Political Frailty

5 hours ago, drol said:

Kalyan Singh critical...

:pop:

Improving. Obviously.

On 15/04/2021 at 21:51, arghton said:

San Marino

Marino Vagnetti (b. 1924) Captain Regent 1971-1972 and 1989

Is this man still alive? I've tried to search for something that would confirm he hasn't died over fifteen years ago but couldn't find anything.

San Marino Captain Regents are a pain in the ass when trying to find information about former heads of states and governments as there are two at the same time and the tenure is six months.

Out of the few who have English wikipedia pages or wikipedia pages at all, Gloriana Ranocchini and Antonello Bacciocchi (both born in 1957) are both marked dead, Ranocchini appears to have died in 1993 and Bacciocchi in 2007. Couldn't find credible proof of either one having died and wikipedia has marked the death dates as "citation needed".

13 hours ago, arghton said:

Is this man still alive? I've tried to search for something that would confirm he hasn't died over fifteen years ago but couldn't find anything.

San Marino Captain Regents are a pain in the ass when trying to find information about former heads of states and governments as there are two at the same time and the tenure is six months.

Out of the few who have English wikipedia pages or wikipedia pages at all, Gloriana Ranocchini and Antonello Bacciocchi (both born in 1957) are both marked dead, Ranocchini appears to have died in 1993 and Bacciocchi in 2007. Couldn't find credible proof of either one having died and wikipedia has marked the death dates as "citation needed".

I've just had a thorough look through Google Books, Twitter, Facebook, Ancestry and Newspapers.com.

Not only did I not find the answer, I barely found a single mention of him.

Possible he died off radar, but could very well be alive at 97. Given he served twice in the post and as "recent" as 1989, you'd expect at least one mention of his death to surface.

If you really want the answer to this one, the only option you have left is to drop an email to the San Marino authorities i.e. your local embassy or through the San Marino Gov website. Someone will look into it and give you an answer.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I've just had a thorough look through Google Books, Twitter, Facebook, Ancestry and Newspapers.com.

Not only did I not find the answer, I barely found a single mention of him.

Possible he died off radar, but could very well be alive at 97. Given he served twice in the post and as "recent" as 1989, you'd expect at least one mention of his death to surface.

If you really want the answer to this one, the only option you have left is to drop an email to the Maltese authorities i.e. your local embassy or through the Maltese Gov website. Someone will look into it and give you an answer.

It's San Marino, nothing to do with Malta.

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

It's San Marino, nothing to do with Malta.

Edited. I knew that, I just typed it before my first morning cup of coffee :D

On 05/07/2021 at 12:01, drol said:

Another Indian political heavyweight, Virbhadra Singh, is not doing too well with post-COVID complications.

On life support after suffering cardiac arrest...

On 06/07/2021 at 23:42, gcreptile said:

Patrick John, first PM of Dominica, has finally died at 83:

https://wicnews.com/caribbean/dominicas-first-pm-patrick-john-passes-away-151935836/

He had a leg amputated in 2017, and was mentioned here back then, mostly by Sir Creep.

Also the last and also last living Premier of Dominica.

In other news, Nursultan Nazarbayev, Kazakhstan's first President celebrated his 81st birthday by getting two new statues built of...himself. (https://globalvoices.org/2021/07/06/kazakhstan-celebrates-its-leader-with-two-more-statues/)

nan-statue2-768x736.jpg.c7044ac8033dfd561f80ff2e4a3085a6.jpg

Here's Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, the current (puppet) President unveiling a giant statue of his predecessor, "Chairman of the Security Council of Kazakhstan" Nazarbayev. He's the last one still ruling of the initial leaders of the states created when the Soviet Union broke and unless there's a coup or he's somehow overthrown by his own party, he'll rule until he's dead.

Out of the other original Presidents of post-soviet states, a handful of others are still alive:

Levon Ter-Petrosyan (b. 1945) President of Armenia from 1991 until his resignation in 1998. Chainsmoker who has or had cancer, still involved in politics.

Ayaz Mutallibov (1938-2022) President of Azerbaijan 1991-1992. Probably tried to become a dictator but didn't succeed, Aliyevs took control of the country later. Recently widowed (2019) and lost his son in 2011 to cancer.

Stanislav Shushkevich (1934-2022) Leader of Belarus 1991-1994.

Askar Akayev (b. 1944) First President of Kyrgyzstan 1990-2005. Overthrown in the Tulip Revolution. Lost a son last year.

Anatolijs Gorbunovs (b. 1942) Acting President of Latvia 1991-1993.

Vytautas Landsbergis (b. 1932) Head of State of Lithuania 1990-1992.

Mircea Snegur (1940-2023) President of Moldova 1990-1997. Like Mutallibov, widowed in 2019.

Leonid Kravchuk (1934-2022) President of Ukraine 1991-1994.

My prediction is that the last one will be either Nazarbayev, Gorbunovs or Akayev.

Not often British MPs die off radar anymore, but seems former Labour MP Ronald Thomas (wiki), died back in December aged 91.

Represented Bristol North West, 1974–1979. Later served as a Bristol councillor.

No death announcement. Who's Who updated his page with a death date.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Elystan Morgan, former Labour MP for Ceredigion (1966-74), dead: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57748140

Also a minister from the first Wilson administration (1964–1970).

Just 6 left now. All made it to the Lords:

Lord Bill Rodgers (93)
Lord Dick Taverne (93)
Lord David Owen (83)
Lord Roy Hattersley (89)
Lord John Morris (90)
Lord Ted Rowlands (81)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/01/2021 at 12:57, The Old Crem said:

Tumour returns.

James Brokenshire resigns from government as his recovery from lung cancer is "taking longer than expected".

12 minutes ago, msc said:

James Brokenshire resigns from government as his recovery from lung cancer is "taking longer than expected".

And Matt Hancock has aides.

What a state of them...:lol:

4 minutes ago, Sean said:

Wow didnt realise he had a son at 86.That is just selfish.

Stunning that a man who spent 9 years in jail for federal fraud might be selfish. :D

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Sean said:

...With a woman he met while in jail.

Here are his five children. Oldest ones are atleast 50+, probably 60+ as he got married with his first wife in 1949.

A bit like Bernie Ecclestone who had a child at 89 a year ago. His oldest daughter is 66 years old.

I guess a bit like the Brokenshire news, U.S. Representative Jim Hagedorn has announced today that his kidney cancer has returned. He had been diagnosed with stage IV kidney cancer in 2019 and seemed to be doing better after having his kidney removed last year, but a new occurrence was found over the weekend:

On 05/07/2021 at 12:01, drol said:

Another Indian political heavyweight, Virbhadra Singh, is not doing too well with post-COVID complications.

On 06/07/2021 at 14:54, drol said:

On life support after suffering cardiac arrest...

DEAD:

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/himachal/former-himachal-cm-virbhadra-singh-dies-of-covid-complications-at-87-279722

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sean said:

Here he is with Anna Nicole, erm sorry, Trina his missus, a full 51 years his junior

trina-edwards-4_thumb.jpg

23 hours ago, arghton said:

...With a woman he met while in jail.

Here are his five children. Oldest ones are atleast 50+, probably 60+ as he got married with his first wife in 1949.

Looks like the two kids on the left are considering the details of just how this child came to be and the two on the right are just thinking "Aww a baby!" :lol: