maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

1 hour ago, alt obits guy said:

Ray Nelson, an American science fiction writer whose short story "Eight O'Clock in the Morning" was used as the basis of the 1988 cult classic film 'They Live' (Roddy Piper's contribution to the cinema world), has died. He was 91.

https://scifi.radio/2022/11/30/sf-writer-ray-nelson-passes-away/

I had the pleasure of speaking with Ray Nelson in 2018.  Our conversation focused on the process of writing and we continued our correspondance via smail mail as Ray stated, "No, I do not have an E-mail address.  Snail mail is plenty fast enough for me."

Looking over our correspondance it is worth saying he was a gifted artist too, and his caricatures are wonderful.

• Like 7

Donald Rumbelow, one of the UK's leading Ripperologists has stopped doing the Jack The Ripper walking tours due to poor health. He turned 82 earlier this year. 

• Like 1

I am quite surprised I couldn't find any mention of Dominique Lapierre, french author of the bestseller "City of Joy", anyway, he died today aged 91

Just now, Sideik said:

I am quite surprised I couldn't find any mention of Dominique Lapierre, french author of the bestseller "City of Joy", anyway, he died today aged 91

*yesterday

• Like 2

Chinese/Hong Kong novelist, writer and poet Xi Xi/Hsi Hsi/Sai Sai/Zhang Yan/Ellen/Cheung Yin dead at 85 from heart failure. Possibly mentioned and picked here somewhere before but "Xi Xi" is too short for the search feature.

19 minutes ago, arghton said:

Chinese/Hong Kong novelist, writer and poet Xi Xi/Hsi Hsi/Sai Sai/Zhang Yan/Ellen/Cheung Yin dead at 85 from heart failure. Possibly mentioned and picked here somewhere before but "Xi Xi" is too short for the search feature.

She's a death many of us were dreading. Not because we were all huge Xi Xi fans, but because this means we actually have to think about what X name to pick in the ABC Pool again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Anne Baker MBE, writer of historical biographies and fundraiser will be 109 next year, just saying.

James Bowen, author of the books about Streetcat Bob, which was made into a film few years ago. is not doing well. A friend of his recently took over posts on his FB page saying efforts were being made to get him into rehab but he is back posting now saying that he has nothing, can't afford food for himself or his pets never mind drugs.

• Like 2

Hanif Kureishi currently hospitalised in Rome after "sudden illness". Article is paywalled, so nothing specific about his conditions.

13 hours ago, drol said:

Hanif Kureishi currently hospitalised in Rome after "sudden illness". Article is paywalled, so nothing specific about his conditions.

In ICU, condition "serious".

On 15/07/2022 at 07:45, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11015271/EDEN-CONFIDENTIAL-Bitter-chapter-Fay-Weldons-26-year-marriage.html

British author and feminist Fay Weldon  now in a nursing home and can't talk according to this article about her recent divorce. 

Fay Weldon, British author, essayist and feminist, has died aged 91.

Obituary: BBC

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Fay Weldon has died.

Confirmed a DDP hit per Toast's publicly posted team. Good timing as she wasn't picked at all in 2022!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Fay Weldon has died.

An unused Deathrace sub this year, though doubtless a much used pick in larger pools, I expect DDP points will appear within a few days.

My first shadow list hit, thought she would be a popular pick this year.

25 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Confirmed a DDP hit per Toast's publicly posted team. Good timing as she wasn't picked at all in 2022!

She was my first sub, so came in for non-runner Pope Benedict.

Also got her in the Hare's Pool so a bit of a wasted pick there.

25 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

An unused Deathrace sub this year, though doubtless a much used pick in larger pools, I expect DDP points will appear within a few days.

Likewise, I thought she'd come off my subs bench to replace Pope Benedict, so doesn't it work like that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Likewise, I thought she'd come off my subs bench to replace Pope Benedict, so doesn't it work like that?

Benny got scored because he died (and got announced) after the submission deadline occurred 

4 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Benny got scored because he died (and got announced) after the submission deadline occurred 

Oh, yeah, I forgot it started on NYE.

39 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

And confirmed on Twitter that she died earlier today so not a late announcing 2022 death. 

Interesting that she wasn't picked in 2022, but was picked this year.

Did somebody spot the big banner on the front page of her website?

"Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I’ve been out of touch for a long time, for which, my apologies.

I have been hospitalised for much of the last year, first with a broken bone in my back and then with a stroke, therefore my silence. I am mostly recovered, encouraged by the thought of Andrew Marr, who had a stroke and is now back to normal. He has the advantage, of course, of comparative youthfulness.

In the meanwhile, I have left my husband and am divorcing him.

Considering everyone else’s troubles this year, my own are mere hiccoughs.

I am now safely with my family.

Best wishes to all,

Fay Weldon."

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Interesting that she wasn't picked in 2022, but was picked this year.

Did somebody spot the big banner on the front page of her website?

"Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I’ve been out of touch for a long time, for which, my apologies.

I have been hospitalised for much of the last year, first with a broken bone in my back and then with a stroke, therefore my silence. I am mostly recovered, encouraged by the thought of Andrew Marr, who had a stroke and is now back to normal. He has the advantage, of course, of comparative youthfulness.

In the meanwhile, I have left my husband and am divorcing him.

Considering everyone else’s troubles this year, my own are mere hiccoughs.

I am now safely with my family.

Best wishes to all,

Fay Weldon."

There was a bit about her being in a nursing home and fading fast a few months ago. I had her on Books DL prediction thing and my long list (but there was too many old names for my team tbh).

• Like 1