Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2023

Nguyễn Thị Bình, Paris Peace Accords negotiator and signatory, still alive and 96 next year. I don't know how ill she is, but has seemingly lived in a hospital for more or less a year now. This picture is from last month.

nguyen.png.b8ba17b61faff2113ae19c77b3d94676.png

• Like 1

Two names never before mentioned on DL. I'm mentioning them because if people are looking for unique DDP hits, these two have had significant coverage from the BBC in recent years so their passings won't go unnoticed:

Trevor Hill (wiki), 98 next year, worked as a producer and director on the BBC. "Sooty" and "Children's Hour" were among his credits. Perhaps most notably, this is the man who broadcasted General Eisenhower's D-Day announcement of the landing of troops at Normandy!

He started working for the BBC in 1941, aged 16. Here's a clip of him returning to the Beeb in 2017.

Unknown.jpeg.2b180c7d078c3d62ad0686bbf7b1ed35.jpeg

Anna Del Conte (wiki), also 98 next year, Italian food writer though now lives in the UK. A personal hero of Nigella Lawson. Was still submitting recipes a few years ago and enjoys a lot of coverage around the web.

1616541619_4284.jpgcopy.jpg.b505d176bba815d759c97fb0b19e7cad.jpg

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Anna Del Conte (wiki), also 98 next year, Italian food writer though now lives in the UK. A personal hero of Nigella Lawson. Was still submitting recipes a few years ago and enjoys a lot of coverage around the web.

1616541619_4284.jpgcopy.jpg.b505d176bba815d759c97fb0b19e7cad.jpg

The girl from Del Conte, she say yes!

• Like 1

On 30/11/2022 at 17:30, Windsor said:

Poor Lady Susan Hussey has been forced to retire because some idiot over appropriated her own culture to compensate for the fact that she is a boring Brit. 

The stress of it, and the disgrace, may have a detrimental impact on her health. 

Apparently Lady Hussey is going deaf. Beginning to show her age for sure.

16 hours ago, Szabaka said:

Too late for Kristie Alley (Tv Cheers). 

Kirstie Allez. :tomatododge:

French author, journalist and intellectual Claude Sarraute Who will turn 96 next year can’t see, hear nor walk anymore. Rare public appearance for her 95 birthday earlier this year, she looks quite frail. In an interview in 2018 she said she thought about commiting suicide at some point. Will stay on my french list for 2023. She is the daughter of french-russian renowned writter Nathalie Sarraute (wiki

she used to be quite stylish and bougie 

14203CF5-B61A-4CBB-A6C5-3F687CDD16D8.jpeg

• Like 1

Two last minute suggestions to throw in for DL 2023.

Manmohan Singh - 90 years old,  has been in declining health for years and don't think he has much longer left now.

Constantine II of Greece - Hospitalized several times in recent years, is mostly wheelchair bound and in poor health.

• Like 2

French-Swiss actress Carole Dechantre has skin cancer since 2014. Talks about it freely and apparently it’s not that serious because she is treated and under control but worth mentioning for some pools here 

A couple to consider.

Tina Turner not in the best of health according various reports.

Clint Eastwood looking very frail these day at 92 has to be worth a punt

Cutting down my shortlist for the notable Oldies team, here's some folk I can't find room for, who could make a good team filler for others. They're punt/gut feeling rather than Absolute Certs otherwise you know, I'd be keeping them to myself. But I think a few of them could be good differentials for some DDP sides in 2023 tbh.

Rodney Marsh (1944) - Drink loving eccentric footballer of the 60s/70s, became an outspoken pundit fired by both Sky and Talksport for his jokes. One of those names that don't feel like they'd see advanced old age. Not to be mistaken for the dead cricketer.

Fred Housego (1944) - Taxi driving Mastermind champion. Writes books, wins quizzes, drove his taxi till 2007. Overweight and diabetic for much of his life.

Bob Marshall-Andrews (1944) - One time notable backbench Labour MP. Who doesn't like Bob Marshall-Andrews? OK, lots of people but if you can't find a spot on a theme team somewhere for a man who once reverse psychology gained a bunch of votes by ordering people not to vote for him, and once went on live TV to blame Tony Blair for him losing his seat, only for it turn out later he'd actually kept it, then who can you keep a spot for? 

Adam Hart-Davis (1943) - TV presenter, used to never be off the box. Combination of aging, grumpiness and rumbings about some Dave Lee Travis tendencies on set cut down his appearances. Looked a lot older and frailer when seen a year or two ago, and hasn't updated his website or once busy Facebook in years now.

Dennis Canavan (1942) - Politician who was once in the Labour party but later got elected as an independent MSP. Has had to bury all four of his kids. 

Sean S Cunningham (1941)/Brian De Palma (1940)/Dario Argento (1940) - Rarely mentioned (on here) big name directors in their 80s now.

Derry Irvine (1940) - Trained Blair, got a spot in the Cabinet, had a scandal. Used to vote all the time in the Lords, hasn't for three years now.

Anne Perry (1938) - Best selling crime novelist who was also a notorious killer. Hey, write what you know! Still quite active (at the writing, not the murdering!) but one to keep an eye on, and you know DI wants to write about that story one day.

Lance Henriksen (1940) - Looked quite frail in his last big TV thing, I thought, but never had enough room for the Aliens star.

Charles Cyphers (1939) - Regular in John Carpenter movies, he's the police chief in Hallowe'en, the weatherman in The Fog, and so on. 

Paul Vachon (1938) - Legendary pro-wrestler, looked and sounded like every breath could be his last in interviews earlier this year. I would pick him for Pan Breed if I had the space.

Tom Oliver (1938) - Lou from Neighbours, allegedly very ill now.

