Sign in to follow this  
msc

The Deathlist Cup 2018

Decided to give some thoughts on some of the picks for this round:

Anzaki - went from 4 picks the first round to 5 the second round. Now it's reduced to 3 in round 3. He's gonna be the deciding pick in the finals round, isn't he? :P 

Blanco - Charon was the only one who went for her in the first two rounds. With him out (and not even picking her this time anyways), DDT picks up the unique for her. Maybe April is the time she goes...

Bracknell - Went from 4 picks last round to 3; the two survivors who also had her last time and myself. Thought she might've been on one or two more though, as she sounded quite pessimistic in her two most recent interviews, and she usually was optimistic.

Cappotelli - Once again, Sean is the only person who kept faith in him from previous round. Maybe his consistent support will finally pay off.

Clegg - Another one that Sean has been the only person who kept consistent support in all three rounds, and his latest news wasn't exactly the best news, though he might be a bit early

Da-Ren - Went from 0 to 4 to 5, the most selected person this round. Don't know which sod revealed that he was in a three day coma according to foreign sources though. :blush:

Jose Jose - Went from 11 picks to 2. Clearly a reaction to him not being as ill as thought.

Jowell - Now a unique for YoungWilz. And she's one month closer to expiring from brain cancer still.

Lynott - 9 picks to 3 to none. The remaining people who picked her last time has either been eliminated or now has now pushed her to the side in favor of better picks.

Mack - Has each match gone down one less team, and now he's a unique for deadsox. Hm, I somehow get the feeling he might be on no teams , and not necessarily because no one picks him when he's still living.

Manan - Jumped from a unique from last round to three teams, the person who picked her last month and two people from the same tie.

McCain - Went from 8 to 5 to 2, and only DDT kept faith in him from the people who moved on to the next round. 

McCormick - One of those picks that jumped from nowhere to 3 picks, and part of that was because my research didn't pick him up. His situation certainly sounds dire.

Moss - msc was surprised when he was only on 4 teams last match. Now he's a unique for Heef.

Obyashi - Went from 2 people in round 1 to 3 in round 2 on 5 separate teams. Now the only person out of those 5 who picked him in the last two rounds that broke into the quarterfinals has now chosen him as a unique. 

Rae - Was somehow a unique for msc last round. Now she's somehow a unique for me. What do you know sometimes?

Shore - Was a unique for two people in past rounds, and neither of them made it through. Now she's on 3 teams. Must've been some tweets asking for prayers

Skripal - Went from nowhere to four teams. Personally his daughters recovery made me turn away from him, but maybe they made the right call on him.

Stefansson - The first round saw him on three teams, who all exited the cup. The next round also saw him on three teams, this time they all broke through. Now he's on four teams, and his outlook certainly doesn't look good. 

Vento - Went from 1 to 4 picks. Now only two people picked him, and it's the same two that made it to next round that picked him last time. 

Wilkins - The other pick who went from nowhere to half the teams, and it's not really looking good for him right now...

Vervoort - Went from all 16 teams to only 2 teams. Clearly a reaction to articles that might've pointed her to a potential fraud. 

• Like 2

Oh, (sorry for so many comments) but I think it’s safe to say that Sir Creep is rookie of the year while me, Sean, and YoungWilz are contenders for most improved...

Yo....someone tell Dead Sox to get off all my entries lol.  Damn....we got like half each other's team.  Great minds or two dummies, time will tell.
SC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Sir Creep, I know you said that you were dissatisfied with your line up next round, but that looks like a team that could do very well, especially since you cancel out two of my strongest, Manan and Da-Ren. I could easily see a high scoring match between the both of us tbh, or I could see you bumping me very hard...

I posted on social media along the lines of my team is a bunch of people who won't see July, but almost certainly will see May.  I am a month early on a few of them, and held onto them hoping to advance but I can't sit on them any longer even though i think none  of them should die in April (Hileman, Foley, McEwen).  And a few others who are maybe more rumour than fact.
As I said there and will say here, my entire April team is banking on Thibodeau, Thacker and Da-Ren lighting the lamp (of the crematorium), with an assist scored for Tajima.  The rest are filler and if any perish, it's pure luck, happenstance and lagniappe.  And now we each have Da-Ren so cross him off.  So if the other two don't come through, I may well have posted a nil.
Anyway, two good squads on paper, best of luck Joey.

SC

(Edit: Agreed, as I sit here Da-Ren is one of my 3 best chances, now a wash, and I think it may be a month early for Manan but she was certainly worth a punt in April cuz I didn't want to be caught with my opponent having her solo.  I had Wouk as my #12 backup, and REALLY struggled with my last team member #11 between ND Tiwari, Wouk, and Mahmoud Abbas--who YOU have.  I put a star next to Abbas' name which typically will land them on my team, but he got pushed back as I started getting the mojo and felt he had a month or two at worst yet.  So you may prove me wrong in the end, just wanted you to know he was damn near a Month-To-Month Tenant for SirC.)

