maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

32 minutes ago, msc said:

Rose Tremain interview in the Telegraph last week, about her cancer issues. Confirms she still wont have chemo as it would stop her work. The interview ends on a cliffhanger for deadpoolers:

1 minute ago, gcreptile said:

LOL, some people are actually campaigning for our attention.

However, pan can without chemo, still 2-5 years. Maybe it's the neuroendocrine version?

Wasn't there a DDP pick last year or so who was a well known author, Times Literary Supplement, blah blah who actually failed to obit eventually?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

LOL, some people are actually campaigning for our attention.

However, pan can without chemo, still 2-5 years. Maybe it's the neuroendocrine version?

Got the surgery but apparently without chemo it's a limited run use. Useful information going forward imo.

14 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Wasn't there a DDP pick last year or so who was a well known author, Times Literary Supplement, blah blah who actually failed to obit eventually?

I'm not at home, but I can't remember such a case. There was a Vanessa McFaye (or something like that) who obited months later.

I was wondering, if the previous list of the lost is stored anywhere?

• Like 2

@YoungWillz Cynthia Heimel in 2018?

• Like 1

Oh, I don't remember, big stushie anyway about being nailed on obit and didn't. Or maybe she did but it's the gcreptile dame.

I always think it's a bit crazy picking someone you've never heard of, I'll leave Tremain to those seeking points. :lol:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Oh, I don't remember, big stushie anyway about being nailed on obit and didn't. Or maybe she did but it's the gcreptile dame.

I always think it's a bit crazy picking someone you've never heard of, I'll leave Tremain to those seeking points. :lol:

Historical novelist (always mix her up with a romance writer, dunno which genre that insults more tbh) - not my cup of tea though. Sold like hot cakes back in the day though.

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

I always think it's a bit crazy picking someone you've never heard of

Same, I'm very in tune with sociolinguists and Slavic folk singers.

• Like 1

I’m sure she will Q/O if the Telegraph judge her well known to their readers to interview her. 

On 09/01/2020 at 02:11, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Hugely successful british novelist Wilbur Smith turns 87 today. 

:birthday:

Hugely successful Zambian born South African novelist Wilbur Smith, dead at 88: https://wilbursmithbooks.com/latest-news/legendary-novelist-wilbur-smith-passes-away-at-the-age-of-eighty-eight

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0810335/

DDP Pick.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

Roger Phillips, 89, a true giant on the fungi and foraging scene.

image.png.b9ee5132a29ad2216bd1eea64e3ed06e.png

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

image.png.b9ee5132a29ad2216bd1eea64e3ed06e.png

He looks like a fun gi.

Screen_Shot_2018-02-22_at_1_22.46_PM.jpg.a0f542a5f6ac2e27018f2f81a27364ed.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Noah Gordon (wiki), American novelist, dead at 95 according to his official website. Also being picked up by media here.

Best known for his Cole trilogy, including The Physician (1986).

He's picked in Shadow Lists this year and was thrown out as a possibility twice by @TomTomTelekom in the past.

I'd expect a QO.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Noah Gordon (wiki), American novelist, dead at 95 according to his official website. Also being picked up by media here.

Best known for his Cole trilogy, including The Physician (1986).

He's picked in Shadow Lists this year and was thrown out as a possibility twice by @TomTomTelekom in the past.

I'd expect a QO.

So Far France 24 and Yahoo Singapore  but no QO as far as I can find.

Telegraph Obit for Ian Curteis, pick for Bibliogryphon in Arghton's deadpool, dramatist and TV director who wrote for various dramas before striking out with such as The Falklands Play, Philby, Burgess and Maclean, and Churchill And The Generalshttps://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2021/11/25/ian-curteis-dramatist-whose-play-falklands-war-dropped-bbc-kind/

He was 86.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0193168/

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

On 18/11/2021 at 23:03, DevonDeathTrip said:

Telegraph obit. That's a huge obit for the Telegraph too. Quite a fascinating guy, and a rare modern day eccentric.

• Like 1

Dave Roberts, author who wrote a few books but whose fictionalised autobiographical work The Bromley Boys was turned into a British movie in 2018 that cast included Martine McCutcheon,  Alan Davies and Jamie Foreman, reported dead by his wife: 

Seemingly no credit for writing the book on IMDB. Probably no bad thing, given The Guardian's rasping criticism of the film: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jun/01/the-bromley-boys-review-70s-football-britcom-shoots-wide

• Like 2

When trying to compile another list of earliest award winners I was looking at Romantic novelists and came across the wikipedia entry for Katharine Gordon who wrote The Emerald Peacock and Peacock in Flight. Wikipedia gives her date of birth as 1916 but there is no date of death and no searches I have done for her have shown any.

Considering she lived most of her life in India I am not sure where to start looking to see if she is genuinely still alive

38 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

When trying to compile another list of earliest award winners I was looking at Romantic novelists and came across the wikipedia entry for Katharine Gordon who wrote The Emerald Peacock and Peacock in Flight. Wikipedia gives her date of birth as 1916 but there is no date of death and no searches I have done for her have shown any.

Considering she lived most of her life in India I am not sure where to start looking to see if she is genuinely still alive

I raised her in the Detective thread earlier this year. I did a lot of searching to try and get an answer on her. The last mention I can find of her anywhere is in an article for the Aberdeen Evening Express in the 1990s. 

Like many of the women romance novelists of her day, likely used a pseudonym as I can’t trace her in the residency records. As you correctly said, she spent a lot of time living elsewhere as well so also possible she died in a country with links to the UK that doesn’t have easily searchable records ie Canada, SA, NZ or India.

• Like 1

ROMANTIC NOVELLISTS AWARD FOR BEST NOVEL

Ten Earliest recipients who are not confirmed dead

1975 Jay Allerton (Frances Paige) (b.????)

1978  Catherine Macarthur 

1979  Katherine Gordon (b.1916)

1980 Joanna Trollope (b.1943)

1985 Rosie Thomas (Janey King) (b.1947)

1988 Audrey Howard (b.1929)

1989 Sarah Woodhouse (b.1950)

1991 Susan Kay (b.1952)

1993 Cynthia Harrod-Eagles (b.1948)

1994 Elizabeth Buchan (b.1948)

Only one solid obit name on there and considering how little information there is about the top three this may not be fertile pastures for Deadpooling

On 08/12/2021 at 13:08, Ulitzer95 said:

I raised her in the Detective thread earlier this year. I did a lot of searching to try and get an answer on her. The last mention I can find of her anywhere is in an article for the Aberdeen Evening Express in the 1990s. 

Like many of the women romance novelists of her day, likely used a pseudonym as I can’t trace her in the residency records. As you correctly said, she spent a lot of time living elsewhere as well so also possible she died in a country with links to the UK that doesn’t have easily searchable records ie Canada, SA, NZ or India.

Have you tried emailing her publisher?  Someone must know.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Have you tried emailing her publisher?  Someone must know.

That's not a bad plan!

Who's her publisher though? :P

20 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

That's not a bad plan!

Who's her publisher though? :P

Hodder & Stoughton but I did check their website and she was not listed on their author list but there were writers who were long dead listed there so I suspect she is Out of Print

I did copy them in on an enquiry on Twitter but got nothing back

• Thanks 1

On 28/11/2021 at 13:56, YoungWillz said:

Seemingly no credit for writing the book on IMDB. Probably no bad thing, given The Guardian's rasping criticism of the film :

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jun/01/the-bromley-boys-review-70s-football-britcom-shoots-wide

I vaguely imagined Martine McCutcheon would have played somebody's girlfriend, but she played the teenage lead character's mother.

• Like 1