Andrew Davies (1936) - Possibly the most famous living screenwriter: House of Cards, Pride and Prejudice, A Very Peculiar Practice etc etc. Had cancer a few years ago, looked ghastly when I saw him interviewed before the pandemic, but said work kept him going. He's working on Sanditon at the moment but even he's had to reduce his workload now. 

David Winnick (1933) - Of course. The Ghost of the House of Commons could see 90 next June. How? Other than relaxing in his (forced) retirement, I've no idea...

(Wiki crashed mid-way through this. Also they've updated how imdb works and it sucks.)

• Like 3

I know Dennis Canavan and he's still very active, goes to the gym regularly and does a lot of cycling. It is really tragic right enough that his four children died before him.

• Like 2

From the Ideas thread for 2012

On 17/11/2011 at 15:30, Going Underground said:

I noticed someone posted regarding their concerns for Peter Kay even though there has been no public reports regarding his health etc.

I too have my concerns over someone famous and have to get it off my chest here (and also to say i told you so if it happens).

Mark Feehily from the band Westlife always gives me serious call for concern when i watch him perform on TV. His eyes and mannerisms make him look in a total daze and he doesn't seem to know where he is and what he is doing half the time. He seems like he is in some kind of comatosed state.

My missus tells me to stop being stupid when i mention Feehily and accuses me of being obsessed with Dead pools but this isn't really about picking someone for the deathlist, deadpool etc.

He really does worry me when I see him. I am indifferent about Westlife and their music and the people in the band seem ok lads to me so wish him or them no harm.

Maybe this is just the way Mark naturally is but i do fear for him.

Mark Feehily from Westlife has the pneumonia: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/westlife-struggling-high-notes-without-003926433.html

• Like 2

On 02/12/2022 at 06:26, The Daredevil said:

I can see Chris Rea taking next year’s no. 50 position on the DL, if not Vladimir Putin or Andy Taylor.

With the price of fuel he had better set out now to be WALKING home for Christmas. 

• Like 2

Hows William Shatner doing these days is it time for him to be beamed up.

I have a gut feeling that we will loose Del Boy (David Jason) this year

Shatner shows no sign of any issues (e.g. his flight to space on Bezos rocket a few months ago).  I don't think he will beam up for many years. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, drunkasaskunk said:

With the price of fuel he had better set out now to be WALKING home for Christmas. 

Or maybe switch to a motor bike

May be an image of 1 person, motorcycle and road

• Like 4

Valérie André, born 1922, first woman to be a general in France, was honoured earlier this year and doesn’t look too bad 

• Like 2

I think Yoko Ono should be recalled. I have this sense she might die in 2023. 

• Like 1

On 09/11/2022 at 22:17, Steve said:

Following the sad death of Leslie Phillips I have now entered Pope Benedict XVI in spot 14. Continuing the second half of my provisional shadow list:

26) Julie Goodyear

27) Rosalynn Carter

28) Yoko Ono

29) Bob Barker

30) Constantine II

31) Ethel Kennedy

32) Sonny Rollins

33) Paul Hogan

34) Vladimir Putin

35) Liza Minelli

36) June Spencer

37) George Soros

38) Burt Bacharach

39) Kenneth Cope

40) Grace Slick

41) Ricky Tomlinson

42) Dickie Bird                                      43) William Russell

44) Chaim Topol

45) Sandra Day O' Connor

46) Rob Burrow

47) Gene Hackman

48) Alain Delon

49) Petula Clark

50) Brian Blessed

My 5 subs I would offer at this stage are: 1) Ted Turner , 2) Nigel Starmer-Smith, 3) Roberta Flack, 4) Val Kilmer, 5) Alan Greenspan. In a few days time if things remain as they are I will put this list in for Shadow Death List Competition 2023.

My provisional 1-25 can be found on page 38 of this thread. 

13 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

I think Yoko Ono should be recalled. I have this sense she might die in 2023. 

Yes, brilliant suggestion, a must returnee for the 2023 DL, as much as Barbara Walters.

For a long time now, I have had the sense Ono might go at the big 90.

On 15/02/2022 at 12:59, The Daredevil said:

I’d like to see Yoko Ono, Willie Nelson, Vanessa Redgrave, Imelda Marcos and Bob Newhart return in 2023. I doubt Pope Benedict, Joanne Woodward and Linda Nolan will make the 2023 starting line but should they somehow, they really should return.

Revisiting all proposed ideas and possibilities since the start of this year.

This post is definitely up there in things that have aged like Daniella Westbrook's face.

On 30/09/2022 at 16:03, arghton said:

Looking forward to who'll be last from the current "perennial dementia sufferers" (ca. over 8-10 years), might've forgotten some. These people seem to never die:

1. Carmen Sevilla: 91, in late stages for over 9 years.

2. Joanne Woodward: 92, diagnosed with alzheimer's in 2008.

3. Pasqual Maragall: 81, suffering from alzheimer's since atleast 2007.

4. Margarita Terekhova: 80, suffering from it for over 16 years, in late stages for atleast the last five years, unable to talk.

5. Prunella Scales: 90, suffering from it since atleast 2014. Not sure what's the exact year but I recall people mentioning that she's been suffering from it for much longer.

6. Winnie Ewing: 93, in poor health for ages and suffering from dementia for an unknown amount of years.

7. Peter Max: 84, suffering from the disease for around a decade, was in late stages in 2019

8. Stella Stevens: 83, retired in 2010, possibly due to dementia, has been suffering from it for years.

9. Donald Sterling: 88, dementia for atleast 8 years + cancer.

10. Greg "Fingers" Taylor: Only 70, but suffering from dementia for more than 8 years and has been in late stages for years.

These people are lasting so damn long.

• Like 1