3 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Might as well share what my squad would've been:

Ray Wilkins
Fu Da-Ren
Joe Vento
Le Duc Anh
Bishop David Foley
Azreen Manan
Satoru Anzaki
Marieke Vervoort
Ernie Thacker
Nabi Tajima
Manohar Parrikar

Damn, you too....you'd have had 6 of my 11.  Nice catch on Bishop Foley, and we gave Thacker the 'C' on  his sweater for team captain this month.

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Decided to give some thoughts on some of the picks for this round:

Anzaki - went from 4 picks the first round to 5 the second round. Now it's reduced to 3 in round 3. He's gonna be the deciding pick in the finals round, isn't he? :P 

Vervoort - Went from all 16 teams to only 2 teams. Clearly a reaction to articles that might've pointed her to a potential fraud. 

Worth a mention perhaps that Dead Cow and Sir C have held serve with ND Tiwari, and remain the only two keeping the faith both rounds 2 and 3 despite his son's statement that 'although still on life support, he is out of ICU and in a private room (so therefore is improving).  I'm surprised it didn't chase off Dead Cow, or me frankly (though he was my final pick).  It's nice to see someone else thinking like me about that update.  Right or wrong lol.

Here is who I woulda picked

John McCain
Nabi Tajimi
Dean Francis
Peter Overton
Jose Jose
Marieke Vervoort* I seem to be one of the few who missed the recent info on her being a possible faker
Ted Mack
Luis Echeverria Alvarez
Tessa Jowell
Stuart Fraser
Joe Vento

Damn, Joey, Ray Wilkins is a lock.  I’ve been sans internet for 48 hours and looks like that’s when Wilkins’ party got started.  Never saw it, but when four teams have him I knew I screwed up.  Ugh.  Well, you’re up 1-nil. :angry:

SC

4 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Damn, Joey, Ray Wilkins is a lock.  I’ve been sans internet for 48 hours and looks like that’s when Wilkins’ party got started.  Never saw it, but when four teams have him I knew I screwed up.  Ugh.  Well, you’re up 1-nil. :angry:

SC

The first I heard about it was getting a team in from Heef very early yesterday and going "Wait? What?" Anyhow, yeah, it doesn't look good for him.

Heef was the Player of the Month for March in the DDP (admittedly with his theme team), so he comes into this round on the back of some strong league form.

Good game, @The Dead Cow.

I knew all along I was fucked going up against you, so I'm glad I at least put up a decent fight.

I'll be rooting for you to take it all the way!

Oh, and here's my would-be team if anyone's interested:

Mansoor Ahmed
Le Duc Anh
Leah Bracknell
Fu Da-Ren
David Foley
Tessa Jowell
Azreen Manan
Lindy Remigino
Mitzi Shore
Russell Verhousky
Ray Wilkins

Here's some of my thoughts:

Surprised Lê Đức Anh is a unique for Joey, would've made my team as well. It's a tad suspicious he made it this long after the grim reports, but his time is probably up soon. Odelein an interesting punt - seems very grim but we don't really know what's wrong with him. Read some articles in the Japanese press about Obayashi making several public appearances in March, so that's a unique that probs won't pay off for Joey... same can be said for Rae (went to a birthday part last month)... and Abbas is almost definitely a bad pick, since the health report was likely a fraud, though I guess assassination isn't out of the question.

I'd've dropped Anzaki if I advanced... we don't really know how he's doing since the goodbye party. And he was just pissing me off for being a wasted pick twice, plus I was counting on him to give me a last-minute hit against Cow :P. He'll probably piss me off even more by croaking this month.

Pretty shocked Jowell's a unique. If she does die this month, it'll probably be in the later weeks, since she attended a wedding. But she looked ghoulish in the photos, and the fact they had to have the ceremony earlier is ominous.

Da-Ren's a goner almost fasho, but I didn't think he'd be most popular pick. Thought that'd be Wilkins - there's a *chance* he'll recover from the heart attack, but looks a goner since his condition is still critical after several days.

Bishop David Foley would've made my team. Not a bad find for DDT and Sir Creep, he's in a 'care home' with cancer - sounds a bit like hospice.

Funny that Cow got a Remigino unique, as I would've had him on my team as well. Great minds think alike ;). I base this off some tweets I saw in February where he looked quite frail.

Didn't think Sergei Skripal would be such a popular pick. If his daughter recovered, I think he might too. I feel like if the attack were fatal, he'd likely be dead by now. But, you never know, folk in that condition have been known to linger and then suddenly croak. Quite tricky to call.

