Joey Russ

The 2020 Deathlist Cup

So, just a week left to play, and after a blistering start to the tie, all has gone ominously quiet over the past 2 weeks. Suits me just nicely - another week of complete Reaper inactivity will do just fine.

A 7 point lead with a week to go seems healthy at first glance, but if there is anyone capable of mounting a swift late comeback, then I guess Death Impends would be that person. Two unique hits, or Tommy Palmer and one of the younger uniques (Bayh, Draper, Singh, Zanardi) would put me behind. It seems like Singh and Zanardi are out of danger, so hopefully that will narrow down the options.

As for my own team, I cant really see where any more points are coming from, so I guess it is backs to the wall defending for the rest of the tie. Neto and Ali don't appear to have been terribly ill to begin with, and both seem fine now. My other 4 uniques (Sahu, Gohar, Meshref, Kadyrbekova_ seem to have disappeared off the radar completely. No idea if they are alive or dead, sick or recovered, likely scorers or wasted picks. Its like Schrodinger's Cup team.

If DI does come back, I will only have myself to blame. Too many missed opportunities to put the tie to rest. Cordero and Nurmagomedov both dropped from last months team (along with Draper and Singh). Wim Suurbier and Michael Kooge  both on my shortlist for the last couple of months and I didn't pick either. I feel like the manager of the non league team whose players miss chance after chance to score the second goal to seal victory against the Premiership team, only to lose to two sucker punches in added time at the end.

I definitely should be doing better as well. That unique Indian politico you got points with was on my shortlist and heavily considered by me. I mulled over Cordero too. And other shortlisters I discarded after seeming over the worst of it (Moses Costa, Stephen Susman) went on to die anyway. At least I discovered the Swami a few hours before submitting so things could have been a lot worse for me.

I won't say I'm definitely gonna lose though, as I want to keep things fair and seemingly whenever I proclaim this is it for me, half of my team drops dead. :blink:

Honestly, apart from 2019 the cup finals aren’t usually that eventful. 2017 only had 2 hits around the middle of the month (including the deciding hit), and 2018 had two unique hits for DDT and Matt Cappotelli. So, I guess it shouldn’t be too surprising it’s as uneventful as it is...

17 hours ago, Death Impends said:

I won't say I'm definitely gonna lose though, as I want to keep things fair and seemingly whenever I proclaim this is it for me, half of my team drops dead. :blink:

That's very sporting of you DI :lol:

The Covid cases have proven really difficult to judge. Some fairly youngish people who in theory should have survived it, have died. Others like Dingko Singh who have serious other underlying problems have pulled through. Some have battled it for months and pulled through (I thought Cecilia Romo was a certainty for me in the last round), while others like Cordero have seemed to be over the worse and then succumbed. Added to that, reports of someone being admitted to intensive care with it don't seem to have much predictive value, as some seem to be admitted with fairly mild cases (hence my picks of Neto and Ali). It has made it a bit of a lottery picking the Covid patients. Give me a cancer patient being admitted to a hospice any day of the week!

On 01/07/2020 at 01:00, Joey Russ said:

Finals Masterlist: 

1. Bullet Bob Armstrong - Death Impends 

2. Frankie Banali - Death Impends 

3. Susan Bayh - Death Impends 

4. Bishnu Das - An Fear Beag 

5. Krsnanandini Devi Dasi - Death Impends  

6. Derek Draper - Death Impends 

7. Ahmed Gohar - An Fear Beag 

8. Asel Kadyrbekova - An Fear Beag 

9. Gail Klock - Death Impends, An Fear Beag 

10. Abdallah Meshref - An Fear Beag 

11. Arthur Neto - An Fear Beag 

12. Tommy Palmer - Death Impends*, An Fear Beag 

13. Abdel Rahim Ali - An Fear Beag 

14. Georg Ratzinger - Death Impends, An Fear Beag 

15. Deepa Sahu - An Fear Beag 

16. Dingko Singh - Death Impends 

17. Bhakti Charu Swami - Death Impends, An Fear Beag*

18. Alex Zanardi - Death Impends 

Deepa Sahu dead at 35.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, drol said:

Deepa Sahu dead at 35.

Some people are on the pitch...

6 minutes ago, msc said:

Some people are on the pitch...

