Miracle Aligner

Football Manager Sacking Bingo 2

2 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Roy Hodgson is a hit for MA/D and I.

(Note although he is shown as no 21 on my list on the masterlist Paul Cook at no 7 never made it to the start line so Hodgson was in fact my no 20).

Very underappreciated manager IMO, has done very well to keep a bang average Palace squad in midtable for the last several seasons. Watch them go down next year.

And watch them reach out to Big Sam and/or Neil Warnock in their desperation

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

And watch them reach out to Big Sam and/or Neil Warnock in their desperation

They could do worse than Nigel Pearson 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

They could do worse than Nigel Pearson 

Actually a seasoned campaigner who cut his managerial teeth at Carlisle (he was the guy in charge the day our on-loan goalie scored the stoppage time goal that kept us in the Football League in 1999)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Actually a seasoned campaigner who cut his managerial teeth at Carlisle (he was the guy in charge the day our on-loan goalie scored the stoppage time goal that kept us in the Football League in 1999)

I think he should have a fair amount  of the credit  for Leicester's Premier League victory. It started with the astonishing run to save us from relegation the previous season. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Your dads fuckbuddy said:

Or Steve McClaren

Ah yes, a mere youngster amongst the veterans (60 a few weeks back), and not greatly burdened with a high-profile post at present (apologies to anyone who thinks technical director of Derby County amounts to a notable pinnacle of football employment!)

• Haha 1

Doesn't look as if anyone had Nuno Espirito Santo.

Always seemed like a nice honest guy in interviews

Will be interesting to see how they do next year if they get an English manager and some of the Portuguese internationals leave. They've been pretty average since November without Jiminez.

Think there are a number of teams in mid-table who could struggle next year - Palace without Hodgson, Villa if Grealish leaves, Wolves without Nuno, Southampton (poor without a fit Ings), maybe Leeds if they get a bad case of 2nd season syndrome a la Sheffield United this year (Leeds have overperformed massively with a pretty average bunch of players IMO and are going to finish pretty much where SUFC did last year).

• Like 2

With the League 2 play-off final today, the season is just about over, although some clubs are probably still finalising their decisions, but nevertheless, now seems a good time for an update (it's what I was waiting for anyway!).

Hits mentioned here (13): Eddie Howe (Bournemouth - mutual consent), Russ Wilcox (Southend - new manager confirmed), Hayden Mullins (Watford - new manager confirmed), Mark Molesley (Weymouth - moved to new club), Sabri Lamouchi (Nottingham Forest - sacked), Garry Monk (Sheffield Wednesday - sacked), Philip Cocu (Derby - sacked), Slaven Bilic (West Ham - sacked), Frank Lampard (Chelsea - sacked), Bradley Quinton (Welling - sacked), Darrell Clarke (Walsall - moved to new club), Chris Wilder (Sheffield United - sacked), Alex Neil (Preston - sacked), Roy Hodgson (Crystal Palace - end of contract)

Also hits (10): Gerhard Struber (Barnsley - moved to new club), Mark Bowen (Reading - resigned), Mark Kennedy (Macclesfield - resigned), Richie Wellens (Swindon - moved to new club), Stuart McCall (Bradford - sacked), Joey Barton (Fleetwood - sacked), John Askey (Port Vale - sacked), Neil Harris (Cardiff - sacked), Paul Lambert (Ipswich - sacked), Lee Bowyer (Charlton - resigned)

Misses (27): Paul Cook (Wigan - resigned), Graham Coughlan (Mansfield - sacked), Michael Jackson (Tranmere - new manager confirmed), John Sheridan (Wigan - moved to new club [technically ineligible for this game though]), Ben Garner (Bristol Rovers - sacked), Sam Ricketts (Shrewsbury - sacked), Phil Parkinson (Sunderland - sacked), David Dunn (Barrow - sacked), Vladimir Ivic (Watford - sacked [ineligible]), Ian Holloway (Grimsby - resigned), Tony Pulis (Sheffield Wednesday - sacked [ineligible]), Jake Buxton (Burton Albion - sacked), Glyn Hodges (AFC Wimbledon - sacked), Jason Tindall (Bournemouth - sacked [ineligible]), Keith Curle (Northampton - sacked), Paul Tisdale (Bristol Rovers - sacked [ineligible]), Dean Holden (Bristol City - sacked), Michael Jolley (Barrow - sacked [ineligible]), Steve Ball (Colchester - sacked), Ross Embleton (Leyton Orient - sacked), Darren Moore (Doncaster - moved to new club), Harry Kewell (Oldham - sacked), Kenny Jackett (Portsmouth - sacked), Aitor Karanka (Birmingham - sacked), Richie Wellens (Salford - mutual consent [ineligible]), Mark Molesley (Southend - sacked [ineligible]), Mark Cooper (Forest Green - sacked), John Sheridan (Swindon - sacked [ineligible]), Jose Mourinho (Tottenham - sacked), Gary Bowyer (Salford - return to Derby [ineligible]), Brian Dutton (Walsall - sacked [ineligible]), Conor Sellars and Mark Trueman (Bradford joint managers - sacked [ineligible]), Keith Hill (Tranmere - sacked [ineligible]), Nuno Espirito Santo (Wolves - mutual consent), Sam Allardyce (West Brom - end of contract [ineligible])

Current leaderboard:

@RoverAndOut - 12 (Howe, Monk, Mullins, Cocu, Lamouchi, Wilcox, Kennedy, McCall, Bilic, Barton, Lambert, Bowyer)

@Great Uncle Bulgaria - 10 (Howe, Mullins, Cocu, Molesley, Askey, Quinton, Clarke, Lambert, Bowyer, Hodgson)

@BuffaloPhil - 9 (Cocu, Struber, Lamouchi, Bowen, Wellens, Bilic, Barton, Bowyer, Neil)

@msc - 7 (Howe, Struber, Lamouchi, Lampard, Lambert, Bowyer, Hodgson)

@Miracle Aligner - 6 (Howe, Monk, Harris, Lampard, Wilder, Hodgson)

Another single success month, despite all the changes that seem to have happened as the season wrapped up, for msc and Miracle Aligner with Roy Hodgson. Mainly, this was because most of the other changes were ineligible due to the clubs having already changed manager once this season! I'll post again shortly with a rundown of who we've still got left standing and what their prospects currently look like (to the best of my knowledge!).

EDITED: Updated Great Uncle Bulgaria too, as I failed to notice that his original pick Paul Cook didn't make the starting line, so Roy got in as pick #21!

• Like 1

Ok, so here's how the teams stand after a season:

Rover and Out

1. Dean Smith (Aston Villa) - after last season's bare survival (thanks to *that* Sheffield United non-goal), I expected more struggles this time around but another big spending spree has seen an improvement (Martinez has been a predictably inspired signing). Will the progress continue into 21/22?

2. Sabri Lamouchi (Nottingham Forest)

3. Phillip Cocu (Derby County)

4. Joey Barton (Fleetwood Town)

5. Paul Warne (Rotherham United) - another change of league for Rotherham and a visibly devastated Warne refused to make a kneejerk decision on his future after the last match. Is he up for another promotion campaign or is it time to step back?

6. Marcelo Bielsa (Leeds United) - I felt the temperamental Argentine may self combust in a difficult first season back in the Premier League, but Leeds have been surprisingly successful with their inconsistent performances, ending up in the top half. They seem to be prime candidates for Second Season Syndrome, though and I have a feeling Bielsa is set for a surprise exit at any point (he never signs for more than a season...)

7. Slaven Bilic (West Brom)

8. Lee Bowyer (Charlton Athletic)

9. Grant McCann (Hull City) - hated by Hull fans, a bad start to 20/21 was surely curtains for McCann, but it didn't come! Coasted to promotion back to the Championship at the first attempt, now can he keep them there and show he's made progress at this level? If this season's anything like his last time in the Championship, I can't see Hull giving him long.

10. Daniel Farke (Norwich City) - fancied Norwich to struggle a bit back in the Championship and that Farke would make an exit but another side that bounced straight back, so similar questions to McCann, can he keep them up? And if not, do Norwich pull the trigger this time to try and save themselves?

11. Hayden Mullins (Watford)

12. Carlos Corberan (Huddersfield Town) - felt like this was a classic "Number 2 steps up only to fail" scenario, but, incredibly at Christmas Huddersfield gave Corberan an extended contract to the end of 23/24 when they sat 12th. They finished 20th, 6 points clear of the drop zone and were absolutely woeful against my team Blackburn, losing 5-2 in our second-to-last home game of the season. Maybe next season it will click, otherwise, that's a big pay out.

13. Garry Monk (Sheffield Wednesday)

14. Neil Warnock (Middlesbrough) - been trying to remember why I put him in, as he's unlikely to quit and unlikely to struggle. Perhaps I assumed he would get bored and walk away. Might still happen, and I'm not sure he'll get 'Boro promoted.

15. Russ Wilcox (Scunthorpe United)

16. Mark Kennedy (Macclesfield Town)

17. Paul Lambert (Ipswich Town)

18. Sean Dyche (Burnley) - assumed he'd quit due to the uncertainty last summer, or that he'd be poached by someone else but, unsurprisingly, nobody fancied him. There's talk of him going to Palace, maybe he'll get investment from the new Burnley owners and stop around, but he's been there forever and something needs to change at some point soon.

19. Eddie Howe (Bournemouth)

20. Stuart McCall (Bradford City)

Great Uncle Bulgaria

Eddie Howe (Bournemouth)

2 Dean Smith (Aston Villa) - see Rover and Out

3 Hayden Mullins (Watford)

4 Daniel Farke (Norwich) - see Rover and Out

5 Tony Mowbray (Blackburn Rovers) - my team. Not the success we were hoping for this season, and the fans are getting restless but the owners have faith in Mowbray and accept the difficulties of the Covid season. But if there's not significant improvement next season, I suspect his time may be up.

6 Paul Warne (Rotherham) - see Rover and Out

7 Paul Cook (Wigan) DNS

8 Lee Bowyer (Charlton Athletic)

9 Paul Lambert (Ipswich Town)

10 John Askey (Port Vale)

11 Darrell Clarke (Walsall)

12 Grant McCann (Hull City) - see Rover and Out

13 Ryan Lowe (Plymouth Argyle) - perhaps GUB expected them to struggle back in League One, but Lowe kept the Pilgrims up and has signed a new contract until 2024, so unless they get into difficulty, I suspect he'll be staying a while longer.

14 Steve Bruce (Newcastle United) - I'm sure this was expected to be a success at some point. The fans hate him and they flirted with relegation until March, but an astonishing end saw them finish 12th, miles clear of a woeful bottom 3. With fans back next season, will they do well enough to keep the mob at bay? Joe Willock is surely a key part of that equation.

15 Philippe Cocu (Derby County)

16 Mark Molesley (Weymouth)

17 Paul Doswell (Havant and Waterlooville) - I must profess I know very little about the non-league game. A risky pick given the possibility that Covid would curtail the season again (which it did), when they were mid-table with multiple games in hand (they'd only played 14 to some teams' 19).

18 Bradley Quinton (Welling)

19 Hakan Heyrettin (Maidstone) - similar story to Havant & W. Maidstone had only played 13 games and sat 2 places further down the Conference South when the season was cancelled.

20 Danny Bloor (Eastbourne) - Eastbourne were going well, 3rd in the Conference South at shutdown, having played all 19 games. Did GUB think he might get poached by someone bigger? It's not happened yet...

21 Roy Hodgson (Crystal Palace)

Buffalo Phil

1. Daniel Farke - see Rover and Out

2. Steve Bruce - see Great Uncle Bulgaria

3. Gerhard Struber

4. Tony Mowbray - see Great Uncle Bulgaria

5. Phillip Cocu

6. Grant McCann - see Rover and Out

7. Sabri Lamouchi

8. Alex Neil

9. Mark Warburton - has been under some pressure at QPR but ridden out the criticism and finished 9th. If the board expect a play off push next season, will failure to achieve that see his end, or are their ambitions less lofty than that?

10. Mark Bowen

11. Slaven Bilic

12.  Pep Guardiola - this seemed speculative in all honesty! Did Phil think that he'd had enough? That seemed a possibility after a poor start to the season, but they responded as you'd expect, won 2 trophies, including regaining their Premier League crown and lost to Chelsea in the FA Cup semis and the Champions League final. Will he stay until he makes City Champions of Europe or is it next season or bust for Pep?

13. Paul Warne - see Rover and Out

14. Joey Barton

15. Michael Duff - well this was a turnup for the books! Little Cheltenham only went and won League Two! Seems unlikely they'll sack him next season, unless it's a horror show.

16. Richie Wellens

17. Dean Smith - see Rover and Out

18. Darren Ferguson - Take 3 in the Peterborough hot seat and once more he's got them promoted back to the Championship. Can he keep them there and, if not, will he be leaving once more to await his 4th stint in the job?

