msc

9. Noam Chomsky

Seen this pop up a couple of times on social media today - thanks for reminding dead poolers of lingering talent, Rishi!

374585264_10167927165880374_908760426793

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

New video; sounds sharp

There are many better candidates for 2024.

After years of you telling us to get him on the list. Are you ever fucking consistent? 

On 10/11/2020 at 20:50, The Daredevil said:

I feel as though Noam Chomsky, Carlos Menem, Rush Limbaugh, Glynis Johns and Robert Fyfe are all debut musts for the 2021 DL. 

On 13/12/2020 at 22:01, The Daredevil said:

Good recommendations. All I would suggest is swapping Stanley Baxter with Trevor Peacock, Rolf Harris with Jiang Zemin, Queen Elizabeth II with Noam Chomsky and Gene Hackman with André Maranne. 

On 12/10/2022 at 08:59, The Daredevil said:

Angela’s sad demise leaves her position open for Noam Chomsky to return on the 2023 DL.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

After years of you telling us to get him on the list

On 21/09/2022 at 21:08, The Daredevil said:

Chomsky looks like a safe drop for 2023,

On 31/12/2022 at 17:47, The Daredevil said:

If I was the Committee I’d drop him next year.

1 minute ago, The Daredevil said:

Erm…so you said “safe drop”, then “Noam for 2023” less than a month later?

11 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

After years of you telling us to get him on the list. Are you ever fucking consistent? 

The Daredevil has recommended more people for deathlisting than Stalin.

• Like 1

A friend of mine who is a contact of Chomsky professionally over email correspondence for a number of years states he is currently ill and inaccessible and he doesn't expect him to live much longer.Make of that what you will.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

The last video of him I could find is from July... suspicious, he made frequent appearances.

If he doesn't comment on Kissinger's death = dead within weeks

No appearances and no comments for his 95th birthday? If this is the case there's very few time left.

• Like 3

This would be the 5th drop of 2022 to die in 2023.

We'd be having quite the record breaking year indeed.

2 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

This would be the 5th drop of 2022 to die in 2023.

We'd be having quite the record breaking year indeed.

I already consider Chomsky a stupid ommission. As for James Whale. If one of them die this year, they would have been a miss. Like Kaczyinski. The other 3 were not misses for me. Sandra Day O Connor was also a miss : should and could have been on the list several times considering her age, fame and illness. Comparable to Nichelle Nichols back in 2022. 

• Like 4

His lack of comment in recent weeks is leading to a fair bit of speculation as can be seen by the comments on this video.

No recent interviews about the Palestinian crisis and no reported reaction to Kissengers death.Very suspicious. Looks like my friend who knows him may well be right.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Sean said:

His lack of comment in recent weeks is leading to a fair bit of speculation as can be seen by the comments on this video.

No recent interviews about the Palestinian crisis and no reported reaction to Kissengers death.Very suspicious. Looks like my friend who knows him may well be right.

I sense some Ratzinger vibe here : huge miss on New Year's eve…

I just hope this won't be another Pope Benedict XVI scenario. If he makes it to 2024, I trust that he'll be included no matter what. Sir David Attenborough, who turns 98 in May, also needs to be brought back. Both are far safer picks than Alan Alda and Robert Wagner, in my opinion.

• Like 3

He is a good name for the top 10 and along with Whale the most obvious returnee.

Noam Chomsky's long-time MIT assistant, Bev Stohl, recently posted an update on Reddit. The main takeaway is that he suffered a medical event last June and has been recovering since. We'll apparently know more about his prognosis soon. The wording (e.g., "He's still with us") isn't great, but it doesn't sound like his death is imminent, either.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Reading between the lines he seems to have lost the ability to speak, so I presume it was a massive stroke.

Seems rather a miracle he survived. At 95 and in those conditions he is surely on his way out anyway.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, drol said:

Reading between the lines he seems to have lost the ability to speak, so I presume it was a massive stroke.

Seems rather a miracle he survived. At 95 and in those conditions he is surely on his way out anyway.

A blessing for the rest of us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

well, that explains the lack of a reaction to Kissinger's death. Bev Stohl's Reddit comments also say this happened some time after Daniel Ellsberg's death, so latter half of June 2023 it seems like

• Like 1

Latest according to Bev Stohl

"Noam has not made significant progress, I’m sorry to say. I doubt he will be able to return to the public eye, as he is not communicating much if at all. At 95, his natural aging process is also a factor. His body is tired. I will continue to keep you posted as I learn more. Thank you all for caring. Bev"

• Like 19
  • Sad 3