themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2016

Gordon Ross, Right to die campaigner dies at 67. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-35301619 I assume daas means this chap, however, still awaiting a QO if so under the new rules.

Does this count?

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/scotland/article4665030.ece

Yes it does. Although I had no idea the Times had a Scottish section!

Now someone will look at this and wonder why the BBC national/regional pages are excluded. The BBC is still the prime obit maker, by virtue of the ground it covers. But part of the obit rule shake up was to shift the focus back onto the the national press. What they put on their pages which qualifies as a hit is their prerogative, whether it's Scottish right-do-die campaigners or minor Hollywood actors.

It's not perfect but theses are the rules for now and this obit stands as a decent road test of the new rules...

PM me if you want to contribute to the bios (don't worry, I've cleared my message board!)

To second what those above have said, I'm happy to offer bio writing services :)

Just need Morbidkid to offer now. :evil2:

Cunt ray myuzik sinker Joy Freak has dyed at the age of 40 from can, sir.

Managing to sneak in a diss about Deathray on the ddp website WOULD be brilliant though...

• Like 2

My first hit of the year - Celine Dion's husband. His heart didn't go on.

My first hit of the year - Celine Dion's husband. His heart didn't go on.

Same here! Plus being my Joker! Nice start for my theme team (which made the third place last year, btw!!! ).

finally an obit for Michel Delpech, though just a mention inside Alan Rickman obit, does this qualify ?

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jan/15/when-alan-rickman-was-a-star-at-the-bar

No!

It had better not. What next, a late December article 'People we lost in (insert year)' oh look there's his/her name!!! Gimmee my points!

SC

finally an obit for Michel Delpech, though just a mention inside Alan Rickman obit, does this qualify ?

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jan/15/when-alan-rickman-was-a-star-at-the-bar

Hmm... I guess the relevant rule is this one:

"Obituary" simply means an article which mentions the fact that the person has died. It doesn't have to be the conventional biographical write-up.

Although I picked Delpech myself, I think it doesn't count, because it's not an article but a letter. It makes the absence of an official obituary even stranger though. Let's see if there's going to be a narrative this year à la "69 is the new 27" Some article will mention it and have a list with Delpech on it. Luckily, it's only January. But it could be that one needs a bit of patience here.

No!

It had better not. What next, a late December article 'People we lost in (insert year)' oh look there's his/her name!!! Gimmee my points!

SC

Yes, that would count according to the rules.

No!

SC

Yes, that would count according to the rules.

And so it should.

A letter, on the other hand, is a bit dodgy. I can see deadpool contestants everywhere putting metaphorical pen to paper. Of course, there's no guarantee one's letter would get published.

I think, technically, under the current rules of the DDP this does count as an obituary, even if it's not within the strict spirit of things. I assume Delpech will get his Guardian/Telegraph obit next week though, so it's not a problem. He may even have had a Times one if anyone wants to sneak behind the paywall.

No Times obit so far as I can see, been checking daily.

Delpech will get hid obit, but for the moment I'll pass on this as it has been pointed out, it's a brief letter, not an article written by a journalist. That his name has been mentioned suggests that one will be probably be picked up.

Right, some news...

The database is complete, the only issue is once I get the deaths in and generate the pages, I'll see where there's any problems (the dreaded BOF!)

I shall make TWO updates, one tonight, one on Monday (and thus make a subtle tribute to the great man Bowie, who I can confirm was a miss). The first will give the opening hits dated until January 9th and of course publish the teams. The second will publish the Drop 40 and the Theme Team League standings.

Now, can anyone help me by listing the possible (an in most cases definite hits) hits that we have had so far?

There has been so many deaths in the first two weeks, I've found it difficult to keep track of them all. Some of course will be misses. Some not even picked. Yes there's wikipedia to help me, but that doesn't include every one that's a hit.

So, fire away...

• Like 3

Hassan Asif

Pat Harrington Jr

Rene Angelil

Dan Haggerty

Are the hits from my side so far. Andrew Smith is a hit for those who risked him, and Living End has some right-to-die case called Aden or something.

By the way. Well done everyone whose had a harvest in the opening two weeks. Absolutely sterling deadpooling. This could be the best batch yet, as Captain Beefheart once said...

Pierre Boulez

and cancer mums Kelly Morris and Sarah Jones for my theme team.

I haven't yet received a confirmation email, could be the time pressure you're under. But since I added an internet link to each of my cancer celebrities (because they are complete no-names and indistinguishable from a thousand other people except for their cancer), except for the more prominent ones like Kate Granger, it could be that my mail might have fallen into your spam folder. I guess there were about 16-17 internet links in that email. I have the confirmation that my email got sent though (on the 30th), and I've listed my three teams in this thread, albeit in 2016. Plus I posted the links to my cancer mum death notifications in this thread.

Possibly the sister of the shah, Pahlavi something. She had been picked before.

Aden Hailu, DDTs delightfully shameless pick.

Edit: Armando (?) or Alfredo (?) "Chocolate" Armenteros, possible unique hit for Death Impends.

Editedit: Alfredo it is. Got a daily mail obit.

Editeditedit: I assume Alan Rickman was a hit for a Harry Potter theme team?

Conrad Phillips - got a Guardian Obit.

Gordon Ross - you've indicated accepting the Times obit in this thread.

Edit: Ruth Leuwerik - no obit as yet.

Maria Teresa de Filippis is a possible hit, who knows?

Others - I'll review when the lists are up. If I spot a dead'un. I'll let you know.

The Cuban chap Death Impends took a risk for, Mr Chocolate, has his Daily Mail obit here.

Also, child murderer Robert Black was on a team in 2012, might be for the list of the missed unless someone took a punt this year.