Doctor Who Advent Calendar.

December 16 opened.

• Like 2

December 17 opened.

• Like 2

December 18 opened. (Well, it was about time we had the Sontarans and Sarah Jane. Look at the amazing recovery of the Third Doctor!). RIP Jeremy Bulloch.

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

December 18 opened. (Well, it was about time we had the Sontarans and Sarah Jane. Look at the amazing recovery of the Third Doctor!). RIP Jeremy Bulloch.

businessman-megaphone-speaking-empty-chairs-600w-392564308.jpg

• Like 1

December 19 opened.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

December 19 opened.

I have been having a Twitter spat with an American whippersnapper who complained about the horrid misogyny in Caves of Androzani and that The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe was a better episode.

• Haha 1

December 20 opened.

Ah, Dinsdale Landen was a fine actor that didn't really get his TV dues (though he was never off stage) - he was equally fun in Thriller. Bit mad to think it'll be 17 years since he died in the next week or so.

Anne Reid off Corrie/Last Tango in Halifax fame a good one too, who is still acting today of course.She was one of the best things in Years and Years and Our Zoo just in the last few years alone.

• Like 2

December 21 opened.

• Like 1

December 22 opened.

• Like 1

December 23 opened. (Imho, 3 minutes in which all the Doctor's facets are shown. Brilliantly written and performed).

• Like 1

December 24 opened.

What? In the year of COVID and Geoffrey Palmer's death, you didn't expect to end on a high.

Hope you've enjoyed the bounce round the decades.

Happy Christmas.

• Like 1

No.

But Merry Christmas anyway :D

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Toby Hadoke's annual Doctor Who In Memoriam here

I was actually doing quite well until late on when Geoffrey Palmer came up. It truly is awesome every year. A thank you and goodbye, but never forgotten.

I'm going to need a moment.

*breathe, breathe*

Rant's a-coming.

I have never seen such a parody piss take of a show in my life.

All the main characters essentially became guest stars in their own show, none more so than the Time Lord. The Doctor became a second rate weakling with little to offer while all the essential "heroic" elements of the show you would normally expect to see were glossed over.

This was a showcase of CGI, the best line of the show "This is going to be a PR disaster" came from a second string character and was so badly thrown away, the camera didn't even pick him up saying it. You also don't get new viewers enchanted by the show by constantly expecting the audience to already know 90 percent of the history - it's become so incestuous, even the cavalier attitude shown towards somebody who wanted to know what was going on was dismissed and treated like a child who ought to shut up and accept what was going on.

Hopefully everybody knows who is leaving, imo the two characters who made it bearable. And now they seem to be introducing a COMPLETE CUNT as a new companion.

Can't say more to remain spoiler free.

I'm done with it. I really am. I never thought I'd see the day.

Someone tell me when they see an episode worth watching and I may have a gander.

^^^^^^^^

Going by the previous series, which was complete dog shit, what the fuck was he expecting to watch?

Haven't been keen on it since the doc changed sex. Watched it tonight and thought, nah, it's still not working.  

With this new character coming into it, it most certainly won't work (maybe) but that could be just me.  I can't stand the new guy at the best of times.  No spoiler alert from me, but everybody that watched it, they would have seen who he was in the short clip after it finished. 

Dr Who for inclusion on deathlist 2022? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Dr Who for inclusion on deathlist 2022? 

I'm good with that, trouble is, he'd just re-generate (or, indeed, she would).

Its unfortunate the bad outweighs the good now; too much CGI as YW says, and some of the stories are really weak. I'm also dubious about the forthcoming new companion, but then I 've had doubts about new companions before _Billie Piper 7 Catherine Tate to name but two, but I got used to them. I'll stick with it (yes I'm that sad) and see how it goes. It'll probably still be better than celebrity masked singer on ice or whatever.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, time said:

Its unfortunate the bad outweighs the good now; too much CGI as YW says, and some of the stories are really weak. I'm also dubious about the forthcoming new companion, but then I 've had doubts about new companions before _Billie Piper 7 Catherine Tate to name but two, but I got used to them. I'll stick with it (yes I'm that sad) and see how it goes. It'll probably still be better than celebrity masked singer on ice or whatever.

I'll rely on you to keep me advised then!

Imo Catherine Tate was the best thing to happen - some of the best comedic and tragic moments in recent history. We don't need hugs and kisses or other soap opera - we need adventures, excitement, new worlds, scientific fantasy and fantastic dialogue. From that, heightened moments of tension and emotion can have more effect, I think.

I think you are right that the stories are weak - essentially almost every part of tonight was re-hashed from previous stories, bordering on plagiarism. I felt I was watching previous episodes that had been through a tumble dryer, and come out with fluff and nonsense layered over it.

Acht, others will have loved it in equal measure I'm sure.

Missed it yesterday, I was not even aware that it was on, will there be a repeat at any point soon?

Much of it was practically filling time to stretch I out the episode.

Like having her in prison at the start only so the companions could say they got used to normal life when it would’ve been just as easy to say they missed normal life. 

Or killing off another female British PM.

Or practically everything about that two-but Trump character. 

• Like 1

On 02/01/2021 at 12:07, torbrexbones said:

Missed it yesterday, I was not even aware that it was on, will there be a repeat at any point soon?

They don't usually repeat it but it will be on Iplayer.

• Like 1