19. Lee Bowyer

20. David Artell - presumably Phil tipped Crewe to struggle in League 1, but they did well, finishing 12th, 8 points off the play offs and a whopping 19 clear of the drop zone. Anything similar will surely see him safe for now.

msc

1 Roy Hodgson - Palace
2. Dean Smith - Villa - see Rover and Out
3. Ralph Hassenhuttl - Southampton - this seems perfectly feasible after a poor end to this season and a second 9-0 thrashing in 2 seasons. Seems like a good bloke and a decent manager but they need more consistency and to put all the pieces together to be more successful. If they start badly, I can see him getting the boot.
4. Pep Guardiola - Man City - see Buffalo Phil

5. Frank Lampard - Chelsea
6. Eddie Howe - Bournemouth
7. Gerhard Struber - Barnsley
8. Sabri Lamouchi - N Forest

9. Daniel Farke - Norwich - see Rover and Out
10. Russell Martin - MK Dons - barely survived last season but much improved this season, probably against msc's expectations. Only 9 points away from the League One play offs. A promotion push next season? Or, if they struggle, could it be curtains this time?
11. Grant McCann - Hull - see Rover and Out
12. Paul Lambert - Ipswich
13. Lee Bowyer - Charlton

14. Chris Beech - Carlisle - finished 7 points adrift of the League Two play offs, much improved from last season. Perhaps msc was expecting another relegation fight? Or perhaps that he'd end up somewhere else? He said in January he had no interest in jumping ship.
15. Michael Duff - Cheltenham - see Buffalo Phil
16. Steven Gerrard - Rangers - was this wishful thinking (I should know your allegiance msc, but it's passed me by!). A first SPL title in a decade and he's the new messiah. He'll only go for something bigger (does that mean waiting 'til Klopp goes?)
17. James McPake - Dundee - my knowledge of Scottish football isn't much better than my knowledge of non-league to be honest. But I know they beat Kilmarnock to get promoted to the SPL so he's in the good books at the moment. Seems like he's had some off-field issues from a few headlines on Google? Is that why he was expected to go?
18. Brian Reid - Albion Rovers - no idea. Looks like they were in trouble at Christmas but finished 7th out of 10 and well clear of relegation. Same again next season?
19. Ian McCall - Partick fn Thistle - more wishful thinking? Promoted as champions of Scottish League One and McCall is claiming they need to push for promotion from the Championship next season! Would a relegation battle see him out the door?
20. Steve Bruce - Newcastle - see Great Uncle Bulgaria

Miracle Aligner

1. Eddie Howe (Bournemouth)
2. Sean Dyche (Burnley) - see Rover and Out
3. Paul Warne (Rotherham) - see Rover and Out
4. John Coleman (Accrington) - a club legend. Can't see him being sacked until he's ready to retire. Took Accrington to just 7 points shy of the League One play offs on one of the smallest budgets in the league. They could even make a promotion push next season!
5. Daniel Farke (Norwich) - see Rover and Out
6. Grant McCann (Hull) - see Rover and Out
7. Nathan Jones (Luton) - the second coming has gone pretty well. Barely survived on his return last season, but top half finish this time. Continued stability will mean he's fine, I can even see him potentially surviving a relegation, and as for being poached - he's already tried that once and it didn't work out, would he risk it again?
8. Graham Potter (Brighton) - much admired for the job he's doing and Brighton know they've got a good one. Could he be an outside pick for the Spurs job or another Premier League role if it became available (maybe Southampton?) Needs to get Brighton scoring more of the chances they create though if they're going to be more comfortable in the Premier League.
9. Steve Bruce (Newcastle) - see Great Uncle Bulgaria
10. Roy Hodgson (Crystal Palace)
11. Gary Rowett (Millwall) - not as close to the play offs as last season but still backed by the club and ambitious. Birmingham haven't been as close to promotion since they sacked him.

12. Carlo Ancelotti (Everton) - will the early season optimism that petered out have dented his interest in the challenge? Or will it make him more determined to see the project through? Would Everton really sack a manager of Ancelotti's standing even if they're still in mid-table next season? Seems more likely it will be him walking away or a mutual decision, but not before the end of next season I'd suspect.

13. David Moyes (West Ham) - well who would have expected it? Back to his Everton best and has taken a floundering West Ham team into Europe. Looks secure for the foreseeable.
14. Neil Warnock (Middlesbrough) - see Rover and Out
15. Neil Harris (Cardiff)
16. Russell Martin (MK Dons) - see msc
17. Gary Monk (Sheffield Wednesday)
18. Chris Wilder (Sheffield United)
19. Frank Lampard (Chelsea)
20. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (Man United) - an improved league finish, a first cup final, but a defeat to a side that had never won a trophy before and some of the fans have had enough. How much longer can Solskjaer claim to be rebuilding and improving? Do they need to challenge for the title next season or would a cup be enough?

Any other thoughts or opinions more than welcome, especially by those who know more than me about some of the more obscure picks. Definitely some surprises as to who's gone and who's still in post but I think it really is still up for grabs. There's a few of mine I'm not certain are going any time soon...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

msc

1 Roy Hodgson - Palace
2. Dean Smith - Villa - see Rover and Out
3. Ralph Hassenhuttl - Southampton - this seems perfectly feasible after a poor end to this season and a second 9-0 thrashing in 2 seasons. Seems like a good bloke and a decent manager but they need more consistency and to put all the pieces together to be more successful. If they start badly, I can see him getting the boot.
4. Pep Guardiola - Man City - see Buffalo Phil

5. Frank Lampard - Chelsea
6. Eddie Howe - Bournemouth
7. Gerhard Struber - Barnsley
8. Sabri Lamouchi - N Forest

9. Daniel Farke - Norwich - see Rover and Out
10. Russell Martin - MK Dons - barely survived last season but much improved this season, probably against msc's expectations. Only 9 points away from the League One play offs. A promotion push next season? Or, if they struggle, could it be curtains this time?
11. Grant McCann - Hull - see Rover and Out
12. Paul Lambert - Ipswich
13. Lee Bowyer - Charlton

14. Chris Beech - Carlisle - finished 7 points adrift of the League Two play offs, much improved from last season. Perhaps msc was expecting another relegation fight? Or perhaps that he'd end up somewhere else? He said in January he had no interest in jumping ship.
15. Michael Duff - Cheltenham - see Buffalo Phil
16. Steven Gerrard - Rangers - was this wishful thinking (I should know your allegiance msc, but it's passed me by!). A first SPL title in a decade and he's the new messiah. He'll only go for something bigger (does that mean waiting 'til Klopp goes?)
17. James McPake - Dundee - my knowledge of Scottish football isn't much better than my knowledge of non-league to be honest. But I know they beat Kilmarnock to get promoted to the SPL so he's in the good books at the moment. Seems like he's had some off-field issues from a few headlines on Google? Is that why he was expected to go?
18. Brian Reid - Albion Rovers - no idea. Looks like they were in trouble at Christmas but finished 7th out of 10 and well clear of relegation. Same again next season?
19. Ian McCall - Partick fn Thistle - more wishful thinking? Promoted as champions of Scottish League One and McCall is claiming they need to push for promotion from the Championship next season! Would a relegation battle see him out the door?
20. Steve Bruce - Newcastle - see Great Uncle Bulgaria

The survivors. Dean Smith now seems quite safe at Villa unless he gets a promotion to another club. Hassenhuttl wont be sacked but is doing as well as anyone can at Saints so how much longer does he want to stay there? Guardiola tends to do 3-4 years then needs a break, hes been at City 5 years now so a sudden exit wouldn't shock. Farke surprised me. So did MK Dons, annoyingly. Carlisle I listened to one of Maryports more depressed posts on football. Gerrard? I assumed he'd either quit or get poached. He's safe until he wants to go now though. McPake - Dundee were a complete mess and prone to sacking managers, their sudden promotion push caught me by surprise. Albion Rovers seemed like a good bet for the bottom spot in the league if Brechin improved, but instead Brechin were fucking shite. 

Steve Bruce is a useless man (imo) who you just can't get rid of.

As for Thistle we were in a complete mess and I'm not a big fan of Ian "glass half empty, and also smashed into little bits" McCall, so he seemed like a good candidate to walk, but I never saw us going on the best run of form in a decade to climb to 1st place in the last month of the season. We're not really a sacking club and that'll buy him more time. He's also a big Thistle fan, so if he can knuckle down and win another promotion I will gladly accept it. :D

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

12. Carlo Ancelotti (Everton) - will the early season optimism that petered out have dented his interest in the challenge? Or will it make him more determined to see the project through? Would Everton really sack a manager of Ancelotti's standing even if they're still in mid-table next season? Seems more likely it will be him walking away or a mutual decision, but not before the end of next season I'd suspect.

