maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

3 hours ago, SleepSerenity said:

RIP. I remember she was against fanfiction, and tried to stop people on the internet from writing fanfiction based on her novels and take down the ones that were already written. I wonder if people will start writing fanfics now that she passed away.

Probably not, her son Christopher Rice owns the rights and is an author in his own right (they even collaborated on a few novels). I think he holds similar beliefs to her.

Fair enough I suppose. If you put so much into something, maybe you come to feel strongly about people potentially bastardising it. "Fan fiction" can often stretch a long way. Didn't Fifty Shades have its roots in the fan fiction of Twilight? Twilight was bad enough, but Fifty Shades was a whole new level of shite (unless you're a 40-something year old randy housewife who isn't getting any, then it's the most fingersome fun you'll get all year). 

54 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Probably not, her son Christopher Rice owns the rights and is an author in his own right (they even collaborated on a few novels). I think he holds similar beliefs to her.

Fair enough I suppose. If you put so much into something, maybe you come to feel strongly about people potentially bastardising it. "Fan fiction" can often stretch a long way. Didn't Fifty Shades have its roots in the fan fiction of Twilight? Twilight was bad enough, but Fifty Shades was a whole new level of shite (unless you're a 40-something year old randy housewife who isn't getting any, then it's the most fingersome fun you'll get all year). 

Yeah, Fifty shades was originally a Twillight fanfic, but to me that trilogy is not more or less nasty than any random harlequin romance novel with semi-naked Fabio Lanzoni on the cover. Overused tropes, nothing new. It was annoying that it grew way more popular than those other books, though.

in a recent interviewBridge to Terabithia author Katherine Paterson still seems sharp and relatively healthy at 89. perhaps for future considerations rather than for 2022.

i also learned that she released a new book in October (the content of which seems a little too evangelical for my consideration, but I'm glad she's still releasing new work)

• Like 1

Anne Rice died less than a week ago and all i'm seeing in the fandom on Tumblr is relief they will no longer get sued for writing fanfiction. She really did a number to fanfic writers years ago.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 22:45, arghton said:

I'll try to make a list of the living ones on this list soon, lots of notable folks there getting on in years

Here:

Danielle Steel (1947-) 500-800M, General fiction & romance

J. K. Rowling (1965-) 500M, Harry Potter

Eiichiro Oda (1975-) 490M, Manga, One Piece

Akira Toriyama (1955-2024) 298-438M, Manga, Dragon Ball

Dean Koontz (1945-) 325-400M, Horror, thriller, science fiction, fantasy

Nora Roberts (1950-) 145-400M, Romance

R. L. Stine (1943-) 100-400M, Goosebumps & Fear Street

Stephen King (1947-) 300-350M, Horror, science fiction, fantasy, It, The Shining, Pet Semetary

Paulo Coelho (1947-) 225-350M, The Alchemist

Jirō Akagawa (1948-) 300-330M, Mystery

Jeffrey Archer (1940-) 250-330M, Saga, thriller, short stories, Kane and Abel, The Clifton Chronicles

James Patterson (1947-) 150-275M, Thriller, Alex Cross, Maximum Ride

John Grisham (1955-) 100-250M, Legal thriller

Masashi Kishimoto (1974-) 250M, Manga, Naruto

Gosho Ayoma (1963-) 250M, Manga, Detective Conan

Kyotaro Nishimura (1930-2022) 200M or under, Mystery

Mitsuru Adachi (1951-) 200M, Manga, Touch, H2, Slow Step, Miyuki, Cross Game

Rumiko Takahashi (1957-) 200M, Manga, Urusei Yatsura, Ranma ½, Inuyasha, Maison Ikkoku, Rin-ne

Dan Brown (1964-) 200M, Thriller, Robert Langdon

Ann M. Martin (1955-) 172-182M, The Baby-sitters Club

Koyoharu Gotouge (1989-) 150M, Manga, Demon Slayer

Ken Follett (1949-) 90-150M, Spy thriller, historical thriller

Debbie Macomber (1948-) 60-140M, Romance

Naoki Urasawa (1960-) 128M or under, Manga

E. L. James (1963-) 100-125M, Fifty Shades of Gray

Tite Kubo (1977-) 120M, Manga, Bleach

Stephanie Meyer (1973-) 100-116M, Romance, Twilight Saga, The Host

David Baldacci (1960-) 110M or under, Thriller

Nicholas Sparks (1965-) 90-105M, Romance

Hirohiko Araki (1960-) 100M, Manga, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Andrew Neiderman (1940-) 100M, V. C. Andrews ghost writer, The Devil's Advocate

Robin Cook (1940-) 100M, Medical thriller, Coma

Seiichi Morimura (1933-2023) 100M or under, Mystery

Patricia Cornwell (1956-) 100M or under, Thriller

Hajime Isayama (1986-) 100M, Manga, Attack on Titan

Not included because no exact figures have been found, but there are indications they have 100M+ copies of their work in print:

Jack Higgins (1929-2022) 150M?, Thriller, espionage, mystery, The Eagle Has Landed

Rick Riordan (1964-) Unknown, Fantasy, Percy Jackson & the Olympians

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, arghton said:

R. L. Stine (1943-) 100-400M, Goosebumps & Fear Street

Proper legend!

