Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2018

28 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Now I'm meaning already started googling terms like "terminally ill musician" and "artist with brain cancer" and filing any names on a brand new spreadsheet.

Well I do that probably twice daily.  And that's how I locate and post the obits or announcements that I do every day.
Sir Creep's problem is that unlike you smart people, he is a dummy and does NOT also put said information into a list or spreadsheet etc, and come December 2018, he will be doing the same 'going back and going through all these damn threads' process again.  But maybe I'll get some incentive from your post today and at least write names down.
One trick I DO do is if I'm on my phone and on DL and one of you posts something that looks promising, I'll take a photo of it and then go back in my photos later, so there's that.  Easier than making a list.

SC

In the spirit of MSCs post, which was very interesting:

Marieke Vervoort [joker] - no idea about her but saw her in the Telegraph at the last minute (or slightly after the last minute), read up a bit about her and sounds like an interesting person who is likely to be on her way soon
Saturo Anzaki - just liked the way he went about arranging the departure party
Devin Lima - not even going to look up his songs, but I need some points this year
Gene Deitch - read his book many years ago, and his story of being the only US expat in Czechoslovakia from the 1950s onwards is fascinating in a slightly mundane way
W.P.C. (Phil) Davies (rugby player) - my old headmaster!
Assem Allam - the saviour of the British Open (squash) and according to Steve Bruce "not a well man" - although a wasted joker last year
Robert Mugabe - the guy doesn't look good recently and his wife must be nagging him to death after everything went pear-shaped for them
Susan Gargan - well there has to be a reason that Peter Kay cancelled his tour
Greg Gilbert - see Devin Lima
June Whitfield - one of the definitive sitcoms of my youth and now in the place where showbiz people go to die
Joni Mitchell - not in a good state and she complains that they “paved paradise to put up a parking lot” – a measure which actually would have alleviated traffic congestion on the outskirts of paradise. Something which Joni singularly fails to point out, perhaps because it doesn't quite fit in with her blinkered view of the world
Olivia Newton-John - loved the song Physical and also Landslide
Amy Price - has a lot to answer for
Rev Billy Graham - I saw him at Villa Park in 1984 - surely he can't hang on any longer?
John McCain - I've been to the Hanoi Hilton prison he was in for 5 years, and respect for surviving that. Although ironically I actually stayed in the Hilton hotel in Hanoi during my trip and they had great apple crumble with custard on room service
Jimmy Greaves - legend of football broadcasting in the 1980s, so I spent a lot of my youth watching him and Saint do their stuff
Frederick J. Kroesen, Jr. - the oldest 4* general still alive. Although I guess uniques aren't as useful as they once were
Kirk Douglas - see Billy Graham
Peter Lorimer - fond memories of my football sticker collection
Clive James - wonderful story teller. I remember one he told about Joyce Grenfell. His absence from the Guardian recently makes me think it's not long now

Biggest mistake: taking Bracknell off the list. For some reason I thought she was doing a WIlko Johnson, clearly I was wrong on that

2 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

In the spirit of MSCs post, which was very interesting:

