RadGuy

Ideas And Possibilities For 2017

301A5ECA00000578-0-image-a-15_1452635603

Is that Charlie Sheen interviewing Charlie Sheen?

Either that or it's actor Tony Gardner who plays the Dad in the late 1990s CITV kids show 'My Parents Are Aliens'.

My friend went to school with him #truefact

i was reading that Kathy Bates had cancer twice and she said it runs in the family, judging by my family statistics, she won't last that long if she gets a third one and i think we'll know about it, at least she said so....

Jane Fonda has apologized several times in more recent years for allowing herself to be used for propaganda purposes. by the North Vietnam, Assassin. Regardless of one's feelings about that conflict, it was an incredible case of poor judgement on her part - her, and dad Henry Fonda stayed "on the outs" over it until almost the end of his life, actually. Probably a good idea for her to stay well away from any Vietnam veterans, though, as I'm sure she knows.

Just can't get past the idea Americans can be progressives and patriots, can you? Is patriotism that unpopular for Britishers?

In any case, for the record, the US - and allies, as there were some, including South Korea, won every major military engagement in the war. President Truman introduced the idea of "limited warfare" in the Korean War, something which simply isn't workable. They could have gone through the north any time had Presidents Johnson or Nixon allowed them to do so.

Equally amazing that Britain was able to defeat even Argentina with the attitudes I have seen displayed here. Wow.

Jane Fonda has apologized several times in more recent years for allowing herself to be used for propaganda purposes. by the North Vietnam, Assassin. Regardless of one's feelings about that conflict, it was an incredible case of poor judgement on her part - her, and dad Henry Fonda stayed "on the outs" over it until almost the end of his life, actually. Probably a good idea for her to stay well away from any Vietnam veterans, though, as I'm sure she knows.

Just can't get past the idea Americans can be progressives and patriots, can you? Is patriotism that unpopular for Britishers?

In any case, for the record, the US - and allies, as there were some, including South Korea, won every major military engagement in the war. President Truman introduced the idea of "limited warfare" in the Korean War, something which simply isn't workable. They could have gone through the north any time had Presidents Johnson or Nixon allowed them to do so.

Equally amazing that Britain was able to defeat even Argentina with the attitudes I have seen displayed here. Wow.

The problem with patriotism in the UK is that it has been hikacked by the Far Right.

Back in the early eighties most of the country were behind the Falklands War (although I would suggest you get a copy of Raymond Briggs' The Tin Pot Foreign General and The Old Iron Woman as a example how popular culture rebelled post conflict) the problem comes from the Iraq war.

Tony Blair decided to follow George Bush into the war on scant evidence which many suspect was manipulated to make the threat appear greater than it was. This has corrupted the UK view of military action especially where we are a third party. In the Falklands there was a direct threat to British territory albeit a bloody long way away.

What does Patriotism mean does it mean I love my country and want it to succeed or does it mean I hate every other country and don't want anything to ever change?

• Like 1

Given the debate recently concerning WW 2 and the US's contributions to that, and various other conflicts, there were several US allies in the Vietnam war including the above-mentioned South Korea - Australia and New Zealand contributed troops as well, incurring losses during the war's progression. It seems that troops for South Korea were responsible for a number of the atrocities committed during the war which were unjustly laid at the feet of the US. These facts aren't difficult to research Cat... and others; check into them for yourselves rather than just making wise-acre remarks.

Your comments on patriotism and the Falklands, etc., al, are rather ironic, Jolly Green... To an American it seems Britain wants to hang on to near-useless territories like the Falklands out of a curious stubborn stupidity, a desperate need to retain shreds of long-faded glories, perhaps. Maybe someone needs extra space for sheep to graze, I don't know. I seem to have read somewhere that a Dutch ship first sighted these rocks prior to either UK or Spanish vessels if that is to be a consideration as to who has a greater claim over them. It seems there are some other cold, windswept wastes in the same general area further south which the UK claims, but said claims are not recognized even by ourselves, apparently. From some research I have done myself, it would appear that Spain meant for them to go to Argentina when Argentina became independent.

I suppose it is a bitter pill to swallow after one's nation controlled half the world or so for several hundred years, and now primarily has near-worthless places like this left in the kingdom, or occupied places like Northern Ireland (which I suspect most in the US view N. Ireland as) which are nothing but a constant source of trouble you would be better off to be well rid-of. I don't believe anybody in the States during the 1940's was planning on becoming "king of the hill" once the dust settled, but history is fickle as all here should know.

Does anybody honestly believe "Uncle" Joe Stalin would have stopped with eastern Europe had the US not been there to counter-balance the Soviets? I think it unlikely (to put it very mildlly) the UK, France, etc., could have held the Soviets back w/o our aid. Thinking otherwise is an exercise in self-deception, Biblio... and I most definitely did not support the Iraq War. Going after Bin laden was an entirely different matter, of course.