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Joan Didion, American author dead at 87

Damn shame . "I have already lost touch with a couple of people I used to be." RIP. 

• Like 1

Popular crime fiction novelist (and attorney) Andrew Vachss has died aged 79 according to his website and friends.

Beyond his books, which are regular finds in the library, he did a lot of good for improving US child care in the legal system. Also, his mugshot (aided by injuries trying to stop the food blockage to Biafra in the 60s!) was one of the more stand out among writers.

Andrew Vachss (Creator) - TV Tropes

• Like 3

Because Milan Kundera is on the main list this year and the advent of the new French rapid fire game I have compiled a list of the ten earliest winners of the Prix Mondial Cino Del Duca one of the richest literary prizes in Europe

Two recipients are older than Kundera

1992 - Ismail Kadare (b.1936)

1996 - Alain Carpentier (b.1933)

1998 - Wang Zhenyi (b.1924)

2001 - Yvon Gattaz (b.1925)

2003 - Nicole le Douarin (b.1930)

2006 - Jean Clair (Gerard Regnier) (b. 1940)

2007 - Mona Ozzouf (b.1931)

2008 - Mario Vargas Llosa (b.1936)

2009 Milan Kundera (b.1929)

2010 Patrick Modiano (b.1945)

• Like 3

Ron Goulart has died aged 89. Mystery and sci-fi author, including ghostwriting TekWar for William Shatner and working on some Marvel comics.

It was his 89th birthday yesterday so a bit of a shit present.

• Like 3

Purple House Press announcing via Facebook the death of Roger Bradfield (wiki), American children's writer, illustrator and cartoonist, aged 97–98.

His illustrations look very similar to that of Sir Quentin Blake if you ask me.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Purple House Press announcing via Facebook the death of Roger Bradfield (wiki), American children's writer, illustrator and cartoonist, aged 97–98.

His illustrations look very similar to that of Sir Quentin Blake if you ask me.

From a 10 second glance at Google he seems inspired heavily by Dr Zeuss?

As an aside, Blake admits inspiration as a child by AE Jackson but even then there's a big jump from those to the familiar Blake characters.

8269206404effc640d5481b6483d9d9c.jpg

20 minutes ago, msc said:

As an aside, Blake admits inspiration as a child by AE Jackson but even then there's a big jump from those to the familiar Blake characters.

271896026_4709165605799856_412.png.072cc2efaec0e4859001646df1882854.png

This one definitely screams Quentin Blake to me.

• Like 3

How far standards have fallen.

1 hour ago, msc said:

Two cat cartoons | Arnold Zwicky's Blog

• Haha 3

Likely Italy's most famous living writer, or surely in the top five, Alessandro Baricco (wiki) is suffering from leukemia and will undergo bone marrow transplant in the next few days.

• Like 3

On 04/11/2021 at 07:33, maryportfuncity said:

Currently ploughing through Camelot and the Vision of Albion by Geoffrey Ashe (1971). Which set me off Googling a few items. One thing I didn't expect to find is that the veteran and highly obitable author himself is still around, 98 years old. 

Geoffrey Ashe MBE (wiki) dead at 98 according to this tweet:

Guaranteed a QO. Sadly not picked in the DDP though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Geoffrey Ashe MBE (wiki) dead at 98 according to this tweet:

Guaranteed a QO. Sadly not picked in the DDP though.

Aw man, not on any team I have in competition either. I'm with you, obit nailed on in due course, surely.

9 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aw man, not on any team I have in competition either. I'm with you, obit nailed on in due course, surely.

Vision of Albion is a classic.  I love how the work begins with some fairly stuffy history and archaeology, before Ashe launches into a quite unexpected, but beautifully written meditation on Gods, mortality and the universal dream.

:smoking-smiley:

On 01/02/2022 at 07:31, DevonDeathTrip said:

Vision of Albion is a classic.  I love how the work begins with some fairly stuffy history and archaeology, before Ashe launches into a quite unexpected, but beautifully written meditation on Gods, mortality and the universal dream.

:smoking-smiley:

Aye, we won't see his like again, or summat!

Author and motivational speaker Bob Proctor, who, along with Sandy Gallagher, co-founded the Proctor Gallagher Institute, died at 87 years.

One of his main goals is to improve people's lives by elevating the quality of their thoughts.  He wrote the 1984 best-selling book You Were Born Rich.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/4615302/who-was-bob-proctor-and-how-did-he-die/

• Like 4

Ashley Bryan, author of children's books that focus on the African-American experience, died at 98 years:

https://ashleybryancenter.org/

He received the The Laura Ingalls Award in 2009 and is most famous for works such as Dancing Granny and Beautiful Blackbird.

• Like 3