A quote from your favourite football match msc? :P

• Shocked 1

It looking like there is going to be a first in the cup, ie the rookie of the year actually going on to win the cup. And, er, I apologize to Death Impends for being bridesmaided again. Not my fault that he got stuck with that role many times before. :D 

1. Death Impends vs An Fear Beag 6 - 17

And just like that, the cup has officially ended. Where has all this time gone? 
There were 42 competitors who wanted to win the cup, and believe me when I say that there were plenty of awesome matches done throughout the tournament. However, 41 folk despite wanting to win it unfortunately fell short of the ultimate prize. That’s okay though, there’s always next year: 149C9D9E-F86B-47C7-BC75-B1926DBFF0B5.png.61a27b21a6c3207f6c5bf97a92b95c06.png

One person, however, ended up winning it all. This person even said that their research skills are a bit insufficient when he joined the cup, and just hoped to make it to the next round. Not only did he make it past further into the cup than anticipated, he ended up winning the whole bloody thing. So, after giving the host so many panic attacks by turning stuff in super close to the deadline and beating legends such as Death Impends, Clorox, DeathByArsenic, YoungWillz, alt obits guy, and markb4, I officially congratulate An Fear Beag as the winner of the 2020 Deathlist Cup. 

FBD4D07D-782A-424C-8E54-2F8CC3ECCA28.png.10c797c0c367eb1bc671199056f68bbc.png

Thank you all for participating and hopefully the cup will be running next year. :) 

• Like 4

Well done @An Fear Beag, my congratulations from the guy that gave you your hardest game. :lol:

That's probably not true, but hell, it's always good to go out to the victor.

:clap:

Well done @An Fear Beag

@An Fear Beag, that was a blinding performance. Good to see a rookie win, and win well. :bow:

Congratulations! :party:

My intention was to be an interim host to make sure the cup didn’t die out because it really is a great competition. So now the plan is hoping that someone is willing to take over the cup and run it a bit more long term. 
If someone doesn’t host this time around I would be willing to host one more cup in 2021, BUT THAT’S IT. This isn’t something that I really want to do for the long term, especially when I’m at a stage in my life where I’m finally figuring out what I really want to do with my life. And well, the last 24 - 48 hours of an entry period can really take my focus away from other important things I need to focus on at times. That’s why I prefer hosting crowdsource entry btw, the only really stressful time is around the point in a year where there isn’t really much to do and the rest of the year you only need to write obits when the picks actually dies. 
Anyways, here’s hoping someone is able to take over as a more permanent host, and if not I am willing to host one more season, but that’s it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers for hosting Roey, good job man.

I did say at the start of this that I'd offer to host next year but it's looking like that ain't gonna feasibly work, or at least certainly not on my own - my work life will not be scaling back for another couple of years, plus I do have a (little) project in the works that'll hopefully see the light of day on here later this year (though it won't be labour-intensive like this, I'm hoping!)

I'm sure none of us would be willing to see this format die, it's one of the best, so whatever happens, even if we had more than one host, I'm sure this will continue for years to come.

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 00:00, Joey Russ said:

FBD4D07D-782A-424C-8E54-2F8CC3ECCA28.png.10c797c0c367eb1bc671199056f68bbc.png

Thank you all for participating and hopefully the cup will be running next year. :) 

:champagne::champagne::champagne:

Sorry that I am late to the party - just back from a week-long family camping holiday in the rain  :angry2:. This has cheered me up no end though - I'm well chuffed. My wife has just asked me why I am suddenly all smiley - not quite sure how to explain the joy of winning a Deadpool!!

Thanks Joey for running such a superb contest all year. Apologies for all of the last minute teams - some of it was work, some of it was laziness, and some was trying to get a last minute edge. Not that it helped at all - the only last minute thing I did was to take out a few good picks :facepalm:. It seems like a near impossible job to run a pool like this one, but you have done a cracking job of it. Thanks again.

• Like 2

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 00:02, YoungWillz said:

Well done @An Fear Beag, my congratulations from the guy that gave you your hardest game. :lol:

That's probably not true, but hell, it's always good to go out to the victor.

:clap:

Thanks Willz. As I bask in the glory of winning, I must remember that I was just a Frank Ifield hit away from being knocked out :lol:

• Haha 1

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 00:33, Death Impends said:

Congrats on the win An Fear Beag. Well deserved :clap:

Thanks DI, and thanks for a good game at the end. Msc said to me at the start that luck was needed to win this competition - that even the strongest of opponents could have an off month. I certainly think I got lucky in the final - most other rounds you would have squonked me!

No doubt Joey will rig it  luck will see that we meet in the first round next year, so you will have your chance of revenge!!

• Like 2

Yes, as well as well done AFB, well done Joey - this entertaining game can be a nightmare to run and he pulled it off very well.