Shroud you're a tiresome cunt. Not sure why the Admins allow those with agendas to stay as long as they do. We've had a couple last year. Took 3 weeks or so but they were deleted (and posts vanquished). Just some info on the QT, mate.

SC

Biblio...

No, patriotism in England has been hijacked by the far right. In the Country, the Principality and the Province , it is not the same.

The Falklands wasn't a War.

Sarah...

Going after Bin Laden was extra judicial murder. There was no intention of a trial, which is no surprise.

Point out the Province on a map and I'll send you a haggis. Indeed, point out Europe on a map and the same applies.

Guest Savannah

Valerie Harper

Biblio...

No, patriotism in England has been hijacked by the far right. In the Country, the Principality and the Province , it is not the same.

The Falklands wasn't a War.

Sarah...

Going after Bin Laden was extra judicial murder. There was no intention of a trial, which is no surprise.

Point out the Province on a map and I'll send you a haggis. Indeed, point out Europe on a map and the same applies.

Point taken.

Your comments on patriotism and the Falklands, etc., al, are rather ironic, Jolly Green... To an American it seems Britain wants to hang on to near-useless territories like the Falklands out of a curious stubborn stupidity, a desperate need to retain shreds of long-faded glories, perhaps. Maybe someone needs extra space for sheep to graze, I don't know. I seem to have read somewhere that a Dutch ship first sighted these rocks prior to either UK or Spanish vessels if that is to be a consideration as to who has a greater claim over them. It seems there are some other cold, windswept wastes in the same general area further south which the UK claims, but said claims are not recognized even by ourselves, apparently. From some research I have done myself, it would appear that Spain meant for them to go to Argentina when Argentina became independent.

I suppose it is a bitter pill to swallow after one's nation controlled half the world or so for several hundred years, and now primarily has near-worthless places like this left in the kingdom, or occupied places like Northern Ireland (which I suspect most in the US view N. Ireland as) which are nothing but a constant source of trouble you would be better off to be well rid-of. I don't believe anybody in the States during the 1940's was planning on becoming "king of the hill" once the dust settled, but history is fickle as all here should know.

Does anybody honestly believe "Uncle" Joe Stalin would have stopped with eastern Europe had the US not been there to counter-balance the Soviets? I think it unlikely (to put it very mildlly) the UK, France, etc., could have held the Soviets back w/o our aid. Thinking otherwise is an exercise in self-deception, Biblio... and I most definitely did not support the Iraq War. Going after Bin laden was an entirely different matter, of course.

I think you are misreading the intention of my post. I was only trying to contrast the attitude that prevailed in the country at the time of Falklands with the much more divergent opinions that are visible now.

I have never expressed the opinion that the US have not played a significant role in maintaining stability in post war Europe and the importance of the Marshall plan. Though some resentment may come from those who lived through it that if the US had entered the war earlier it may have been shorter and less expensive.

You keep going back to that topic yourself.

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much....

Given the debate recently concerning WW 2 and the US's contributions to that, and various other conflicts, there were several US allies in the Vietnam war including the above-mentioned South Korea - Australia and New Zealand contributed troops as well, incurring losses during the war's progression. It seems that troops for South Korea were responsible for a number of the atrocities committed during the war which were unjustly laid at the feet of the US. These facts aren't difficult to research Cat... and others; check into them for yourselves rather than just making wise-acre remarks.

Shroud,

I have no idea why you're so defensive over Cat's comment about referring to Jane Fonda has Hanoi Jane. I'm not sure what your political affiliation is, but 43-44 years on since the controversy, I still hear people refer to her as Hanoi Jane. Some are just parroting the phrase heard from others, and some are still deeply offended by what she did. And yes we're aware of the atrocities commited by both Koreans and Vietnamese during both wars, however it should also be pointed out that there wouldn't have been a Korean War or the Vietnam war wouldn't have gone on as long as it did if the U.S. hadn't got involved.

I see some of your point, Biblio, although our Founders advised strongly future generations not to become involved in European wars in particular given the bloody history Europe has had, and etc al.

I only went back to this subject due to someone's remarks on Jane Fonda which tried to imply that I am some right wing fanatic, which is most certainly not the case. I think you will find Ms. Clinton much more aggressive a leader than M,. Obama has for the record assuming she wins. Given her personality and other problems, that's not a given at all. I am a progressive, but obviously there are major cultural differences between US progressives sometimes, and UK ones.

If the Falklands affair wasn't a war, then what was it? I believe we provided(quietly) intelligence support to Thatcher during it.

For the record, I would rather Bin Laden had been taken alive and tried for his crimes as well.

Veterans of Vietnam and those really on the far-right are ones who detest Jane Fonda, and from the veterans perspective, I can understand why they still do so.

As far as provinces or territories go, if I owned the Mojave desert, I still wouldn't fall all over myself to go live there, people. That one of the points I was making on the Falkands also.

Instead of insulting Americans because of a bad leader like Bushie jr, why not check into people like Audie Murphy whom I mentioned before? It would be time better spent than arguing back and forth like this,,certainly. I believe, also, charon, some of your more over-the-tip posts have been removed also, "mate."