Well that was another inspired prediction. :facepalm: Ancelotti has re-signed as Real Madrid manager. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57319559

I should've guessed with all these big jobs available this summer, someone would take a punt on the guy with experience who was probably easy to poach.

On 31/05/2021 at 23:13, RoverAndOut said:

Great Uncle Bulgaria

Eddie Howe (Bournemouth)

2 Dean Smith (Aston Villa) - see Rover and Out

3 Hayden Mullins (Watford)

4 Daniel Farke (Norwich) - see Rover and Out

5 Tony Mowbray (Blackburn Rovers) - my team. Not the success we were hoping for this season, and the fans are getting restless but the owners have faith in Mowbray and accept the difficulties of the Covid season. But if there's not significant improvement next season, I suspect his time may be up.

6 Paul Warne (Rotherham) - see Rover and Out

7 Paul Cook (Wigan) DNS

8 Lee Bowyer (Charlton Athletic)

9 Paul Lambert (Ipswich Town)

10 John Askey (Port Vale)

11 Darrell Clarke (Walsall)

12 Grant McCann (Hull City) - see Rover and Out

13 Ryan Lowe (Plymouth Argyle) - perhaps GUB expected them to struggle back in League One, but Lowe kept the Pilgrims up and has signed a new contract until 2024, so unless they get into difficulty, I suspect he'll be staying a while longer.

14 Steve Bruce (Newcastle United) - I'm sure this was expected to be a success at some point. The fans hate him and they flirted with relegation until March, but an astonishing end saw them finish 12th, miles clear of a woeful bottom 3. With fans back next season, will they do well enough to keep the mob at bay? Joe Willock is surely a key part of that equation.

15 Philippe Cocu (Derby County)

16 Mark Molesley (Weymouth)

17 Paul Doswell (Havant and Waterlooville) - I must profess I know very little about the non-league game. A risky pick given the possibility that Covid would curtail the season again (which it did), when they were mid-table with multiple games in hand (they'd only played 14 to some teams' 19).

18 Bradley Quinton (Welling)

19 Hakan Heyrettin (Maidstone) - similar story to Havant & W. Maidstone had only played 13 games and sat 2 places further down the Conference South when the season was cancelled.

20 Danny Bloor (Eastbourne) - Eastbourne were going well, 3rd in the Conference South at shutdown, having played all 19 games. Did GUB think he might get poached by someone bigger? It's not happened yet...

21 Roy Hodgson (Crystal Palace)

Don't disagree with too many of your assessments re mine.

Both Norwich and Hull went down easily (the 'Jenna Jameson approach') and wasn't expecting either to bounce back so quickly. Both will have credit in the bank now.

Paul Warne has now gone down twice in 3 years (not the Jenna Jameson approach) and - good manager that he is - don't think anyone could keep that Rotherham squad in the championship, must be disillusioning trying. He deserves a go at something better.

Dean Smith/Villa will struggle if Grealish goes. if he has a good Euros someone will be in for him.

Ryan Lowe/Plymouth had an abysmal end to the season (think they lost their penultimate game 0-6 at home) , start the next one in similar vein and he'll be toast (no, not that one)

The 3 surviving non-leaguers will all have expected to have been in the playoffs at least and wasn't convinced any of them had the squads to do that comfortably. Given what's gone on at that level this year most clubs will be starting almost from scratch though and the managers will probably all be given a bit of time to bed in, so no likely early hits there.

• Like 1

On 31/05/2021 at 23:32, msc said:

The survivors. Dean Smith now seems quite safe at Villa unless he gets a promotion to another club. Hassenhuttl wont be sacked but is doing as well as anyone can at Saints so how much longer does he want to stay there? Guardiola tends to do 3-4 years then needs a break, hes been at City 5 years now so a sudden exit wouldn't shock. Farke surprised me. So did MK Dons, annoyingly. Carlisle I listened to one of Maryports more depressed posts on football. Gerrard? I assumed he'd either quit or get poached. He's safe until he wants to go now though. McPake - Dundee were a complete mess and prone to sacking managers, their sudden promotion push caught me by surprise. Albion Rovers seemed like a good bet for the bottom spot in the league if Brechin improved, but instead Brechin were fucking shite. 

