msc

Derby Dead Pool 2020

stpeter&paul-01a.jpg

Random picture of Derby.

Entries for the 2020 Derby Dead Pool are now open!

Emails appear to be very slow sending out, if you haven't received one by, idk, tomorrow, let the Cmme know. I'll let our other members introduce themselves below, especially as they are doing the Data Entry bit, so you can shower them with bribes and likes...

Rules are as before, but The Herald newspaper returns as a Qualifying Obit. As do the ITV local pages, which weren't already one on the 2019 list.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

It's been a fun two years but I'm leaving you in much more capable hands now. If there's any delay in the game getting up-and-running in the new year that'll have been my fault for missing some instructions somewhere-or-other.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I’m so ready for next year...

The dead centre of Derby no less.

Hi - I'm the idiot who thought the easy bit would be taking all the entries and entering them into the spreadsheet etc - once that's done in about July though :P (although perhaps I shouldn't joke till I've successfully loaded a few) I get to put my feet up and leave it to the other two.

As I'm going to be seeing everyone's teams and entering them into the spreadsheet I've already sent my team to YW.

Wish us luck (and accuracy and attention to detail and humorous obit writing and a solid IT platform...…)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

I have received my email but had to retrieve it from the spam basket.   Be aware!

Thank you to all concerned in running the DDP, past and present.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Toast said:

I have received my email but had to retrieve it from the spam basket.   Be aware!

Thank you to all concerned in running the DDP, past and present.

Thanks for confirming Toast.

Yeah there's nothing we can do about the treatment of the email at the other end.

I suspect most people's email are in the spam section, as I had to retrieve mine from there...

Can confirm I too found the DDP email neatly tucked in the spam folder.

Best of luck to the new committee; the efforts are much appreciated.

Found mine in my regular mail folder. I guess it has been desensitized by my odd assortment of other interests and lets anything through now. 

xl5QdxfNonh3q.gif

• Haha 4

Yep I have Grim's entry - it's a secret!!!

Just to be sure, I have assured Grim I won't be picking any of his picks. Because I'm lovely.

Right. Bit of news, which explains my more intermittent presence here recently. I'm packing up and moving, so we can sell OldWillz house. Now I may be for a short time without internet connection in any form while it gets ported to my new house. Hopefully I'll be back up and running before Christmas, so there may be delays to updating the Poker Tourney. I move next weekend.

This also means that I may have to submit my DDP teams within the week. I hope that is ok with the game runners however I will try and give many subs as possible in case it's a harsh harsh winter. I would normally be putting my entry in round about the second week of December, but given I need to be sure I can get an internet connection before the New Year and this being the UK, I just want this job out of the way.

It's going to be a late night for me reviewing my TOTP entry!!!!

Good luck to all.

• Like 1

Hello all,

just to inform you, I will be updating the scores throughout the year. My work will start once the new database is complete.

So I will not get to see the teams early, but I will also submit my teams a few days before the end of the deadline, just to avoid any kind of conflict with the competetive players who probably wait until the last minute. I'm currently thinking of submitting on the 28th of December.

As I think about it, I wonder if I can keep up the rolling updates of Spade with the same regularity. I can assure you that there will be several updates per week, but there might also occasionally be two / three days without an update.

I'll just do the technical stuff, and leave msc with the rulings on all critical issues .

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Yes, Grim and Reptile are going to be doing the vital work.

Also, I just twigged this is going to be the 25th DDP competition.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, msc said:

Yes, Grim and Reptile are going to be doing the vital work.

Also, I just twigged this is going to be the 25th DDP competition.

You'll have noticed I design dead pools that don't last too long

UTTER admiration for Grim and GCR:clap:

• Like 3

Thank you new showrunners for running the new show. Fingers crossed its better than the old show (from my point of view).

Thanks Spade for the last two years (and indeed for his predecessors for the preceding years).

I can confirm that my notification email was found where expected, and I'll therefore look in the same place for the final  reminder towards the end of the month.

• Like 1

Thank you msc; looking forward to this!

In before the block.

Got my mail, thank you new folks! :bow:

Thanks to Spade for his exceptional running of the game in the last couple of years and thanks to everyone else who has contributed in the 5 years or so that I have been participating.

I have decided not to field a team in next year's DDP and to stop (or at least dramatically reduce) my interest in deathlisting for the forseeable future.  I have had a couple of great sadnesses in my life in the last couple of weeks.  Firstly my dog died after an operation.  The short story was that he had an operation for a liver problem which went well initially but after about a day he developed serious complications from which he could not recover.  I am absolutely heartbroken.  He was only 17 months old and he was my best friend.

A few days later my uncle committed suicide.  He had some very very serious health problems in 2017 and was in hospital for some months.  At a few points he wasn't expected to live but he pulled through and then lived with my wife and I for about 6 months afterwards.  He had become low dealing with the after-effects of his illness and trying to cope with financial and residential insecurity at the age of 64. 

After these events I have no interest in taking even the smallest amount of joy, pride, or satisfaction out of anyone's death.  I don't feel like spending the last few hours of 2019 trawling the internet to see who might not see out 2020.  I want to spend that time watching cricket, playing bridge and training my new puppy.  I still understand the interest in deathlisting and I certainly do not want to diminish anyone else's enjoyment of the game, I just know that it is not for me at the moment.

Good luck to everyone in the various deadpools.  I will probably check back in time to time-I'll certainly be interested to see who makes the 2020 list and I'll pop back in to congratulate 2019's very worthy DDP champion.  Thanks to everyone who has helped me enjoy the site and especially to those who spend their spare time to make it all possible.

Kindest Regards

Dr T

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

Shame to see you go @Dr_T, but I must congratulate you on an excellent performance of yours in both 2018 and 2019. That’s certainly an achievement if I say so myself...

• Like 1

You'll be missed, Dr T. 

• Like 2

Be well, Dr T, and your presence will be missed. Those are heartbreaking circumstances to deal with and I can't blame you at all for wanting to keep the mind off of death.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your losses @Dr_T, wish you the best. 

• Like 1

@Dr_T sometimes we need to do what needs doin.  You are a good man to recoginse the difference and know what's important presently.  
Do hope to see you return when ready.... and teach me the ropes.  You have the 'it' factor for DDP clearly.  
SC

• Like 1

Take care @Dr_T. Sorry to hear of your losses. Worry not about the DDP, it'll be here as and if you ever feel the wish to return. Focus on whats important in life.

• Like 1

See you around Dr T! Great recent performances, but some things are just more important than this. Get well, do what makes you happy.

• Like 2