I tend to think Vietnam might have gone much differently had not Robert Kennedy been killed, but that's something no one can ever know now.

I think I have made my point well enough, however, as it seems the best many of you can do in response if hurl vulgarities and insults to my position.

I must say I am somewhat confused at some of the comments directed either at myself, or the US generally. Many of yo have seemed to say our help wasn't needed in the WW 2 years, while Biblio berates us for not getting involved sooner. On really can't have it both ways, you know. Anyhow, the Korean conflict involved the UN generally as well as the US, so many other countries were involved there besides the US on the South's side.

Hopefully, this will be the final comments on the subject. I really feel no need to have to explain my positions or defend the US on any of it, really, in the end.

Good.

• Like 2

Elton John has ended the feud with his 90-year old mother:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/sir-elton-john-ended-bitter-7325466

Trying to reconcile before her death? (Yeah, the suggestion is his mom, not Elton)

Counterargument: She had double-hip replacement last month and recovered.

• Like 1

For now i got 3 candidates for the Death List this year:

1- Patricio Aylwin (97) Former President of Chile (1990-1994). In December 2015, he suffered an accident which he recovered for now. But he wont last forever.

http://www.latercera.com/noticia/politica/2015/12/674-660758-9-ex-presidente-patricio-aylwin-dado-de-alta-tras-accidente.shtml

2- Lucia Hiriart de Pinochet (93) widow of former chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet. She was First Lady of Chile from 1973 to 1990. Currently she is been prosecuted for the ilegal transference of State Property given to CEMA Chile Foundation being currently her President, and the Offshore accounts of the Riggs Bank hiding the fortune of Gral Pinochet earned during the dictatorship period (1973-1990). She will fall sick due to the advance in the legal processes and the risk to fall in jail and lose her fortune and properties.

http://radio.uchile.cl/2016/01/13/bienes-nacionales-investiga-inmuebles-transferidos-a-fundacion-de-lucia-hiriart

3-Ibrahim Awwad Ibrahim Ali al-Badri al-Samarrai a.k.a "Abu Bakr Al Baghdadi" (44): Self proclaimed leader of ISIS

• Like 1

Sancturay seller, I mean that we Americans don't have to explain ourselves to anybody, your sorry ass or anybody else -- I know about how Churchill was here every month, at least, trying to get the US into WW 2, though I'm sure this is told far differently over there. He knew you clowns were beaten without us, and that is the end-all of it. In retrospect, it would have been better had we not gotten into the first World War, and the Central Powers eventually won out. Would have spared a lot of American blood being spilled on behalf of people who hate us. I used to think that this claim of being hated so badly was only so much right-wing propaganda, but I suppose they do know what they're talking about every once in awhile. As far as I am concerned, you haven't gotten what is coming to you just yet, and I only hope I last long enough to see the full comeuppance take place. It would like fine to see the flag of the Russian Federation waving over London, Paris, and the rest of western Europe, I must say. No skin off of our noses, after all.

The again, if Putin is open to splitting Europe 50/50, I suppose I could live with that easily enough. I imagine the European women would appreciate having American men a great deal over what they have to chose from presently.

Take a flying leap, why don't you?

How about Rupert Murdoch? Or John Howard?

• Like 1

Hopefully, this will be the final comments on the subject.

Sancturay seller, I mean that we Americans don't have to explain ourselves to anybody, your sorry ass or anybody else -- I know about how Churchill was here every month, at least, trying to get the US into WW 2, though I'm sure this is told far differently over there. He knew you clowns were beaten without us, and that is the end-all of it. In retrospect, it would have been better had we not gotten into the first World War, and the Central Powers eventually won out. Would have spared a lot of American blood being spilled on behalf of people who hate us. I used to think that this claim of being hated so badly was only so much right-wing propaganda, but I suppose they do know what they're talking about every once in awhile. As far as I am concerned, you haven't gotten what is coming to you just yet, and I only hope I last long enough to see the full comeuppance take place. It would like fine to see the flag of the Russian Federation waving over London, Paris, and the rest of western Europe, I must say. No skin off of our noses, after all.

The again, if Putin is open to splitting Europe 50/50, I suppose I could live with that easily enough. I imagine the European women would appreciate having American men a great deal over what they have to chose from presently.

hand-gesture-to-mean-talking-too-much-sm

• Like 1

This website/forum was created in Britain by British people.

The fact that its accessible to people outside of the UK doesn't mean that you can come in, sign up and take the fucking piss out of its Country and its inhabitants.

If you don't like us too much just fuck off and don't come back.

• Like 2

Hopefully, this will be the final comments on the subject.

hand-gesture-to-mean-talking-too-much-sm

Ignore Toast. She's senile and becoming very chavvy with it.

• Like 1

Ignore Toast. She's senile and becoming very chavvy with it.

Don't you have homework to do, Zorders?