Joey Russ

Ideas And Possibilities For 2018

don't want to turn this thread into a pizza thread but I think this obvious one should be mentioned :

Giorgio Napolitano / 91 years old / resignation from presidency in 2014 / no major known health issues but his age should be enough.

• Like 1

I am starting to think Sir Creeps suggestion a while back that the committee should have less old people on the list.Yes old people do die but there has been a habit of picking people in their 80s and 90s with no known heath issues.Surely picking more MND incurable cancer and other very serious illnesses would help boost the hit rate.

1 minute ago, Spade_Cooley said:

"we"

Corrected.

Just now, Shaun of the Dead said:

I am starting to think Sir Creeps suggestion a while back that we should have less old people on the list.Yes old people do die but there has been a habit of picking people in their 80s and 90s with no known heath issues.Surely picking more MND incurable cancer and other very serious illnesses would help boost the hit rate.

I'm intrigued by the discussion on this issue.

I have no idea behind the Deathlist concept. A wishlist it clearly is not. An opportunistic way of predicting the demise of a lot of ill people it isn't either.

Famous or infamous people who might cark it is my best guess. Which is why I was surprised to see Downie and Bracknell this year. Who wants a list made up of people who have a 90% chance of dying?

It's a list that qualifies everyone under the sun from Segovia to Patrick Moore, via Bernie Nolan, zombie Bette Davis, and lots of somewhat obscure public figures. It just is, and any structures or mascots come along by accident rather than design, imo.

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I'm intrigued by the discussion on this issue.

I have no idea behind the Deathlist concept. A wishlist it clearly is not. An opportunistic way of predicting the demise of a lot of ill people it isn't either.

Famous or infamous people who might cark it is my best guess. Which is why I was surprised to see Downie and Bracknell this year. Who wants a list made up of people who have a 90% chance of dying?

I was surprised to see Downie but knew Bracknell was the sort of pick the committee would like.

2 hours ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

I am starting to think Sir Creep's suggestion a while back that the committee should have less fewer old people on the list.

• Like 1

With all the very aged I can understand the angst of having the 50-slots full of the aged and sometimes they can be there for decades (Kirk Douglas, for example).  But they do deserve to be there. 

How about we have multiple lists: divide them by general age groups (e.g.  over 100, 90-99, 80-89, under 80).  This would allow those under 80 (who, generally are at or below the "expected length of life" to stand out) - then we would have more room for the druggies, cancer, and others who we can see that will possibly meet an earlier than normal demise?

Sufe Bradshaw, who's taking a season off from Veep for "personal reasons", turned up in a cast photo last month looking awful, leading to some speculation that she could be ill. She's 3rd from left and the youngest person there.veep_cast_emmys_embed.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LB93 said:

Sufe Bradshaw, who's taking a season off from Veep for "personal reasons", turned up in a cast photo last month looking awful, leading to some speculation that she could be ill. She's 3rd from left and the youngest person there.veep_cast_emmys_embed.jpg

Christ she looks awful.Cancer?

Even pancreatic cancer by the looks of it.

Edit: Though maybe the "personal reasons" hint at bulimia?

She is only 31.Looks 81.

judging by her age I would say drugs rather than cancer

1 minute ago, viGnoS said:

judging by her age I would say drugs rather than cancer

She doesnt have that spaced out look though.I reckon it is cancer amyloidosis or severe anorexia.

How famous is she in the US?

It's posts like this one that really bring the Death List to life - good to see these updates.   (Another reason to consider putting those over 80 into their own bucket before they kick them.)

That show has a large following (HBO) in the US.  I do say this is "list worthy". 

1 minute ago, Szabaka said:

That show has a large following (HBO) in the US.  I do say this is "list worthy". 

I have heard the name.Wasnt she in a science fiction film?

Judging by this photos and others I just found online she wont make 2018.

100% guaranteed obits in the Mail and The Guardian within hours of her death being known.

I was tempted to say anorexia rather than cancer as well, but I will defer to others on this one.

adm-2016HBOEmmyParty-BT-384.jpg

My guess would either pancreatic or advanced bowel cancer.

I'm not sure how quickly symptoms of eating disorders show up, but in 5 seasons of Veep she's never looked unhealthy, definitely not this gaunt, or that much older than she is. This seems to be her only public appearance in the last year or so which is quite worrying :(

2 hours ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

adm-2016HBOEmmyParty-BT-384.jpg

You can see her ribcage that is just dreadful for shit like this to happen to someone so young. Her neck looks normal which suggests anorexia. Hopefully she'll get better.

I notice she's wearing something which is covering the tops of her arms. As a rule, anorexics tend to have skinnier upper arms than lower arms. I'm not sure if the same is true of cancer sufferers.

Just as a comparison. This was her before she became very frail.

IMG_9635.JPG