arghton

People who've got a thread

On 18/06/2021 at 11:53, Lewd_Squirrel said:

I'm surprised that Christopher Walken doesn't have his own thread.

He now has one, I made a thread for him, last year. Should be added.

• Like 2

Does anyone think any of Doddie Weir, George Perez, Rob Burrow, Tom Weiskopf, Tim Bilton and Susie Steiner deserve their own threads on account of making the drop 40.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Does anyone think any of Doddie Weir, George Perez, Rob Burrow, Tom Weiskopf, Tim Bilton and Susie Steiner deserve their own threads on account of making the drop 40.

I wouldn't object but I might be in a very small minority on this one.

6 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Don't do that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Death Impends said:

Don't do that.

I won’t. Just raising attention that it’s a bit odd that people who make the crowdsourced or drop 40 don’t have their own thread despite the fact that really they should in my opinion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I won’t. Just raising attention that it’s a bit odd that people who make the crowdsourced or drop 40 don’t have their own thread despite the fact that really they should in my opinion.

It's as if names who are basically "they have cancer and they'll get a QO" can make the D40 or even the CSDL.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

It's as if names who are basically "they have cancer and they'll get a QO" can make the D40 or even the CSDL.

Weiskopf making the main list wouldnt have surprised  me through

1 minute ago, The Old Crem said:

Weiskopf making the main list wouldnt have surprised  me through

But he's NOT on main list and there is a golfers thread.

Wieskopf very nearly had a stellar golf career - he only won one Major - the Open Championship - but he was second at Masters 4 times, second at US Open and third at USPGA so one of golf's nearly men.

Two of his 4 Masters runners up were to Jack Nicklaus and another to Gary Player so lost out to some of golf's greats.

• Like 1

Most of those names wont live long enough to be worth a thread tbh.

Doddie might be on the DL next year, but maybe let Grim make the thread at that point if its needed. The admin can easily add all the pertinent Doddie Posts into the thread after the fact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are too many threads already.  It leads to endless cross-posting when someone dies who fits into multiple threads, and people being snarky with :clivedunn:

For instance Susie Steiner is already covered by the Authors thread and the Journalists thread.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

There are too many threads already.  It leads to endless cross-posting when someone dies who fits into multiple threads, and people being snarky with :clivedunn:

For instance Susie Steiner is already covered by the Authors thread and the Journalists thread.

I don't agree that any of the individuals mentioned by Crem above should have their own threads but I don't agree with your argument. On the contrary, if they have their own thread you don't need to decide between various occupational threads as to where to post it.

19 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I don't agree that any of the individuals mentioned by Crem above should have their own threads but I don't agree with your argument. On the contrary, if they have their own thread you don't need to decide between various occupational threads as to where to post it.

But they still get posted in those threads.

My own view is that dedicated threads should be kept to DL names, and people who are particularly newsworthy for whatever reason.  No point in a dedicated thread if there's not much to say in it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

But they still get posted in those threads.

My own view is that dedicated threads should be kept to DL names, and people who are particularly newsworthy for whatever reason.  No point in a dedicated thread if there's not much to say in it. 

100% agree.

IMHO, aside from the DL names, there should only be a dedicated thread if the likely volume of discussion or news about that person would completely take over a more generalised thread. 

In the examples above, it is extremely unlikely that there will be much discussion about Tim Bilton, and likely only occasional updates on his health until he dies. Even then, his death will only get mentioned. Leave him in the chefs thread, if one exists. Likewise Rob Burrow and Doddie Weir - what news is there likely to be that cannot be comfortably accommodated by the Rugby thread?

Dedicated threads should be very much the exception rather than the rule.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Toast said:

She doesn't even have her own Wiki page

Threads for sole individuals should be for:

1) DL names

2) Proper fully-blown A-listers over the age of 85

3) Anyone who is "death mentioned on the News at Ten" famous over the age of 90/with a condition liable to kill them within 18 months

4) Anyone who has a significant illness/health issue/dangerous lifestyle that provides regular content. Which is why Jenny Diski, say, was good for a thread, because she kept tweeting throughout her final weeks, but (looks at someone who won an award that Diski also won) Vikram Seth, even if he had stage 4 cancer, wouldn't.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Threads for sole individuals should be for:

1) DL names

2) Proper fully-blown A-listers over the age of 85

3) Anyone who is "death mentioned on the News at Ten" famous over the age of 90/with a condition liable to kill them within 18 months

4) Anyone who has a significant illness/health issue/dangerous lifestyle that provides regular content. Which is why Jenny Diski, say, was good for a thread, because she kept tweeting throughout her final weeks, but (looks at someone who won an award that Diski also won) Vikram Seth, even if he had stage 4 cancer, wouldn't.

Or even those with conditions that might longer than 18 months but are incurable and fatal. Dementia, MS, ALS, long term terminal cancer type of illness. 

47 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Or even those with conditions that might longer than 18 months but are incurable and fatal. Dementia, MS, ALS, long term terminal cancer type of illness. 

Not unless there's likely to be regular news on them.  As Spade said:

"Anyone who has a significant illness/health issue/dangerous lifestyle that provides regular content."

17 minutes ago, Toast said:

Not unless there's likely to be regular news on them.  As Spade said:

"Anyone who has a significant illness/health issue/dangerous lifestyle that provides regular content."

Absolutely - the criteria should be how much content they generate or are likely to generate, not whether someone feels they "deserve" their own thread. 

The first port of call should be to put someone in the most appropriate general thread, and then create their own thread AFTER it becomes obvious that they have "outgrown" the general one. 

There will obviously be some exceptions where people are so famous that it is obvious that they will need their own thread from the start (Johnson, Trump etc).  But those exceptions are not going to be chefs, golfers, rugby players and fairly low-level authors, regardless of what illness they have, or how long it is going to take to kill them. 

• Like 1

I think Spade's criteria carry the few threads I've started:

Chomsky - old, A list name, DLy and now on the DL itself.

Marsh - old, News at Ten name, in poor health

Hume - DLy, very famous and very unwell. Died within 3 years.

Fielding - very DLy and gravely unwell - lasted a month, alas.

Hardy - Felt DLy but also was not as busy as he used to be - dead within 2 years.

Ringo Starr - done to piss off Deathray.

Werner Herzog - created when pished

Went to post Bernie Ecclestone's latest gibberings in the Bernie Ecclestone thread, only to find we don't have one. Surely the most surprising omission around these aprts?

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

My list on the first page has been poorly updated for a while, I'll try to update it at some point, but I went through all the mentions of Ecclestone and seems like he  doesn't have one. 92 this year.

7 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Went to post Bernie Ecclestone's latest gibberings in the Bernie Ecclestone thread, only to find we don't have one. Surely the most surprising omission around these aprts?

Not really. He's extremely healthy and has been covered in The Chequered Flag thread. Good for at least 2 or 3 more years at least.

• Thanks 1

On 30/06/2022 at 17:09, Octopus of Odstock said:

Not really. He's extremely healthy and has been covered in The Chequered Flag thread. Good for at least 2 or 3 more years at least.

Not necessarily if he goes to jail.

On 30/06/2022 at 17:09, Octopus of Odstock said:

If it pleases the Court, surely the point of a thread is to provide updates on the living, rather than just to report they have died?

Thus I think there is good case to have a Bernie thread considering his age and the fact that he’s a ducking nutter. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Thus I think there is good case to have a Bernie thread considering his age and the fact that he’s a ducking nutter. 

The cunt doesn’t need to duck, he’s low down enough as it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1