Steve Bruce is a useless man (imo) who you just can't get rid of.

As for Thistle we were in a complete mess and I'm not a big fan of Ian "glass half empty, and also smashed into little bits" McCall, so he seemed like a good candidate to walk, but I never saw us going on the best run of form in a decade to climb to 1st place in the last month of the season. We're not really a sacking club and that'll buy him more time. He's also a big Thistle fan, so if he can knuckle down and win another promotion I will gladly accept it. :D

Dean Smith did a very good job at Brentford. Thomas Frank has done even better even after Smith signed Watkins. Farke is idolised by the Norwich board and the fans. Bruce had a long injury list for most of last season.

Gerrard will stay at the Huns until Klopp leaves Liverpool. McCall's comments about a board meeting (in an interview after winning the League) suggested that he was close to being sacked after the East Fife game. I wish Brechin, after escaping relegation in 2020 with a dodgy SPFL fix, a speedy liquidation in Highland League obscurity.

When do I submit next season's list?

Aye, as a close season sweepstake how about we guess how many managers will turn down Spurs and how long it'll take them to snag someone. 

32 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, as a close season sweepstake how about we guess how many managers will turn down Spurs and how long it'll take them to snag someone. 

They're so desperate I'm 12th on their current shortlist. I wasn't too worried about that until I saw Iain was in 11th spot...

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, msc said:

They're so desperate I'm 12th on their current shortlist. I wasn't too worried about that until I saw Iain was in 11th spot...

It'll be a priceless moment when the lucky new manager - likely facing a future without Harry Kane - comes out and grins for the media claiming he's always wanted the job and has what it takes to build on the last few years, and Spurs claim he's the one they always wanted. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

It'll be a priceless moment when the lucky new manager - likely facing a future without Harry Kane - comes out and grins for the media claiming he's always wanted the job and has what it takes to build on the last few years, and Spurs claim he's the one they always wanted. 

If Klinsmann's telling the truth that he's really interested in the job, I can't understand why Levy isn't biting his hand off. Decent track record as a manager, albeit at international level, good opportunity to test himself at a club where, realistically, there is little expectation right now (similar to when Lampard went to Chelsea). Spurs are in for a tough 12 months at least, but a club legend will help fan relations, well...until Levy sacks him for underperformance on a minimum budget with no Kane. :facepalm:

10 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

It isn't even funny anymore.:(

10 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

If Klinsmann's telling the truth that he's really interested in the job, I can't understand why Levy isn't biting his hand off. Decent track record as a manager, albeit at international level, good opportunity to test himself at a club where, realistically, there is little expectation right now (similar to when Lampard went to Chelsea). Spurs are in for a tough 12 months at least, but a club legend will help fan relations, well...until Levy sacks him for underperformance on a minimum budget with no Kane. :facepalm:

"A club legend" with fan appeal...Alan Brazil has the popular touch I hear. 

Fed the right amount of alcohol daily he might also help them save on heating bills. 

0_Alan-Brazil-2.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bentrovato said:

Not sure if this is the right place. First Premier league manager sacking of the season. Xisco Munoz. Xisco Munoz: Watford sack manager after poor spell - BBC Sport

It's the right place in so much as this is where to post football sackings, but since the game started (last summer) he's the third manager sacked by Watford (including Hayden Mullins who was caretaker at the end of 2019-20).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bentrovato said:

Not sure if this is the right place. First Premier league manager sacking of the season. 

Who else read this far and thought it was going to be Steve Bruce?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Who else read this far and thought it was going to be Steve Bruce?

He's not sacked yet simply because Ashley can't be arsed with the hassle of finding a replacement.

Never been so glad not to be a Newcastle fan.

23 minutes ago, BuffaloPhil said:

He's not sacked yet simply because Ashley can't be arsed with the hassle of finding a replacement.

Never been so glad not to be a Newcastle fan.

Aye, not that I was in any danger of ever supporting Newcastle but...

Problems that'll take years to undo round theirs atm.

On 04/10/2021 at 09:37, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, not that I was in any danger of ever supporting Newcastle but...

Problems that'll take years to undo round theirs atm.

Update, new co-owner is meeting Steve Bruce. Could've sworn I saw a bone saw sticking out of the bag of one of her entourage as they headed inside. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58875224

• Haha 1