themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2016

As the Reaper himself has noted in the past, the old supply a constant stream of success. Most winners of the DDP have had some old person count as one of their hits (even if they had discovered rare news that Claudio Abbado was iller than expected). They're just hard to predict for DDP psephology and swings, as they could go at any time. Nancy is a case in point!

Not just entertainment...

:D

"And that's a huge swing to the Nancy Reagan believers in the 2016 DDP. What does it mean?"

"She's dead, Jim..."

I actually had a rather bizarre dream a few weeks ago of David Dimbleby presenting the Drop 40 on New Years Eve as though it were an election. Amusing and disturbing.

"I hear Jeremy Paxman is with Mrs Thatcher now..."

"Mrs Thatcher, you've dropped off the Drop 40 this year, of course..."

"The voters have spoken, the bastards."

"Yes, but, you've already gone."

"Bastards."

That's my train of thought on this now. :lol:

Would rather have a bit of showbiz about it, Saturday night ITV with Paddy McGuinness seems like the obvious hosting choice.

• Like 1

Would rather have a bit of showbiz about it, Saturday night ITV with Paddy McGuinness seems like the obvious hosting choice.

Or one of those so bad they're good Channel 5 countdowns.

Latest update...

• Like 3

Top work, TMIB!

I've smashed my previous best points total, and am now one more death away from a new personal best number of hits in a year. Long time to go before I'm comfortable of declaring a personal best finishing spot though. With the way this year is going, 72 points might not even be worth a top 40 spot in the end.

Hmmm, I like this. The plastic bimbo's replaced by the drop 40, and the brain dead Adonis replaced by Mr G Reaper himself. "Let the Scythe...meet the has been "

It can't be often that you get your joker hit, yet plummet down the table ... :lol:

It's been a strange week

Top work as always, did notice however - no mention of Plowright being Living End's 100th?

Latest update...

Re George Kennedy - Dragnet. I think you mean Cool Hand Luke.

With 2013 mentioned a few times, I had a glance at how the table looked on this day in 2013:

1. Stardust 75
  2. Octopus of Odstock 69
  3. Thomas Jefferson Survives 65
  4. The Living End 55
  5. Going Underground 54
  6. Crossing the Styx 51
  7. Wormer! 49
  8. Heading Nowhere 46
  9. Very Ill Turned Very Dead 42
  10. Master Mind 40
  11. Stab in the Dark 40
  12. Eternity Tours 40

With DQSP (the champions) down on 22 points. So there's hope for A Pelican in the Wilderness yet!

A most excellent update TMIB!

I'll have to bask in the glory of 'once being in 3rd place in March in a DDP' lol looks like the Spring swoon has begun. Can I hold on to a top 50?

Quick note: I still see two top 20 teams with Craig Strickland listed. Is that for posterity? I can't tell if points have been awarded or not, though I'm guessing the latter.

Also wanted to give kudos for the updated bios on my theme teams. Didn't know you'd use my bios, will have to make em top notch next time!

One last comment: I absolutely LOVE the concept of the Freaks & Geeks team (btw, I've used that name for fantasy football teams for years, and it's easily one of the top 10 American TV shows ever); HOWEVER, how the HELL does the owner not have the Gaylon brothers (world's oldest ever Siamese twins, and both on my Shadow List--see signature below) is a miscarriage of justice! An abhorrent oversight!

SirC

I'm still on zero for three teams and still not last on my own! Darn!

Anyway, Round Up #8

Ross Hannaford: http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2389&p=257575

Daily Mail Obit: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3481649/Daddy-Cool-guitarist-Ross-Hannaford-dies-cancer-65.html

Michael White: http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8350&p=257735 (Guardian Obit In Link)

I now have the highest placed team whose joker is still alive.

A most excellent update TMIB!

I'll have to bask in the glory of 'once being in 3rd place in March in a DDP' lol looks like the Spring swoon has begun. Can I hold on to a top 50?

Quick note: I still see two top 20 teams with Craig Strickland listed. Is that for posterity? I can't tell if points have been awarded or not, though I'm guessing the latter.

Also wanted to give kudos for the updated bios on my theme teams. Didn't know you'd use my bios, will have to make em top notch next time!

One last comment: I absolutely LOVE the concept of the Freaks & Geeks team (btw, I've used that name for fantasy football teams for years, and it's easily one of the top 10 American TV shows ever); HOWEVER, how the HELL does the owner not have the Gaylon brothers (world's oldest ever Siamese twins, and both on my Shadow List--see signature below) is a miscarriage of justice! An abhorrent oversight!