Lastly, Stefansson... of course it's easy to think he's a goner soon based off the grim health reports at the end of February, as well as the fact that he deleted his social media. OTOH, he said he has some projects he wanted to finish, so he might have a couple months left in him. Besides, I remembered when Rowena Kincaid deleted her social media in May 2016... she proceeded to make it all the way to September! There's a decent chance Stefan'll die this month, but I wouldn't have included him on my team.

7 minutes ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

Surprised Lê Đức Anh is a unique for Joey, would've made my team as well. It's a tad suspicious he made it this long after the grim reports, but his time is probably up soon. Odelein an interesting punt - seems very grim but we don't really know what's wrong with him. Read some articles in the Japanese press about Obayashi making several public appearances in March, so that's a unique that probs won't pay off for Joey... same can be said for Rae (went to a birthday part last month)... and Abbas is almost definitely a bad pick, since the health report was likely a fraud, though I guess assassination isn't out of the question.

I’m not ruling out Obayashi and Rae yet especially this early on. Remember, just because someone may be active doesn’t mean they have a good chance of definitely making it to the following month, especially with someone with stage four lung cancer who’s past his original life expectancy and pancreatic cancer respectively. While it wouldn’t shock me of course, 30 days is still quite a long time...

Okay msc - I think it's time you told Joey about the April Fool on the toss off.

20 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Okay msc - I think it's time you told Joey about the April Fool on the toss off.

I’m guessing you’re not taking the loss easily then? 

Lol you are dumb as fuck roey :D

1 minute ago, charon said:

Lol you are dumb as fuck roey :D

Damn it, I realized I took the bait now. Oops...

• Like 1

Well done Joey and good luck in the next round.  I think you had the better team and deserved to sneak it on the coin toss.

I am gutted I am out of the Cup though for another year (although still undefeated on score after two Cup seasons :P) as I love this competition even though my research is not quite good enough to compete with the best on here. Thanks as ever to msc for making it all happen and keeping it so up to date on a daily basis as without that diligence it would not be what it is.

See you all again next year (The Reaper permitting).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Well done Joey and good luck in the next round.  I think you had the better team and deserved to sneak it on the coin toss.

I am gutted I am out of the Cup though for another year (although still undefeated on score after two Cup seasons :P) as I love this competition even though my research is not quite good enough to compete with the best on here. Thanks as ever to msc for making it all happen and keeping it so up to date on a daily basis as without that diligence it would not be what it is.

See you all again next year (The Reaper permitting).

Oh, I think that with the names you’ve chosen without doing a lot of research, it never looked like a bad team on paper, it’s just that they all lasted longer than expected. I always knew it was going to be a tight match, and while it’s disappointing that you had to go out in the coin toss, someone had to face the potential of going out in that fashion, and believe me, I had a ton of anxiety waiting for that result. On the bright side, at least you don’t have to worry about potentially being thumped badly by The Dead Cow in semifinals if you won against Sir Creep in quarterfinals. Speaking of which, I had a feeling that you got the better team for April, so are you willing to reveal your lineup for this month? 

Joey - I don't think it is as good as yours but as ever it depends who dies!! I was a bit gutted that I had already submitted my team when Butch had his heart attack but as it happens it wouldn't have made any difference as Sir Creep didn't have him either.

Hi msc - April team below. 

Going, Going GUN

Leah Bracknell

Jose Jose

Ted Mack

John McCain

Stirling Moss

Nobuhiko Obayashi

Lindy Remigino

Fu Da Ren

Mitzi Shore

Joe Vento

Marieke Vervoort

Given every losers posted their team, if someone else wants to keep an eye on the Quarterfinals that never was as a bit of fun, be my guest.

Rad v Charon
DI v Rover
msc v Chorizo
Gcreptile v Grim

Oh, incidentally most improved surely has to go to Willz. Joey and Sean are top contenders most of the time, but for someone who jokes about their wooden spoon race in most deadpools finishing at worst 8th is a pretty good result.

• Like 2

Just need gcreptile and Rover to post their teams and everything’s good. Will try to keep scores for them as soon as all 8 are revealed...

(PS, you’ll reveal said mystery person if they go in April, right?)

18 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Just need gcreptile and Rover to post their teams and everything’s good. Will try to keep scores for them as soon as all 8 are revealed...

(PS, you’ll reveal said mystery person if they go in April, right?)

Yep. They'd be my "attempted unique" in 2019, only they're unlikely to last that long, so I'm going to use them in the Windy Pool or midsummer.  (Also probably on your shortlist already - its a name person - but no point making it obvious, as Sir Creep would put it!)

@gcreptile @RoverAndOut I'm creating a masterlist to see how each of those rounds of the lose bracket go, so I need your guy's team to make that possible...