Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2018

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I am also up for bio duties. Give me what needs to be done.

I always turn in bios for the less obvious in case it's a solo choice.  I even told Spade to drop my one theme team outta the league cuz they were all too obtuse.  
I think if everyone sent in even 2-3 bios on people they suspect are uniques it would help out tremendously.
SC

I'll be up to bio duties again as well. Not taking dibs on any letters or anything, just signalling intentions now...

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 17:51, themaninblack said:

Funnily enough, when I was updating the stats, I noticed that one of the best performing non-DL member is Dead Ends (14th points, =7th hits), whom Vinegar Tits knows but does not frequent this site...

I'm here occasionally, just lurking... 

However I'm a little concerned that I haven't had a confirmation email for my 2018 team - submitted late morning NYE - I wasn't worried until discussing the 2018 competition down the pub today with another friend who says he has received emails following his own team submissions.

Should be a good one this year - I just hope I'm in it!

• Like 5

Welcome to the forums Dead Ends, and hopefully your team has been received by Spade. :) 

• Like 1

I think I've already settled on next year's Theme Team: classical music. Gives me a chance to pick Montserrat Caballe.

Maybe even a second Theme Team, if enough people qualify, and if B-Teams will be banned.

58 minutes ago, Sean the Irish Bastard said:

I'm here occasionally, just lurking... 

However I'm a little concerned that I haven't had a confirmation email for my 2018 team - submitted late morning NYE - I wasn't worried until discussing the 2018 competition down the pub today with another friend who says he has received emails following his own team submissions.

Should be a good one this year - I just hope I'm in it!

Yr in: says I sent you an email at 1:05pm on NY Day, but Plusnet isn't the best....

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Yr in: says I sent you an email at 1:05pm on NY Day, but Plusnet isn't the best....

Thanks chief - I appreciate all the hard work you guys put in to this:):clap:

Good to have you here, Sean.

We already have a regular poster named Sean, so perhaps we should call you Dead Ends.  Unless you prefer Bastard?  :)

On 9/24/2017 at 16:54, Joey Russ said:

Well, it's certainly going to be interesting for 2018. But I think if you ignore current survivors, you could have gotten 18 hits so far with decent research with a decent team like this:

1. Mark Sims (joker)
  2. Tony Booth
  3. Glen Campbell
  4. Errol Christie
  5. Sara Coward
  6. Gord Downie
  7. Bruce Forsyth
  8. Smith Hart
  9. Steve Hewlett
  10. Bruce Langhorne
  11. Tracy McGiffin
  12. Colin Meads
  13. King Michael of Romania
  14. Peter Skellern
  15. Jimmy Snuka 
  16. Mario Soares
  17. Steve Sumner
  18. Joost van der Westhuizen 
  19. Paul van Zandvliet
  20. John Wetton

Of course, this is all within hindsight, and there's certainly more hits to come, but it may not be as hard as some people suspect, they just have to put the right names down for their team...

I mentioned last year that I think a team of people in common knowledge can be very successful if you picked the right names, and I actually found that this batch of 20 could've easily been put on a team and garnered someone 200 points. So I wanted to try once again with the names with common knowledge high score throughout the season to see what's the best possible team that you can make with names who are known to the public. Right now there's two people on it:

1. Rayya Elias (joker, though I do expect this to change)
  2. Bobby Zarin

Which gives you either 25 or 31 points depending on whether she makes the drop 40 or not. I'll try to update this every month or so, and see where this evolves into as we go later in the competition...

On 10/1/2018 at 15:37, Sir Creep said:

Seems like the masses have spoken, and they are certainly correct and I wrong.  
Surely I looked at Bobby Zarin and wrote his name down, but a quick look and if that Daily Mail don't come through you can forget about a QO.  I crossed him off pretty early on as an unlikelihood of getting a QO, and without a finger on the pulse of UK media, I'm apparently wrong.  What's new?

Guess we will see soon enough, he won't see Easter.
SC

Yep.

As the upload process continues unabated, I'm trying to work out who the most surprising person who makes their DDP debut this year is, someone you'd have assumed would have been picked before. Clive King and Peter Marshall are probably the biggest two.

• Like 1

Can we talk about how good drol's doing?

Rayya Elias (his joker) and Bobby Zarin puts him at 31 points if Elias is in the Drop 40.

With Falkholt on her way out, and folks like Cryne and Vervoort probably dying within a couple weeks, he could be at 67 points by the time February rolls around!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Phantom of the Midway said:

Can we talk about how good drol's doing?

Rayya Elias (his joker) and Bobby Zarin puts him at 31 points if Elias is in the Drop 40.

With Falkholt on her way out, and folks like Cryne and Vervoort probably dying within a couple weeks, he could be at 67 points by the time February rolls around!

If unnatural bonus comes through with Vervoort though, Dead Cow could be at 70...

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

If unnatural bonus comes through with Vervoort though, Dead Cow could be at 70...

drol

Rayya Elias: (9+3) x 2 = 24

Bobby Zarin: 7

Jessica Falkholt: 12

Patrick Cryne: 8

Marieke Vervoort: 10+3+3 = 16

His total comes out to be 67.

The Dead Cow

Rayya Elias: 9+3 = 12

Jessica Falkholt: 12

Patrick Cryne: 8

Marieke Vervoort: (10+3+3) x 2 = 32

His total comes out to be 64.

At least, using my system where Cryne isn't in the drop 40. Also Falkholt doesn't get unnatural points because the accident happened before the New Year (I think that's the 'ruling').

Of course, this is all speculation. For all we know, Falkholt could miraculously recover, Vervoort get the will to live again, and Cryne see Christmas. Meanwhile, Devin Lima and Dean Francis will croak tomorrow. :P 

Ah, I forgot that Cow didn’t have Zarin. But, he got a lot of differentials from drol, with Goodwin being one very soon if she dies and obits in the near future...

Heaven Knows They're Miserable Now was 32 points ahead of all nearest credible challengers at the end of January 2009, and didn't even finish in the top 5. The points on death are the same all year round, after all.

Yeah, Spade was almost 50 points behind in 2013, but he slowly made what is possibly the greatest dead pooling comeback of all time...

Falkholt may be 15 due to unnatural death if she goes.  I got Phantom of the Midway point about accident happening last year. 

On 11/1/2018 at 13:46, drol said:

I see Falkholt was overlooked by many major competitors. Why?

I'm slowly understating why.

• Haha 1

Oh, I believe that she will die, as the reports are still saying critical. I think it took a couple of days with Bianchi before he died, so I wouldn’t eliminate her yet...

• Like 1

No, but she is not the dead cert many think she is. She had part of the skull and a kidney removed, but they said she had 50/50 possibilities fifteen days ago. Then she remained critical but apparently stable and after her family's funeral her relatives switched life support off, presumably to end her sufferings. A day later they are at her bedside literally "waiting for a speedy recovery", like it was a cold. Don't know what to think, two days ago I was certain, now I'm just confused.

"on this final page of my stint as stand-in diarist. I don’t think Clive James, in whose immense shadow I have written these last six months, would take my preference amiss."

Does this mean Clive James is returning to write for The Guardian, or are they getting a new permanent writer in? Anyone know?

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jan/13/meyerowitz-stories-great-art

On 1/12/2018 at 12:04, Joey Russ said:

Updated this again, let me know if I missed someone. 

Keith Jackson got a Mail obit.