Marieke Vervoort [joker] - no idea about her but saw her in the Telegraph at the last minute (or slightly after the last minute), read up a bit about her and sounds like an interesting person who is likely to be on her way soon
Saturo Anzaki - just liked the way he went about arranging the departure party
Devin Lima - not even going to look up his songs, but I need some points this year
Gene Deitch - read his book many years ago, and his story of being the only US expat in Czechoslovakia from the 1950s onwards is fascinating in a slightly mundane way
W.P.C. (Phil) Davies (rugby player) - my old headmaster!
Assem Allam - the saviour of the British Open (squash) and according to Steve Bruce "not a well man" - although a wasted joker last year
Robert Mugabe - the guy doesn't look good recently and his wife must be nagging him to death after everything went pear-shaped for them
Susan Gargan - well there has to be a reason that Peter Kay cancelled his tour
Greg Gilbert - see Devin Lima
June Whitfield - one of the definitive sitcoms of my youth and now in the place where showbiz people go to die
Joni Mitchell - not in a good state and she complains that they “paved paradise to put up a parking lot” – a measure which actually would have alleviated traffic congestion on the outskirts of paradise. Something which Joni singularly fails to point out, perhaps because it doesn't quite fit in with her blinkered view of the world
Olivia Newton-John - loved the song Physical and also Landslide
Rev Billy Graham - I saw him at Villa Park in 1984 - surely he can't hang on any longer?
John McCain - I've been to the Hanoi Hilton prison he was in for 5 years, and respect for surviving that. Although ironically I actually stayed in the Hilton hotel in Hanoi during my trip and they had great apple crumble with custard on room service
Jimmy Greaves - legend of football broadcasting in the 1980s, so I spent a lot of my youth watching him and Saint do their stuff
Frederick J. Kroesen, Jr. - the oldest 4* general still alive. Although I guess uniques aren't as useful as they once were
Kirk Douglas - see Billy Graham
Peter Lorimer - fond memories of my football sticker collection
Clive James - wonderful story teller. I remember one he told about Joyce Grenfell. His absence from the Guardian recently makes me think it's not long now

Biggest mistake: taking Bracknell off the list. For some reason I thought she was doing a WIlko Johnson, clearly I was wrong on that

Did you submit a 1982 Pop theme team this year, YIA?

Yes, same one as last year, and probably with the same result ..... 0

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

Yes, same one as last year, and probably with the same result ..... 0

Ok, we are going head to head on that one, as my theme team has reached 1982. I shuffled my team around...be interesting to see how we do! Good luck!

• Like 1

:lol:

:lol:

1 minute ago, AnnaNicoleShakespeare said:

Hello, fresh flesh here..

Is it too late to enter the pool? 

Thank you for existing!

Yes. 

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Yes. 

Your pool hasn't started yet though, has it, Joey?    :evil2:

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Your pool hasn't started yet though, has it, Joey?    :evil2:

Its fine, I'm happy to observe and collect the dead into a nice wee folder through the year.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Interesting analyses of people's teams going on.

Now, how many of your team do you actually care about?

I have to say that I do not care about many of the people I write about. But without deadpooling I'd probably care about none of them. It's an unusual way to get to know about people.

• Like 3

In my opinion, dead pooling is less wishing for people to die, as many of the deaths that might happen on my team (McCain, Smith, etc) will sadden me. Instead, I find it as more of a way to get more cultured on individuals. I probably would've never heard of Liam Miller, for instance, if I hadn't joined the forum cause I don't watch soccer football that much. But some of the people I read on, such as John Cocks for example, are quite interesting people, and it makes me feel more cultured. I think that gaining more knowledge on individuals with some level of fame will be able to help open your interests elsewhere. That's one of the reasons that I have decided to forgo any FFBI this time, even though last year I might've forgone someone like Sara Chivers, Ian Toothill, or Chris Betancourt... 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

In my opinion, dead pooling is less wishing for people to die, as many of the deaths that might happen on my team (McCain, Smith, etc) will sadden me. Instead, I find it as more of a way to get more cultured on individuals. I probably would've never heard of Liam Miller, for instance, if I hadn't joined the forum cause I don't watch soccer football that much. But some of the people I read on, such as John Cocks for example, are quite interesting people, and it makes me feel more cultured. I think that gaining more knowledge on individuals with some level of fame will be able to help open your interests elsewhere. That's one of the reasons that I have decided to forgo any FFBI this time, even though last year I might've forgone someone like Sara Chivers, Ian Toothill, or Chris Betancourt... 

I love reading detailed obituaries in the more highbrow media. In the UK the Times, Telegraph and The Guardian in particular do excellent obituaries full of nuance and a real sense of the person's life and impact. 

But that's not due to me being morbid, malicious or wishing death on people. If anything to me it's life affirming and life celebrating. It broadens my mind and curiosity  about people and life in general including the fields the deceased person was involved in and their era. Whether it be Danish politics, US politics, opera, philosophy in the 1950s,boxing, science, film, comedy, literature etc 

People and their lives interest me. No malice intended as I'm sure is true of the majority of people  on here. 

