He was 90.

One of his publishers, Iwanami Shoten, confirmed his death. He died on Tuesday of organ failure related to old age at a hospital in Saitama, north of Tokyo, NHK public television reported.

A native of Tokyo, Saotome was 12 when he narrowly survived the firebombing of the city on March 10, 1945.

SC

• Like 1

Facebook post reporting the death of Griselda El Tayib MBE (wiki), aged 97, a British writer and cultural anthropologist who fell in love with Sudanese culture, and settled there with her late husband, the academic Abdullah El Tayib (1921–2003).

grizelda_eltayeb.jpg.77a859431d6c19acfa461409671caa6b.jpg

• Like 2

Boris Pahor has finally gone hopefully heralding an era of clearing out of other Boris' that have survived longer than people expected

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Author and screenwriter Stephen S Thompson has died aged 56, a month after being diagnosed with cancer.

His drama Sitting in Limbo won a Bafta in 2020.

• Like 2

On 19/04/2022 at 16:15, Bibliogryphon said:

The BBC and Reading Charities have published a list of 70 titles for the Queen's Jubilee Read

The list will contain 10 books for each decade of the Queen's reign from authors across the Commonwealth (I have only read one book on the list)

Up to 1982 there are 10 surviving writers

George Lamming (b.1927)

J M G Le Clezio (b. 1940)

Ngugi wa Thiang'o (b.1938)

Ayi Kwei Armah (b.1939)

Bepsi Sidhwa (b.1938)

Alice Munro (b.1931)

Athol Fugard (b.1932)

Anita Desai (b.1937)

Salman Rushdie (b.1947)

Thomas Keneally (b.1935)

Some of these are already on the radar but others are not

Barbadian novelist George Lamming dead four days shy of his 95th:

https://www.jamaicaobserver.com/latest-news/barbadian-poet-george-lamming-dies-at-94/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Updating the earliest ten entries on the Queen's Jubilee read following the death of George Lamming we are now up to 1985

Ayi Kwei Armah (b.1939)

Bepsi Sidhwa (b.1938)

Alice Munro (b.1931)

Athol Fugard (b.1932)

Anita Desai (b.1937)

Salman Rushdie (b.1947)

Thomas Keneally (b.1935)

Margaret Atwood (b.1939)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Updating the earliest ten entries on the Queen's Jubilee read following the death of George Lamming we are now up to 1985

Ayi Kwei Armah (b.1939)

Bepsi Sidhwa (b.1938)

Alice Munro (b.1931)

Athol Fugard (b.1932)

Anita Desai (b.1937)

Salman Rushdie (b.1947)

Thomas Keneally (b.1935)

Margaret Atwood (b.1939)

Read 3 1/2 of those. Read a few Atwood books, not one of my favourites by any means though. Read Schindler when I was at school. Grim. Read a collection of Munro's work when Spade picked her in the DDP and I saw it in the library - none of it sticks in my mind after 10 or so years.

And I did try to read one of Rushdie's books. A right cure for insomnia. I'm amazed enough people ever got past the first paragraph to read anything worth putting a fatwa out for tbh.

• Like 1

American sci-fi/mystery author Barbara Paul reportedly dead: 

Wrote a Star Trek novel Three Minute Universe.

• Like 3

Not sure whether this should be here or in the Fringes thread but Timothy Cornwall (son of John Le Carre) has died suddenly. He had edited his father's letters which were due to be published later this tear

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

W Somerset Maugham Award Winners

1966      Julian Mitchell (b.1935)

Michael Frayn (b.1933)

1968      Paul Bailey (b.1937)

1970      Jane Gaskell (b.1941)

Piers Paul Read (b.1941)

1971      Richard Barber (b.1941)

Susan Hill (b.1941)

1972      Gillian Tindall (b.1938)

Douglas Dunn (b.1942)

1973      Peter Prince (b.1942)

Paul Starthern (b.1940)

Updated for the death of George Lamming

• Like 1

On 29/01/2021 at 09:40, I.R.Baboon said:

My newspaper had an interview with A.B. Yehoshua, the last remaining great Israeli writer of his generation after Amos Oz and Aharon Appelfeld died (i'm just quoting the article, i'm not very much into the Israeli literal landscape..), and it said he's tired because his cancer has returned. 

I had A.B. Yehoshua on my shortlist for ages because of this post, but in the end it didn't seem that bad. Chalk up another error for me then: Yehoshua dead at 85.

Already with a QO too. 

• Like 4

Not sure where to drop this obit, this is one of a few places it could go.

Joel Whitburn, who turned his fascination with the Billboard charts into a career cataloging the history of charted music that kept gatekeepers honest about the performance of hits, has died. He was 82.

He died at his home in Menomonee Falls, WI.

Whitburn published hundreds of books, including many in entries of series like “Top Pop Singles,” “Top 40 Hits,” “Top 40 Albums” and “Top 40 Country Hits,” helping the whole industry with reliable chart stats and records. His books were crucial to DJs, publicists and chart nerds.

SC

On 12/05/2021 at 10:53, Spade_Cooley said:

Susie Steiner unable to give a Skype/Zoom interview to mark her nomination for "Crime Novel of the Year", is instead represented by editor. They don't give a reason why Steiner isn't present, just that she "can't be here".

Susie Steiner update: 

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Susie Steiner update: 

36 DDP teams, incl 2 jokers waged on this pick - the current leader amongst them 

No pressure on the obit journalists, then - incidentally, since the DDP doesn't record her age, I'm fairly sure she died three days after her 51st birthday

• Like 2

Already 1,000 likes in two hours, might mean we get a QO today rather than waiting for The Guardian to sort their upload out midweek.

Is it possible for someone thought to be on death’s door to be a shocking death?  This is as close as it gets cuz I’m stunned after more recent news was no news (a constant holding pattern).  No downturn etc just ok then nothing for 6 weeks then dead.  I blame the media, her relatives, and the would-be researchers here in DL for not letting us know something bad was happening in the past 48 hours.  Where the hell is the ‘pray for Susie’ post?

SC

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Is it possible for someone thought to be on death’s door to be a shocking death?  This is as close as it gets cuz I’m stunned after more recent news was no news (a constant holding pattern).  No downturn etc just ok then nothing for 6 weeks then dead.  I blame the media, her relatives, and the would-be researchers here in DL for not letting us know something bad was happening in the past 48 hours.  Where the hell is the ‘pray for Susie’ post?

SC

She and her husband are pretty private from what I can gather.Her husband said on Twitter last year she was doing very badly so this was clearly a long drawn out decline.

• Like 1