The Old Crem

15. Glynis Johns

3 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

Has any DL candidate ever had a shorter debut? Doesn't look like it.

No. In fact, the only time there has been an earlier hit in general was Helen Wills Moody in 1998, who died on New Year's Day (her death wasn't announced until the next day). That was her 5th appearance on the list, however.

• Like 2

Went to go cross her off my shadow list and she wasn't there.

Oops.

29 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

That is very true.. Did not think about it again that this is her first year.. 4 days Wow..Well Played DeathList

came back from my internet hiatus to say she did not look good for her age as she has previously quipped 

7 minutes ago, livingbygrace said:

That is very true.. Did not think about it again that this is her first year.. 4 days Wow..Well Played DeathList

Equals the late great Gerry Rafferty in 2011. He'd been on life support so we all had advanced warning he was going.

Love the picture they decided for her..in her iconic role with her sash.

• Like 4

Crikey.

Surprised she went first, but not surprised she was one of the first few she was the oldest one and "usually" the oldest ones go first

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimbean1121 said:

came back from my internet hiatus to say she did not look good for her age as she has previously quipped 

She said she looked good for any age I believe. 

Her voice was bad towards the end and she was clearly very frail buy less so than your average 100 year old and she still had all her marbles and looked like someone a fair few years younger ( not under 90 though) .

• Like 1

I feel it's gonna be hard to top her as the choice for the last person memorialized in the "TCM Remembers 2024" video.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, markb4 said:

I feel it's gonna be hard to top her as the choice for the last person memorialized in the "TCM Remembers 2024" video.

Unless DVD, Julie Andrews, or someone else of similar or greater statute, dies unexpectedly, surely?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, markb4 said:

If someone like Clint Eastwood or Jack Nicholson dies this year, it will be pretty easy to displace her as the close.

• Like 4

On 12/01/2023 at 20:20, oldhollywood said:

I find it hard to believe she hasn’t been included this year. Feel like it might be another pretty big miss. Hoping she makes it to 100+ though or pulls an Olivia de Havilland and lives well into her 100s

It was close. RIP

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

A mere 46 years after Matthew Garber. Has any other actor outlived their screen child by a longer stretch? 

Marsha Hunt played Bobby Driscoll's mum in The Happy Time (1952). Driscoll died 54 years before Hunt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Absolute disgrace (but not a surprise) that the corrupt honours systerm did not give this fine actress at least a Damehood. Joan Collins received one for The Stud, The Bitch & some creature feature involving giant ants whereas Glynis Johns was memorable in Mary Poppins & was also a singer - unlike JC.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

Absolute disgrace (but not a surprise) that the corrupt honours systerm did not give this fine actress at least a Damehood. Joan Collins received one for The Stud, The Bitch & some creature feature involving giant ants whereas Glynis Johns was memorable in Mary Poppins & was also a singer - unlike JC.

Not sure why you're picking on Joan Collins. I can think of dozens of people who are far less deserving of their Damehoods.

• Like 5

A perfectly timed addition - Not added at aged 90 and sitting on the list for the next 10 years in varying positions.

No, added at age 100 for the first time and spent 3 days alive on the list.

Ideal.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, jimbean1121 said:

One has to consider that 99 percent of the people born in 1923 are in their graves for a long time, and were more or less skeletons at their 100th birthday.

It is amazing that Johns was seemingly wheelchair-bound for about 20 years, judging on some photos of her from 2004. I appeared in a school play of "The Court Jester" around ten years ago, and I googled that the only surviving cast members from the film were Angela Lansbury and Glynis Johns. Lansbury was still very active, while Johns was already in a wheelchair and retired for a long time. And yet, Johns survived Lansbury.

And the Deathlist had a perfect timing.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Technically yes and no, Gerry Rafferty had his debut in 2011 and died on January 4th as well

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Insane said:

Technically yes and no, Gerry Rafferty had his debut in 2011 and died on January 4th as well

Matter of hours between the two. You could say it was Right Down the Line. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Watcher said:

Two points.

People are nominated for honours. Anyone can nominate someone for a Damehood, or any other honour. You could have nominated her - did you?

Sometimes people decline an honour.   They don't always make it public, so we wouldn't know if it had been offered.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Two points.

People are nominated for honours. Anyone can nominate someone for a Damehood, or any other honour. You could have nominated her - did you?

Sometimes people decline an honour.   They don't always make it public, so we wouldn't know if it had been offered.

Very true. Around the time of her birthday an MP (Chris Bryant?) proposed that Glynis Johns should be 'damed'. Nothing happened unfortunately. Mone became a baroness  in recent years & countless other poor choices have occurred. Incidentally Gyles Brandreth (who appears as desperate for a major honour as David Beckham) celebrated his 75th birthday onstage surrounded by about 9 Dames - I would repeat that many were not as worthy as Gynis Johns - including  Lady Plowright probably best known as the 3rd wife of Lord Olivier!

• Like 1

Oh, without doubt some utterly undeserving individuals have received honours through political corruption.  That's another issue though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Oh, without doubt some utterly undeserving individuals have received honours through political corruption.  That's another issue though.

"Dame Andrea Jenkyns" are three words that make me violently sick.

• Like 7
  • Angry 1

I think the issue with acting Dames is that they tend to award those in British theatre early - Kristin Scott Thomas for example - then they wait a little longer for the ones high in British cinema - eg Julie Walters - and then the ones who make their career in the US rather than the U.K. tend to have to wait til they’re super old or not at all - see Angela Lansbury and Olivia de Havilland. 

Seems to me that the damehood can depend on the amount of impact you have on U.K. rather than international cinema/TV. 

Obviously the rare exception such as Julie Andrews or Elizabeth Taylor but it’s much rarer for an ‘international’ British star to get a damehood early. 

• Like 3