• Like 1

Bruce Langhorne, King Michael, and Wayne Barrett are some of my favorite characters among past TJS picks. For an example from the current team, I wasn't aware of Greg Gilbert pre-illness, but his drawings are quite impressive.

• Like 1

One of my favourite obits was for Robert de la Rouchefoucauld, full of escaping executions, blowing up Nazi ammo dumps and send sarcy messages to the Brits by morse code. Alas, I found out years later the entire thing was nearly 100% made up, but hell, if in doubt, print the myth!

Nah, this forum has brought me to new TV, new authors, new music I wouldn't have stumbled across otherwise.

• Like 1

For the List of the Lost :

Harry Landers, picked by @Handrejka for a couple of years in the Hitchcock theme team, died in October 2017 aged 96: http://deadline.com/2018/01/harry-landers-dies-ben-casey-co-star-appeared-on-many-tv-classics-was-96-1202236070/

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2014/celebs_L.html#landeh

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Bruce Langhorne, King Michael, and Wayne Barrett are some of my favorite characters among past TJS picks. For an example from the current team, I wasn't aware of Greg Gilbert pre-illness, but his drawings are quite impressive.

I agree, his drawings are very neat and I've become a big fan of Delays, a band I may have or may not have heard of if it weren't for deadpooling.

I see Rayya Elias has gone.....did she get a proper UK obit yet? RIP.

16 minutes ago, CharonsCrew said:

Not yet but will (hopefully) in a few hours.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FixedBusiness said:

Not yet but will (hopefully) in a few hours.

Thanks. I see both the Telegraph and the Daily Mail have mentioned her in the past, so hopefully so.

30 minutes ago, CharonsCrew said:

Daily Mail will Walk with Elias sometime today

6 hours ago, CharonsCrew said:

First hit for me. 

Alternatively in the News

1.     Atal Bihari Vajpayee

2.     Lata Mangeshkar

3.     Dilip Kumar

4.     Marieke Vervoort (Joker)

5.     John McCain

6.     Leah Bracknell

7.     Alberto Fujimori

8.     Rayya Elias

9.     Stefan Karl Stefansson

10.  Greg Gilbert

11.  Billy Graham

12.  Simon Ricketts

13.  Dennis Norden

14.  Junrey Balawing

15.  Catherine Nevin

16.  Stephen Hawking

17.  Clarissa Eden

18.  Christine King Farris

19.  Vera Miles

20.  Valerie Harper

Theme Team 1: Ice Dancing 

1.     Élise Béliveau

2.     Jim Conachar

3.     Don Cherry

4.     Alan Rittinger

5.     Hazel McCallion

6.     Ted Lindsay

7.     Red Kelly

8.     Jim Morrison

9.     Howie Meeker

10.  Emile Francis

11.  Steve Wojciechowski

12.  Kelly Burnett

13.  John ‘Chick’ Webster (Joker)

14.  Alan Rittinger

15.  Ivan Irwin

16.  Larry Kwong

17.  Frank Ashworth

18.  Tom McGrattan

19.  Ray Hannigan

20.  Johnny Peirson

Theme Team 2: Nobely Dying

1.     Tu Youyou

2.     Satoshi Omura

3.     Alice Munro

4.     Akira Suzuki

5.     Mario Vargas Llosa

6.     Sydney Brenner (Joker)

7.     J.M. Coetzee

8.     Kofi Annan

9.     Hideki Shirakawa

10.  Toni Morrison

11.  FW de Klerk

12.  Aung San Suu Kyi

13.  Wole Soyinka

14.  Claude Cohen-Tannoudji

15.  Martinus Veltman

16.  Masatoshi Koshiba

17.  Rainer Weiss

18.  Isamu Akasaki

19.  Francois Englert

20. Martin Karplus

---

Elias is my first hit of the lot.

Oh, Rayya Elias has died? That's my earliest DDP hit ever!

And as usual, it's not who I expected. I was thinking Cryne or Lynott.