SirC

They have the Schappells who have the distinction of one of the twins being transgender. Perhaps they though two sets of conjoined twins was a bit much.

Given precedent, you should be safe for top 50. If some of the really old guys start cancelling their appointments, even more so.

As for Strickland, I believe I've found a DDP precedent. In December 2012, horse racer Owen Brennan disappeared. On the 10th January, after three weeks missing, he was found in the River Derwent. He was counted by TMIB as a 2013 death, even though time of death was never properly established, and Occam's Razor suggests there was a fairly obvious reason a near eighty year old with dementia couldn't be found before Christmas. Given we'll never be official on Strickland's date of death (though we all have suspicions), I'd assume under the Brennan principle, the points stay unless proven 100% wrong.

Fossett didn't count, but that was under Octopus of Odstock running the DDP, and also because someone being found dead in a plane crash does sort of narrow the potentiality for having survived four months afterwards in the middle of nowhere!

Anyway, Round Up #8

Ross Hannaford: http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2389&p=257575

Awaiting Obit.

Mail obit, as mentioned in the other thread

I can't believe he got one.

While I'm replying, something which has been on my mind, TMIB. The 2009 section refers to "Matthew, tonight i'm going to be badly-torn boy" not coming back to defend his title in 2010. However, he did. He finished 6th. I'd assume this was your predecessor's work, but just thought I'd point it out.

• Like 1

Latest update...

Congrats on getting it out so quickly.

Also, I'm 23rd, has to be an all-time highest placing for Kervorkian Clinic.

I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Also: It's good to see shameless start falling down the leaderboard, even if that's slighty tainted by the leader having a similarly low bar pick amongst their team.

I don't, but I've lost three and my very ill joker still lives - though how much Glen Campbell knows about life, let alone being my joker, is debateable.

While I'm replying, something which has been on my mind, TMIB. The 2009 section refers to "Matthew, tonight i'm going to be badly-torn boy" not coming back to defend his title in 2010. However, he did. He finished 6th. I'd assume this was your predecessor's work, but just thought I'd point it out.

During one of the quiet patches of the year, presumably over the summer when people stop dying for a few weeks, we could have an pedants' amnesty for errors on the DDP site without seeming like ungrateful bastards. For instance, the basketball player's name is Dwyane Wade, not Dwayne.

During one of the quiet patches of the year, presumably over the summer when people stop dying for a few weeks, we could have an a pedants' amnesty for errors on the DDP site without seeming like ungrateful bastards. For instance, the basketball player's name is Dwyane Wade, not Dwayne.

FTFY :)

Latest update...

Re George Kennedy - Dragnet. I think you mean Cool Hand Luke.

No that's actually the name of his character in Cool Hand Luke, I've just forgotten to name the film!

As with mentioning TLE's 100th hit, I think I'll do a second draft of the index page. This is what happens when you commit yourself to a deadline... :smileyd:

Thank you TMIB for all the hard work that you do.

Joint 50th. Well I can look at it in 2 ways.

1. Oh well that's what I get for not bothering to submit a better researched team.

or...

2. Joint 50th! Woot! (as the kids these days say)

During one of the quiet patches of the year, presumably over the summer when people stop dying for a few weeks, we could have an pedants' amnesty for errors on the DDP site without seeming like ungrateful bastards. For instance, the basketball player's name is Dwyane Wade, not Dwayne.

Definitely. The database, descriptions, what so-and-so is doing at the mo are overwhelmingly due for an overhaul but when you're flying by the seat of yer pants, you don't don't have the time to do the real work.

I'm also (places tin hat on) contemplating discontinuing adding pictures to celebs and only having the ones who have died in the year of competition. First, retrospectively, then ongoing. 800-1000 pics a year? That's just too much. I've updated to 2004 (although I haven't uploaded that year yet) and I intend to continue through the years to the latest one...

It's also an issue of space. Most pics are cut and compressed to somewhere between 4-9kb each celeb. That soon builds up year after year...

Anyway, Round Up #8

Awaiting Obit.

Mail obit, as mentioned in the other thread

I can't believe he got one.

I guess one could say that he had about as much fame as Michel Delpech, but that Australia is simply more obitworthy for the english press. I was counting on a Guardian obit though, but I take what I can get.

Not anymore! Right now, it's "The "B"-Team. I have the riskier (but more valuable) joker though.

I'm not sure If I'm misunderstanding how this works as it's my first year but I can't find myself anywhere on that scoreboard despite having two hits Nancy Reagan and Tony Warren??

I'm not sure If I'm misunderstanding how this works as it's my first year but I can't find myself anywhere on that scoreboard despite having two hits Nancy Reagan and Tony Warren??

What's your team name?