maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

Joan Lingard, pick in the Hare's Pool?, Scottish author famous for the Kevin and Sadie series, reported dead: https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/2022/07/14/joan-lingard-author-of-kevin-and-sadie-series-dies-aged-90/

List of the Missed @Death Impends, link to follow.

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2018/celebs_L.html#lingarj018

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Joan Lingard, pick in the Hare's Pool?, Scottish author famous for the Kevin and Sadie series, reported dead: https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/2022/07/14/joan-lingard-author-of-kevin-and-sadie-series-dies-aged-90/

List of the Missed @Death Impends, link to follow.

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2018/celebs_L.html#lingarj018

Yes she was on my Hare's Pool Team. She wrote the books on which the TV Series Maggie was based on

• Like 1

Knew her family once, was too shy to meet her though, was a wean. Loved her books as a kid. RIP

• Like 1

Ukrainian-born Brazilian writer and translator Vira Vovk (Wikidead at 96

Віра Вовк — Вікіпедія 

• Like 1

Alan Grant, comic book writer, 2000AD, DC Comics, et al has died according to his wife on social media, aged 73, after a long illness.

• Like 3

Stuart Woods, an author of more than 90 novels, many featuring the character of lawyer-investigator Stone Barrington, has died. He was 84.

Woods passed away in his sleep on Friday, July 22, at his home in Litchfield County, Connecticut, his publicist said Wednesday.

• Like 4

Lynne Reid Banks is lasting a long time, 93 today - obitable as fuck as and when

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8cykfN03G4L7MwoKdnP5

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Lynne Reid Banks is lasting a long time, 93 today - obitable as fuck as and when

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8cykfN03G4L7MwoKdnP5

She is my Wildcard pick for the game I run  with former colleagues. Even if you do not recognise the name her work includes The L-shaped Room and The Indian in the Cupboard 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

David McCullough, American author and historian, has died aged 89.

Good writer, which I say even though I haven't finished his John Adams book in months. 

On 21/12/2019 at 12:44, gcreptile said:

I thought he had his own thread?

Anyway, Raymond Briggs "frail but chipper" in this Guardian portrait as he is about to publish what might be his final book "Time for lights out":

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/dec/21/raymond-briggs-interview-time-for-lights-out

Raymond Briggs dead according to the BBC Breakfast.

Edit: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/08/10/snowman-author-raymond-briggs-dies-aged-88/

• Like 6
  • Sad 7

20 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

RIP  - what a brilliant creation the snowman was

But Fungus the Bogeyman - that's the best IMHO

• Like 2

RIP Raymond Briggs. 

Cor, everyone is dying now. Newton-John, Tomko, Scully, Nichols, Cribbins, Lovelock, Storch, Morales-Bermudez, Echverria, Abe, dos Santos, Trump, Scalfari. 

NOT DAVID JASON PLEASE NO!!! 

7 minutes ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

RIP Raymond Briggs. 

Cor, everyone is dying now. Newton-John, Tomko, Scully, Nichols, Cribbins, Lovelock, Storch, Morales-Bermudez, Echverria, Abe, dos Santos, Trump, Scalfari

Ian, is that you?

I've never read, or indeed watched, any Raymond Briggs (what I have seen/heard of (the animated film)  The Snowman, I find as corny as he did), but it would be impossible not to have been aware of him. I like this, from a 2012 Radio Times interview, on The Snowman, life and death. (as quoted in The Guardian).

“I create what seems natural and inevitable. The snowman melts, my parents died, animals die, flowers die. Everything does. There’s nothing particularly gloomy about it. It’s a fact of life.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

RIP Raymond Briggs. 

Cor, everyone is dying now. Newton-John, Tomko, Scully, Nichols, Cribbins, Lovelock, Storch, Morales-Bermudez, Echverria, Abe, dos Santos, Trump, Scalfari. 

For a list of apparently vulnerable but basically healthy people, you could always consult the survivors on my HPDP team, a very disappointing outfit who'll doubtless die en masse on 1 Jan

1 hour ago, time said:

ve never read, or indeed watched, any Raymond Briggs (what I have seen/heard of (the animated film)  The Snowman, I find as corny as he did), but it would be impossible not to have been aware of him. I like this, from a 2012 Radio Times interview, on The Snowman, life and death. (as quoted in The Guardian).

“I create what seems natural and inevitable. The snowman melts, my parents died, animals die, flowers die. Everything does. There’s nothing particularly gloomy about it. It’s a fact of life.”

Haven't you seen "When the Wind Blows"?  That's a nice cheerful little tale, quite timely again now. :(  David Bowie did the theme song.

Another Briggs quote:

"I don't usually think about whether a book is for children or adults.  After a child has learned to read fluently, then the whole idea of categorising them seems a bit daft."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Haven't you seen "When the Wind Blows"?  That's a nice cheerful little tale, quite timely again now. :(  David Bowie did the theme song.

Another Briggs quote:

"I don't usually think about whether a book is for children or adults.  After a child has learned to read fluently, then the whole idea of categorising them seems a bit daft."

No, nothing.

When the Wind Blows is grimmer than Threads, even.

• Like 1

Someone needs to keep an eye on Julie Andrews.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Two hits for my list within a couple of days – grand total of two in 2022.

• Like 1

The Horse Whisperer author Nicholas Evans dead at 72.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1